1 2 3
akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/11/24 6:54 a.m.

I'll just leave this here for some light reading.

2.5 liter, straight six, idles so smooth I have to check the tach some times to verfy it's running,  Full time AWD, M52B25 engine, 4:10 axle ratio, bluetooth double din head unit, high quality amp JL maybe, possibly  upgraded speakers.  All windows go up and down, most door handles work, passenger rear outer needs a handle to work.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/bmw-x5-what-happens-when-enablers-and-grm-unite/239573/page1/

$1400

This low low price is less than you pay for almost any running driving beater.  It has a tailgate, haul wood with it.  Use it for a yard truck with heat and AC, I don't care.  Currently rolling on snow tires.  Vanos has been replaced and upgraded, vanos drive gears have not so they still rattle a bit at idle.  It has an generic brand Mass Air Sensor, tip in would be better with an OE part, Eh kids don't care.

Not only does this have LOTS of new parts from the engine swap plus a new battery and front brakes, it comes with spare stuff, like starter, alternator etc.   

Current state of tune is unknown, my boys drive it everyday to school and use it as a delivery vehicle, they don't complain, I don't ask.  One upgrade that would vastly improve the driving experience is the thingy that connects the shift lever to the  trans, the one at the trans it is worn.

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/11/24 6:56 a.m.

Expecting a flood of interest in this.

I'm in the six one six area code.  7 one nine 9 four seven 4 are my other digits for those who may prefer the direct line for a chat or text.

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/11/24 7:03 a.m.

Don't hate on my pixel count.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
9/11/24 7:05 a.m.

you're selling it for $1400?

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/11/24 7:25 a.m.

In reply to camopaint0707 :

Yes, why do you think it's worth it?  It may not be as nice as my build paints it, but it has been very reliable.

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/24 10:27 a.m.

I think it's a great deal at that. My driveway is full right now otherwise I'd be seriously tempted by it. Love the manual SUVs. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/11/24 12:17 p.m.

This is almost an analog vehicle now, not abs or traction control, manual trans, stupid transfer-case.  It just does as it is told.  

Doing trucklet things, 6000 towing capacity, WHAT?

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/11/24 12:18 p.m.

Current state of appearance, well except I have the lower front valance painted black now.  This thing is a can of appliance enamel away from mint.

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/11/24 12:23 p.m.

Hauls 12' lumber with the window down.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/11/24 12:54 p.m.

Great deal!

You forgot to mention that ALL the pixels work!

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
9/11/24 1:01 p.m.

Great deal! If i had the space/time, i would be really tempted to boost and body swap this for the challenge. AWD/manual/turbo/I6? berk yeah

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/24 1:16 p.m.

Just trying to enable some people. ECS Tuning makes a lift and roof rack for it. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/11/24 2:17 p.m.

In reply to dan0 :

Yes, the possibilities are endless, move the hatch forward for a 14" box with short gate.

Rear seats have power recline so you could make it into a can crusher.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/11/24 5:25 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Two questions:

How is the rust situation?

Did the frame rail relief cut get welded up yet or still needs done?

Edit: what kind of gas mileage does it get?

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/11/24 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Chassis is solid, except for that small gap that could stand to be welded.

Mileage is somewhat speed dependent, but 20 give or take.

No SRS, ABS, or any nanny's of any kind in this.  Not that someone couldn't fix them I just haven't.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/11/24 11:19 p.m.

If the tow rating is legit, I'm EXTREMELY interested! Logistics may be tough, but I definitely need a tow pig, that gets better than my current 10 mpg to work,after getting my camper to the the job area! 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/11/24 11:26 p.m.

DM sent. 
Don't have time to read the build thread tonight, but will

If you can do a cliff notes version, I'm in!

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/12/24 6:56 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

From General RV center.

X5

Engine3.0L I-6TransmissionManualNotesMaximum towing weight for trailers without brakes is 1650; off-road trailering is 3300 lbs.Towing TypeBumper Pull - Weight CarryingMax Towing Capacity6,000 lbs

This tow rating is more than the automatic version because I think the manuals get the 4:10 gears.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/12/24 7:44 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I'd be buying this to replace my other Rig.  

If I recall correctly, aren't you an Armada guy.  Would you be interested in a trade for this Gambler?

Link

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/12/24 8:22 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Yes, I have an Armada.

No, I don't want to trade.  I would love to but SWMBO would not allow it.   You know you will need a trailer to take the whole family in an X5.

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/12/24 8:25 a.m.

My boys and I will be spit shining the X5 Saturday and putting a for sale sign on it.  

Buying another car right now was not a popular decision with SWMBO, so it needs to move.   

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/12/24 12:23 p.m.

That's cool. My Merc would tow the camper I have now, if it had the 3.73 or 4.10 gears. With the current 2.93 gear, it would tow the weight, but I'm concerned about the tall air dam! 
Now, I just gotta get a confirmed contract for the fall, and I'm on it!!!

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/12/24 12:27 p.m.

If I read right (might not have) doesn't it now have a 2.5 instead of the 3.0? Stock for stock, the smaller 6 gets about 35 less ponies. 'Course, I haven't really had time to read through what all you've done - want it at any rate!!!

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/12/24 12:57 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Correct M50B25 out of a 325iT late 90's.  Seller of the engine had a set of headers that would have made up for the difference but I opted for the easy button.

I believe you have first dibs as long as it can get paid for and or removed in the next week.  SWMBO is not happy with my spending habbits lately and wants some back in the bank.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/12/24 5:50 p.m.

With the loss of a contract from when the guy rear ended my camper, and totaled it (still not completely settled from that one) I've been spending a bit more on transportation, than is left, after minimum bills are paid! So my wife agrees with her. 
Fortunately , 90% of the time, we pay the CC off every month. But last few seasons (major contracts are in spring and fall) we've had to pay a bit of interest a month or two, till income catches up!

Doubt I can pull it of in the next week, so definitely move it if someone throws the cash your way, but I'm definitely trying. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5uCfQi4vRCdy5BAN5dASU9Q1yUaO4VrNUMYSU7az8w3LrJZLmjSV3LxZgddu1SKs