914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/29/23 7:13 a.m.

Don't care, I like it! NMNA.  Pretty rust free living, gut it , add lightness and a cage, boom!

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/29/23 7:39 a.m.

GLC. Swoon. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/29/23 11:13 a.m.

Encouraging that there are still some worthwhile projects out there for under $5000.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/23 11:20 a.m.

"Here's a nice thing, I want to wreck it by turning it into a race car". I'd keep that the way it is and care for it. It's more interesting that way.

If you want a good starting point for a race car in CO, there's a Mk2 GTI with no engine or transmission in my town for $250.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1355397705010072/?mibextid=6ojiHh

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/29/23 11:30 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

"Here's a nice thing, I want to wreck it by turning it into a race car". I'd keep that the way it is and care for it. It's more interesting that way.

If you want a good starting point for a race car in CO, there's a Mk2 GTI with no engine or transmission in my town for $250.

Absolutely x 10 . That car needs to be respected and maintained as a quirky driver status. There's plenty of lesser stuff out there to gut and play race car games with.

hobiercr
6/29/23 12:36 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

Absolutely x 10 . That car needs to be respected and maintained as a quirky driver status. There's plenty of lesser stuff out there to gut and play race car games with.

x20. These cars in this shape do not exist anymore. I'd run the stock drivetrain and "maybe" run some shorter springs & nicer wheels, but keep the originals on the shelf. Treat it like a National Park and leave no trace you were there.

hobiercr
6/29/23 12:38 p.m.

Keith, I think this would make a great project for your guys. Hell, you could probably replace the head gasket in the parking lot and drive it home. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/23 12:43 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

Maybe, but nobody here has any need for a GLC wagon :)

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
6/29/23 1:19 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to hobiercr :

Maybe, but nobody here has any need for a GLC wagon :)

Wait, that matters?

EriktheAwful
EriktheAwful New Reader
6/29/23 4:14 p.m.

Yeah, that would get a rotary swap about five minutes after entering my garage. My first car was a two-door GLC, and I didn't realize at the time how awesome it was.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JMNiC0IbxCOcC3gWIBdxDFFnHegdQFetleo4dpa67M7OJaWXkrMOtHTc0s8uOr5q