rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
5/31/22 1:12 p.m.

Worthy proposition?? This is close to me but I can't touch it until Friday. Maybe someone else? Owner claims new Hybrid battery but dealer asking $1500 to repair ABS issue

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 1:32 p.m.

Was just in Cuyahoga falls this morning. I would snag it if i felt like it, but I don't. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/31/22 1:40 p.m.

The dismantler in Ravenna will get to this before I can

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/31/22 1:42 p.m.

If it's the whole abs control module , then $1500 sounds cheap for dealer repair. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/31/22 1:43 p.m.

In reply to rustybugkiller :

If you can get to it in time, it could sell as a $5k car once all else is good

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/31/22 1:44 p.m.

If the rest of the car checks out, I think it's worth it. 

($800 buy-in plus $1500 in repairs = $2,300 Prius)  Seems like a decent price in todays market.  If you can do any of the repairs yourself for less even more winning.

Disclaimer:  in the last few months I've purchased  a pair of Prius's with over 500,000 miles of a combined mileage between the two.

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
5/31/22 1:56 p.m.

Does this meet height/width requirements for SCCA? Hmm....

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/31/22 2:22 p.m.
John Welsh said:

If you can get to it in time, it could sell as a $5k car once all else is good

I've seen 197k '06's listed for $6-7k around DC recently... iirc

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
5/31/22 3:42 p.m.

This always happens to me when I'm working.  can't even get to the bank before they close until Friday. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/31/22 8:38 p.m.
Turbo_Rev said:

Does this meet height/width requirements for SCCA? Hmm....

AutoX?

that's average track width / height > 1?  
If so, I get: ((59.3+58.3)/2)/58.7 = 1.002

for a 2009 touring

Also, I may or may not have a spreadsheet detailing how to attempt making a Gen2 Prius SundaeCup legal.  Although, reading around, there's some question about running maintenance mode to defeat the traction control.  Dunno how likely you are to fry a gearbox with a spin / off-track excursion?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/31/22 9:17 p.m.

$1500 in Mansfield could be a deal. The ad seems to be trying to say it won't start. 

I bet I could get it to start. 

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
6/2/22 6:30 p.m.
John Welsh said:

$1500 in Mansfield could be a deal. The ad seems to be trying to say it won't start. 

I bet I could get it to start. 

I bet you could too!

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
6/2/22 9:16 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Disclaimer:  in the last few months I've purchased  a pair of Prius's with over 500,000 miles of a combined mileage between the two.

My current odometer.  Runs flawlessly

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/2/22 9:20 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

yes yes

Prius C right?  I hope to get my pair that far and beyond.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
6/3/22 7:06 a.m.

Yep, 2014 Prius C.  Purchased at 291k just 8 months ago.  Driving the wheels off of it and super happy with it.  It's not a "fun" car by any stretch of the imagination, but it sure is fun when I pull up to a gas pump and see the poor soul before me spent $80+ in gas, and I spend about $25.

tastyguac
tastyguac New Reader
6/3/22 9:07 a.m.

Try combing Copart and IAAI for "mechanical" damaged Priux. They seem to go cheap, but it is always a dice roll on what failed to send it to the auction. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/3/22 12:57 p.m.

In reply to tastyguac :

I have bought many Prius from IAA.  The secret to a good deal, fo me, has been to go see the car in-person before bidding.   Ususally, IAA offers a few hours of inspection the day before the auction.  Though, you must have a valid annual IAA pass/badge to get on-site ($200 per year.)  It's the same pass/badge you need to be able to bid on the cars.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
6/3/22 1:55 p.m.

Is a Prius the only Toyota Hybrid that gets the 40-50 mpg ?

Did Toyota build any hybrids for GM etc to sell in the USA at the Newark plant ?

Thanks for the info

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/3/22 2:11 p.m.

Play around with the website www.fueleconomy.gov where you can find the EPA mpg rating for every car sold in the US since 1985.  There is also a power search function if you want to see only hybrids or other combination like only hybrid sedans built after 2010, etc.  

Sure, EPA's mpg is sort of theory but then also check the website www.fuelly.com where actual people self report their mpg returns.  

I don't know of any GM/Toyota co-venture hybrids.  I'm guessing your referencing cars like Corolla/Chevy Prism and Matrix/Pontiac Vibe.  Neither are hybrid offerings.  For the past few years now, Toyota has offered a Corolla Hybrid.  Sort of "same as Prius w/o funky looks."  

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/22 3:07 p.m.
John Welsh said:

For the past few years now, Toyota has offered a Corolla Hybrid.  Sort of "same as Prius w/o funky looks."  

^I did not know this. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PwXShqWO8JPelnaKBc08ko6kRPq51amSpxF65LwCVwsBQi05MTTxuny8h0Ii85iJ