1 2 3 4
OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/13/22 9:55 p.m.

$&%# wrote a long reply then accidentally deleted it...

Nose job is underway. No structural damage behind the bumper cover and grille surround. 

I drove to Montgomery AL this morning and picked up a color matched but rough bumper cover from Pull-a-Part. Took a chance after seeing six 06-08 MGM on their lot. Also got a not color matched header panel and ordered some new hood struts. Dupli-Color rattle can primer, paint and clear is underway on the header panel. Hope to assemble everything this week and give it a deep clean. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/13/22 11:51 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Didn't happen to see a silver r front fender? Or any good fender, if cheap enough. How far from Montgomery are you?

OHSCrifle
8/14/22 9:12 a.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Didn't happen to see a silver r front fender? Or any good fender, if cheap enough. How far from Montgomery are you?

It was about a 2:45 one way drive. I was laser focused on finding burgundy header and bumper cover and didn't scrutinize any fenders. I took the only MGM header that wasn't thrashed.

If you need a fender, they had a ton of Crown Vics and I suspect  you could find one. Pull apart.com

Sunday morning progress photo

Edit: The monkey pox look is because the rattle can nozzle started pissing all over itself and my hand. That was fun. Gloves next time. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/15/22 1:09 a.m.

I always remember the nitrile gloves... after my hands ar trashed!

Didnt know there was one as "close" as Montgomery. I'm about 2 1/2 to 3, coming up from the S. E. 
None down here, and the local yards know it!!!

OHSCrifle
8/28/22 1:28 p.m.

Update.

...so this week my wife's sister GAVE us her 2013 Nissan Pathfinder and now I have +1 more car than I need. I haven't even gotten the MGM registered nor signed the title.

This is where the car stands. It's still dirty. The junkyard (rough, rattle can painted) header panel and bumper cover are installed. Panel gaps are not awesome but the hood closes fine and I believe everything is tight. Hood release operating fine. Needs a passenger side wheel well liner. Headlights work but one parking lamp appears to be burned out.  

Given the above situation that fell into our lap immediately after I bought this - if anyone is interested, I will sell this car WITH the replaced parts for what I paid SV Rex...

...which was $1,400.

car is located in Roswell GA. Post here and PM if interested. 

I'm going to optimistically hold 24 hours for SJKSS/Klayfish to have first dibs since he was also interested when I reacted faster on the original sale. If he's not interested and you are, hit me up.   

OHSCrifle
8/28/22 1:33 p.m.

new grille ordered, will be here Wednesday. Broken one visible leaning against wall

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/28/22 1:38 p.m.

I wanted it then (but did not act on it) and I still want it now. 

With a sister in Acworth this could be pretty easy even though I'm in Ohio. 

Id like to be added to the list of serious contenders 

OHSCrifle
8/28/22 1:48 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I wanted it then (but did not act on it) and I still want it now. 

With a sister in Acworth this could be pretty easy even though I'm in Ohio. 

Id like to be added to the list of serious contenders 

Thanks John. If Klayfish is out, you're 1st. I PM'd him just now as a courtesy. Once I hear back I will post here.

The nice thing about it is Paul's wife drove the car about 300 miles just a couple weeks ago so it's been tested. I don't have plates on it yet but would be OK to let somebody run it around the block.  

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
8/28/22 2:28 p.m.

Thank for giving me dibs!  I'm at Road Atlanta instructing HPDE, leaving shortly.  Will look and post back shortly 

8/28/22 3:49 p.m.

We're in!  Sent you an email.  We will figure out details tomorrow.

OHSCrifle
8/28/22 4:06 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

We're in!  Sent you an email.  We will figure out details tomorrow.

Replied. Safe travels. My wife is grateful that the car count will be shrinking!

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/29/22 2:57 a.m.

I wish she had waited just a couple more months. Maybe it will come around again!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/29/22 6:47 a.m.

Huh. I'll be darned. Haha!

OHSCrifle
8/29/22 7:25 a.m.
SV reX said:

Huh. I'll be darned. Haha!

Only one thing better (hopefully) than a really low cost car.. a free car. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/29/22 8:56 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

As I re-read your posting about getting a free car, my initial reaction is,  "that's great!" 

My secondary reaction after giving it some thought is, that's not the "truck/rugged" Pathfinder but 2013 was the first year of the "softer Pathfinder" in either fwd or awd but always with a cvt.  And, it is the cvt that's the Achilles heal.    The Pathfinder wiki listing even highlights:  

• Pathfinder utilizes a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) transmission made by Jatco; early versions of this CVT have proved to be problematic to the point of requiring replacement by Nissan in some 2013 and 2014 model years due to a hydraulic line size issue.

So, with that ugliness brought to light, what is the cause of the "free-ness" of the Pathfinder?  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/29/22 8:59 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Meh. 

I don't see any reason to assume the Pathfinder has issues. It's a family deal. And probably a better daily driver for a young driver. 

All cars can break.

Next in line gets the Merc.

OHSCrifle
8/29/22 9:35 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

A $4-5k reman CVT would hurt (a lot) but it's driving fine right now. Might have even been replaced for all I know. The donor uses cars like appliances and has them maintained at the dealer. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/29/22 11:04 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I don't know how far down in his list I am, but I know it'd make a very nice companion to mine. laugh

Use all the great prices to make one nice one, and the so so pieces to drive as my beater!

Just got a confirmed contract for the fall, starting 9/12 in Macon area, so praying it's really gonna last the 3 months predicted. So in a couple months, I might could justify it!

8/30/22 7:08 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I'm picking it up no later than Sunday.  Sorry.  If/when I decide to move on from it, I'll let you know.  It's going to be used as a learners' permit car for my twins and when they turn 16 next year it may go to one of them.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/30/22 1:52 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

Perfect plan. Little bit of a stodgy old lady's car for 'em, but mine has been, by far, the most reliable car I've ever owned. And that's some hard competition! 'Course, I've had a ton of the other type, as wellblush

P. S. I'll have one around for the rest of my life, so even if it gets hurt (God forbid!) there will be stuff on it I'll be interested in!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/30/22 4:59 p.m.

It was my daughter's first car too. Ultimately the "stodginess" won! laugh

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/30/22 6:47 p.m.

Listen guys, I just want a good frame, suspension, and rear end from one of these things.  If it comes with a car as well, great, but I need those bits at a reasonable Challenge price.

God forbid the twins wreck it or anything, but if it happens please think of me.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/22 7:00 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

What you trying to say about teen age drivers? 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/30/22 8:43 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I once rolled an '86 Pontiac Grand Am onto its roof with my younger sister and three of her friends inside it.  Mom and Dad had to drive 2 hours out to BFE Jefferson County to pick us up.

If anything, I'm saying that as a former teen driver, hopefully it is much much nicer than that one.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/30/22 9:33 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Worst car we ever owned.

Still angry almost 35 years later.  The my father-in-law gave my son a free 1995 Chevrolet Lumina that came in 2nd place.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RamTAHb625KPjdhLkwlE0gWgdZE8cazlsRmTvy1oCRRlBjj5BisVHmKgp6gC7beY