rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/9/24 1:34 p.m.

Looks like this has been a race car for many years but the current owner swapped in a 22R and trans along with a fiberglass Frogeye hood/fender assembly. The hole in the hood is ... unfortunate. And I find (IMHO) the choice of engine to be odd. Those cast iron lumps are pretty berkeleyin' heavy and there are many better mills to put the effort into.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/410045061472428/

Docwemple
Docwemple HalfDork
2/10/24 8:56 p.m.

Love this!

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
2/12/24 2:27 a.m.

Well that's a confusing but nice looking car. I'm also scratching my head on the 22 swap?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/13/24 1:52 p.m.

22r is an odd choice. You can throw a lot of money at them and they still produce less power than a k20

accordionfolder
2/13/24 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

It's also an engine everyone claims is indestructible that doesn't seem to hold up well at Lemons (I.e. racin'). Or so I've been told. 

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Dork
2/13/24 2:05 p.m.

thats a speedwell nose!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/13/24 2:12 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

It's also an engine everyone claims is indestructible that doesn't seem to hold up well at Lemons (I.e. racin'). Or so I've been told. 

My experience with my 22r was good.  But I can't say it was more reliable than any Honda or the 3.0 Vulcan ranger I owned. 

it ate a head gasket a year when I drove it like the 20 year old I was.   Always revving to the moon. 

a good modified 22r will produce 130-140hp. The lowest spec k20 was 150ish?

accordionfolder
2/13/24 2:24 p.m.

Copy that! I don't have any first hand experience - I've just heard/watched (lemons wrapup) them get dogged on a bit for grenading in the endurance racing setting. I've always thought they were a cool engine. The modded 22 puts them in the same range as the BPs that are pretty well documented/reliable in a racing setting, just short on power compared to the Ks.

rdcyclist
2/13/24 3:13 p.m.

And probably weigh about 100 pounds more. Cast iron block...

accordionfolder
2/13/24 3:33 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

Do you mean the BP or 22 ? I wasn't saying it was a good option compared to the K (or even the 22), but the BP is cheap and raceable, w/ a good RWD oil pan and super cheap RWD transmissions. It's a nice option for a vintage car looking for 130whp or so. I've owned and driven both the K, the BP of many flavors. My VVT car makes 140whp w/ no performance changes - just a fresh stocker, my 1.6 made 100 if it was lucky.

I didn't really mean to compare the two, just thinking about what I would stick in it if I was looking for that HP range. 

rdcyclist
2/13/24 4:35 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

No, the 22. IMHO, they're a boat anchor looking for a boat. Heavy, not very reliable in "race" trim and big. For the level of effort the BP, any K or an MZR makes way more sense. IMHO, of course...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sVTi5kfZWjGX44YBNZXE5fMiodz3JRIF5TvQa6u4a0XcMVsp6L14ZluFlcUMj2EZ