1 2 3 4
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/23 7:47 p.m.

Yes Michael is right that I'm an odd bastard.  Looking for a Citicar or one of the variants.  Not concerned about the electronics as much but prefer the plexiglass side windows.  Let me know if you see any.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/23/23 11:47 p.m.

That didn't take long, did it?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/24/23 7:39 a.m.

IIRC, Mr Joshua had 2 for a long time (including the one he brought to the Challenge).

You're in his neck of the woods. See if he still has one. 

Be prepared to be surprised at just how little actual  car exists in a Citicar.  There is probably more metal in a twin sized bed frame. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/23 7:45 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

The bed frame will be stronger as well. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/24/23 8:18 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Yeah, I wish I was exaggerating. The frame looks an awful lot like 1 1/2" angle. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/24/23 8:42 a.m.

I've seen a number of them come up without searching on the local (Ontario) marketplace. Some of them were pretty cheap. Found these easily enough. Multiply price by .75 for US dollars

Looks rough but cheap

Looks good but expensive

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/24/23 8:51 a.m.

As a recovering alcoholic and addict, im not sure I've EVER been berkeleyed up enough to find these ugly bastards attractive. 

I do not want a hit of whatever you're smoking stampie. 

But ill help you get a big fecking forklift motor!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/23 8:53 a.m.

Carli says you don't need more cars no matter how small

Stampie
7/24/23 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I like the price of the first one but that second one is way much.  How does it work bring cars from Canada to the US?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/24/23 7:05 p.m.

I don't know much of anything about these cars so I did a little research to see if I should want one.  After this video...not, I don't want one. 

Any more current golf cart adapted for the road would be better.  

Stampie
7/24/23 7:09 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yep that's one of the videos that confirmed for me that I wanted one.

Edit - One of the issues, besides boring, with street legal golf carts is they normally are limited in top speed.  That ain't for me.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/24/23 7:34 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

The Citicar is most definitely limited in top speed!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/24/23 7:35 p.m.

Without a drivetrain swap, the top speed is 35 mph. 

With a drivetrain swap, the risk is that the drivetrain falls out. 

Stampie
7/24/23 7:56 p.m.

Florida Statutes, defines the rules in section 320.01(22) as "a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 MPH."

The top speed of any particular C-Car will vary somewhat depending on many factors, including: tire pressure, vehicle weight, alignment, brake drag, windows open/closed, transaxle oil viscosity, temperature, chemistry, age, condition of the batteries, force of possible headwinds/tailwinds, etc. These factors can make some C-Cars a bit faster or slower than others. Approximate top speeds expected with a Citicar on level ground:

• 36V – 25 to 28 mph (40 to 45 km/h) (original SV-36 – six 6v batteries)
  • 48V – 34–38 mph (55–61 km/h) (original SV-48 – eight 6v batteries)
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/24/23 7:57 p.m.

How about...

asking $6k w/46k

Stampie
7/24/23 8:07 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

You know that's cool and I've also considered a Smart EQ Fortwo as they meet my goals right out of the box.  Only problem is they're a little to refined for my taste.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/24/23 8:12 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Yep that's one of the videos that confirmed for me that I wanted one.

Edit - One of the issues, besides boring, with street legal golf carts is they normally are limited in top speed.  That ain't for me.

Yep. Citicar is a Car,  not a NEV. The best selling electric car in the US for many many years no less. The Car designation means no classification based speed restrictions.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/24/23 8:14 p.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to Toyman! :

Yeah, I wish I was exaggerating. The frame looks an awful lot like 1 1/2" angle. 

2"x4" aluminum tube lowers and I believe 1.5" roll cage structure. The roll cage makes almost no effort at triangulation, but the frame is reasonably sturdy.

Stampie
7/24/23 8:14 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Thank you.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/24/23 8:16 p.m.

Someplace cold might be a better place to buy one from. The plastic on the two I have (completely dissasembled) cracks when you look at it because of all the time in the Florida sun.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
7/24/23 8:19 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to John Welsh :

You know that's cool and I've also considered a Smart EQ Fortwo as they meet my goals right out of the box.  Only problem is they're a little to refined for my taste.

You don't want a Smart EQ because of the battery software.

The motor is still pretty cool, but has a top speed of 79 mph with 205/50-15s. Likely faster than you need for a Citicar.

Stampie
7/24/23 8:35 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

I haven't researched much but is there a fix for that?  What I like about the Citicar is I can use a lot of more modern electronics without the limits of a golf cart conversion.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
7/24/23 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

My data may be old, but my understanding is no. A battery that records an error permanently locks itself out until serviced at the factory. The EQ was a very early car, Tesla made the battery packs before Tesla was making their own cars. Most EQ cars have the battery on lease, and it is not owned with the car. Purchasing a battery is about the same price as the lease, and has no warranty, really. You lease use of a good battery and if it dies they give you another.

Somewhere in the firmware is a handshake that you can't cheat. 

My plan is open source mod Prius parts, which I believe can fully power the motor, I hope.

Edit: I want to find two 100mm Rabbit mk1 output flanges, then I work out oil seals, then I post pics and info for the motor. I am modding for 100mm VW axles and 90mm VW axles for logistics purposes.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/24/23 8:46 p.m.
SV reX said:

Without a drivetrain swap, the top speed is 35 mph. 

With a drivetrain swap, the risk is that you die. Violently.

Fixed

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/24/23 8:50 p.m.

Man I wish I could weld aluminum. Think Exocet for people who think exocets are fat and pudgy.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zvvXjmzxjYByM3899J6nbbgTD7GyrNpEikbgxjYvk1dYfl5EJHzcQTAc38WDZiJm