Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
3/18/19 9:18 p.m.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/middle-haddam-bmw525i-wagon/6842995591.html

NMNA, seller comes off a bit like an shiny happy person, but the car is an awesome idea.

Please read the entire posting BEFORE you Email or Text me. Anyone asking if its still available will get a sarcastic reply and then deleted. If you are offering trade that fits within the parameters listed below, please remember that we will be dealing in RETAIL Dollars. If you are a dealer this could work to your advantage.

1993 BMW 525i Body sitting on a mid 90's BMW 850Ci Chassis. (no this isn't a misprint) 

It goes like this. The ultimate sleeper. Lowered, garage kept, never driven in winter by me.

850CI V-12 motor

850 CI 6 speed manual transmission, drive line and rear end

850 CI brakes and suspension

leather interior in good shape

20/40 3M window tint

17" wheels with Michelin Pilot tires

Stainless exhaust.

LED headlight system (6000 lumens per bulb)

New music system, Ipod, Satellite, CD compatible

Valentine One Radar unit built in.

Can only be seen by appointment ONLY

I don't need help selling it

If this ad is still running then this car is still for sale

I will consider a trade of one of the following:

2014 Cadillac CTS3.6 AWD Premium wagon

late model Jeep Rubicon 4x4

possible late model diesel station wagon 

Thanks for looking

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/18/19 10:03 p.m.

So an unibody body sitting on an unibody frame?  I'm confused. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/19 10:07 p.m.

So he’s basically looking for something that is worth 10x what his is in trade

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/18/19 10:42 p.m.

Hahahahaha Hahahaha 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
3/18/19 10:44 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Think engine, drive line, and rear subframe swap. I doubt the monocoque structure has been cut and welded. Patrick nailed it, the swaps are delusional. The car is cool if it was done well.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/19 9:38 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Sir he plainly says it's not a misprint. devil

chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/19/19 10:16 a.m.

Guy is lost, but the car is awesome.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/19/19 11:19 a.m.

Lowered, garage kept, never driven in winter by me.

so, um, who drives it in the winter?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/19/19 11:39 a.m.

For $18,000 asking price, he could have at least put a better (more authentic) set of M Parallels on it.  Some thing like this:

and NO WAY that's a chassis swap from the 850i.  Complete drivetrain & sub-frames maybe, but not the chassis like NOHOME did with the Molvo.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
3/19/19 11:41 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

For $18,000 asking price, he could have at least put a better (more authentic) set of M Parallels on it.  Some thing like this:

and NO WAY that's a chassis swap from the 850i.  Complete drivetrain & sub-frames maybe, but not the chassis like NOHOME did with the Molvo.

Agreed.  I got a good chunkle out of the frame swap comment in the ad.  Also, looks like he updated the ad to include the $18k asking price . At best, that's $10k too much.

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
3/19/19 11:54 p.m.

Hahahaha I love people on Meth. They come up with the best adds.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
3/20/19 7:10 a.m.

Craigslist ad from the future....

"Ugly old BMW station wagon my husband spent all his time on.  He recently passed from a stroke while diagnosing the 117th "check engine light" that he swore was the "last one, and it'll run mint after this".  Need money for funeral expenses- he spent it all on this damn car.  

$1500/OBO.  Needs towed."

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
3/20/19 8:24 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

OK, I'll play armchair quarterback!

M5 throwing stars, turbines, or correct M Parallells would definitely help a lot.  Or even some period-correct unobtanium euro import wheels. 

Seriously...this guy isn't even trying.  A thorough engine detail and better photos (in the LIGHT!) would go a long way if you're trying to sell a car for 10x the norm.  Maybe if the V12 had been upgraded to M-spec...ITBs?   People who'll spend that kind of money expect it.  It's tough to see how good the paint is in this picture. 

M-swapped manual E39 wagons and 7-series go for nutso money on BaT if they're done right.  Personally, I'd have gone for the V8 from an e39 540i.  Timing chain tensioners aside...it's got to be more reliable and a ton lighter...right?

Buying a swapped car from someone who doesn't seem to use the right terminology (frame swap, etc) is terrifying.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
3/20/19 8:24 p.m.

Seeing as as the E34, E32, and E31 share nearly all the same underpinnings, he isn't totally wrong . . . completely misrepresenting what was done . . .

Fitting  V12 in a E34 has been documented pretty well.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/20/19 9:38 p.m.

wow.... my favorite kind of craigslist jokers 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/8/19 6:12 p.m.

Bump. It's back

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/17/22 6:38 a.m.

Thank the canoe for bringing this beauty back up.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/17/22 6:38 a.m.

3M window tint makes the decision easy 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/22 8:20 a.m.

Wonder if it ever sold. 

May be he told the wife he would try to sell it but really did not want to sell it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hMmIN51CMcQlN7emszcwLtBKZikWGvnw8ikigatvtA9LmmoQtOcbsAXI05bbOlcP