rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/20/24 1:04 p.m.

Wow, this one is right up someones alley. Doesn't appear to have a lot of rust and other than the slightly chewed up drivers door is fairly straight. The rear glass is there too!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/909470850708129/

drew944
drew944 New Reader
2/20/24 1:58 p.m.

Link goes to a 356 for 33 Steve's. At what price do they become Stephen's?

Still a cool car, just not the 'vo we are looking for

rdcyclist
2/20/24 2:41 p.m.

Fixeded... FB wouldn't change the post address for some reason.

rdcyclist
2/20/24 2:42 p.m.

In reply to drew944 :

I think they become Stephen's at 10k but we'll hafta ask Steve about that.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/20/24 3:38 p.m.

Whew... I'm still blown away by the asking prices for a running 1800ES these days. 

1800s hide their sins well, so it's probably a lot more rusty than it looks, but being in GA, maybe not... I'd need a lot more pictures before risking $5000 on it. 

rdcyclist
2/20/24 3:46 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

It's in California, the town of Galt which is 30 miles south of Sacramento. Probably very little rust but that would depend on where it was stored.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/20/24 3:52 p.m.

I do not understand why these things are so cheap? They only made 8000 of them and they are very stylish cars. Not to mention that you can actually drive one as if were a real car. $5k will barely buy you new sills on an MGB.

I am done doing restorations, but could be goaded into a more radical version of the Molvo if I found a decent body on a complete car.  I like the  factory orange color.

rdcyclist
2/20/24 6:12 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I'm about 90 minutes away from this one. I could be persuaded to go take look... cheeky

It would be worth it for the build thread. And to not have to watch you build another MGB from scratch.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/20/24 6:33 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

I think I am done with MGBs.  Owned mine for 40 years and finally sold it. Done a dozen and not much left to learn after this one. That Volvo at my door would be well over 10k by the time you ship and tax it over the border.

There is a guy somewhere east that will buy that up before anyone can beat him to it.P1800.com? It will be parted out as that is the best way to monetize an 1800ES that is not roadwworthy.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
2/20/24 7:47 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I've parted out 4 or 5 of them - though I am not the website you mention.  Currently have 3 on my property. None of them are what I would call "reasonable restoration projects". When they start to rust, boy do they rust. Like it's their job.  

Mrs. VCH actually finds them quite ugly. So I've never really been tempted by them, I mostly get them as mechanical donors for Amazons. 

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/20/24 8:11 p.m.

It's funny that it's in Galt.  I follow a Youtube fabricator channel (Make It Kustom) and Carl is doing a metalworking class in Galt in a couple of weeks.  You could show up with a project for the class!

johndej
johndej SuperDork
2/24/24 4:00 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/25/24 7:38 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

You  might be thinking of Don T in NY, but these days it's Nick Tarlton buying almost every car he can find. I think he's in the Midwest somewhere. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2lQUcRxGNJ1CP12CJRVdkY18faXYRvPTy2PCMzP3Lr4EBQVvx2y9EqeRFJor9EuT