1 2 3 4
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/6/22 12:27 p.m.

This is an honest "little old lady" car.

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS with only 59K on it.  This was my Mom's car, and she owned since 2007 IIRC.

Mechanically, this car is jam up.  Everything works.  Great power.  New tires.  All electric devices operate properly.  AC is cold as ice.  My Mom was terribly afraid of ever getting stranded by her car, and ALWAYS paid a mechanic to do any service work whenever it was needed.

The interior is also in nearly mint condition.  She cared a lot about her interior space.

Exterior, not so much.  She never cared much about what the outside looked like.  She was nearly 90 when she passed away, and was no longer a very good driver.  She mis-judged and bumped into things.  The only good news is that she drove really slow, so she never did bad damage.  All cosmetic.  The front end is broken, small dent in the trunk lid, scratches in the driver's door, clear coat fade.  All of it is repairable.

The car is completely rust-free.

It would make an excellent driver for someone who needs something reliable and doesn't care about appearance.  Or repair for a really nice driver.  Or a fantastic motor donor/ start to a racer.  Lots of uses.

We have a CarFax offer of $1000.  I have no idea what the car is worth.  But the proceeds will go to help my daughter through college, so I'd like to maximize it (while keeping it fair).

I'm looking for feedback for it's value, and offers from anyone who is interested.  

EDIT: CarMax (not CarFax)

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/6/22 12:28 p.m.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/6/22 12:29 p.m.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/6/22 12:34 p.m.

Car is located in Lexington SC 29072. 

I work in Middle GA, so transport to GA or ATL is possible.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/6/22 12:35 p.m.

What does the hive think this car is worth?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/6/22 12:39 p.m.

Honestly I would take the $1000 offer and run. I don't see there being much overlap between the market that values maintenance and low mileage and the market that's willing to buy a car with all that body damage. You and I know that's minor, but that's disqualifying (and a few grand to get fixed) for the average person.

Is there any chance you're willing to put a junkyard headlight on it to fix its greatest flaw? 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/6/22 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Thats fair.

I would certainly be willing to fix the light, but it won't mount well with the damage.  I'm not anxious to open a can of worms.

My daughter leaves for school in 2 weeks and we are selling our house, so I don't need to dig too deep into this project.  Someone else can enjoy.

I just drove it today.  It always surprises me how powerful it is and how well it drives.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/6/22 12:49 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I worked at a body shop in high school, and one of our regulars was a local buy here pay here lot. His jobs always came with strict orders to do everything as poorly/cheaply as possible.

One time I was tasked with installing a new headlight in a Civic that looked almost exactly like your P71. And the work order said something to the effect of "grab a few of those quick-knead epoxy tubes, make epoxy balls, and use them to replace all of the missing headlight mounting tabs.

So I made a few balls, pressed them where the mounts should have been, and then stuck the headlight into the car like I was assembling a Mr. Potato Head.

Somehow it worked perfectly. I would never do it on something I liked, but maybe worth a shot here?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/6/22 1:01 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I sent you a PM (about a different issue)

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/6/22 1:50 p.m.

Paul. PM sent. I'll give you $1,200. Sound good? Timeline is flexible. Likewise sending my kid off to college and I would fix and daily this to save some money.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/6/22 1:52 p.m.

This has instant, low-effort challenge car written all over it.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
8/6/22 2:49 p.m.

If OHS passes, I'll take it.  I live in Atlanta and am looking for a good car for my twins who will be getting a license really soon.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/6/22 3:07 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

It absolutely could be. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/6/22 3:10 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

This was the first thing I thought too 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/6/22 3:13 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

You've got mail

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/6/22 3:58 p.m.

I haven't owned a panther platform for years, would've been tempted.  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/6/22 3:58 p.m.

Damnit.  This is what happens if I go to the beach to be social with friends.

If the above fall through for whatever reason, let me know.  DD and first Challenge car.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/6/22 4:26 p.m.

My grand Ma quios has exact same damage from my own misjudgment moving a trailer around in the yard. Hit my own van! My fender and 'glass header panel are actually worse. 
Bought a pair of aftermarket cheap eBay headlight assembly's, and made a cheesy mount from , well, whatever the cheap strap metal comes with holes in it is called. Coulda done a bit better, but it was temp. 4 years now!

improved the look tremendously!!! Couple hrs. 

I do want to fix mine back up for my wife, and always look for a second one... plan to take two and make a super nice one for her, and a jalopy for me, out of what's left, but no money a. t. m. , and too late seeing it, as well

I see them all the time, some worse, some better. Asking price seems to be between $900 for one no worse, to 4 grand, to one no better. 
So, other than headlight tip, im no help. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/6/22 4:33 p.m.

Just as a counter point...  

https://www.iaai.com/VehicleDetail/33042212~US

2011 (so newer) with 98k (more miles) in Texas (so equally rust free) with more damage and Progressive has a "buy-it-now" price of $2,500 on the car.  After fees, that would be more than $3k. 
It might not sell at that price but somewhere with a number that is $2k+ out of pocket is likely.  

This place in High Point NC has this:

$150 for front Bumper cover assembly.  That might even get you the grille included!

$75 for fender

$50 for headlamp

$30 for side parking lamp

$75 for grille if they don't include it.  

$380 for all parts but I'd recommend asking for a quantity purchase price discount.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/6/22 4:43 p.m.

Looking further on car-part.com I also find this Maroon car in Dayton, Ohio area.  Their site shows they have a bumper assembly in stock but gives no price, expect similar.  No fender available.  

Winterhaven FL

$300 bumper assembly

$75 fender

$50 grille

$45 headlamp

$50 parking lamp

$520 total before negotiated discount

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/6/22 5:46 p.m.

The headlight and turn signal are not damaged.  The fiberglass-ish housing behind them is, so they are pushed in.

OHSCrifle
8/6/22 6:18 p.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to OHSCrifle :

You've got mail

Didn't see it right away. Gmail tossed your PM in the junk mail folder - but you've got mail now. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/6/22 7:06 p.m.

Car is sold. Deposit received. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/6/22 9:58 p.m.
SV reX said:

The headlight and turn signal are not damaged.  The fiberglass-ish housing behind them is, so they are pushed in.

Very glad that sold; sounds like your plate is full right now!

For those following along, the fiberglass part is called the header panel, on these cars. I got mine from Gumby, along with a few other parts. 
I'm still on the hunt for a right front fender (mines silver) yards around here want $150 or more for a fender, depending on how nice. I haven't paid it, since I'll find a decent price, amongst my travels, one day. 

OHSCrifle
8/6/22 11:56 p.m.

Now I need to figure out what to do with it. Definitely will fix the front end and daily it but the temptation is strong to find some Marauder rims (or steelies + bull bar) and an apple CarPlay stereo.

Hey Paul - does the car have dual exhausts or single? I can't tell in the photos. If there are any service receipts please send them along for the ride. I'm wishing your wife and daughter safe travels on the extended shake down/transport trip.

Lastly - Toyman or anyone else with a Panther from the 2000's - tell me what you've learned about these. I'm all ears. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zFZS5e8DSLQtt2oNYpGQvAZiAlOwAFyAp6ozgLxg8Up0XX4p6d3lj6b9BAnhbVa0