Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/21/24 8:44 a.m.

If a pristine, concours-ready Mercedes-Benz 300 SL will set you back over $2 million, how about one that needs work? Try $4.5 million or more.

Why is this 300 SL worth so much more than one in No. 1 condition? For starters, the car was ordered new by 24 Hours of Le Mans champion, N.A.R.T. owner and North American Ferrari importer Luigi Chinetti. (Per the seller, Chinetti is believed to have ordered the Mercedes to compare against his then-current stock of Ferraris.)

The Gullwing is also billed as the only alloy-bodied example to be finished in black over a red interior. And while the 300 SL was repainted sometime during Chinetti’s ownership, the car still retains several original components including the interior, engine, gearbox, rear axle, steering box and front spindles.

Find this 1956 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL 'Alloy' Gullwing for auction from RM Sotheby’s with an estimated value of $4.5-$6 million.

gsarahs
gsarahs New Reader
9/21/24 6:55 p.m.

Our 2 prime ministers Trudeau had the family 300SL roadster in the same shop as my Austin-Healey, and an alloy Gullwing was in the same shop when my Healey was there for her restoration. It sure didn't look like the $4.2 million it sold for.

My personal preference would be a roadster, since a lot more user friendly. I have both in 1/18 scale so will be quite happy to look at them in my display case whenever I want to, without having to sell my home to afford the real thing. The thing that gets me with these atmospherically priced vehicles is how much you can obtain for a fraction of the cost, and mine are all in great or restored condition. My fleet of 6 collector cars are probably worth only 10% of what this will sell for. I feel fortunate but I am in comparison just a mere mortal!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cjghWFpXb3DAAeZ1E7K9l59WxlYacBEDqS9VfFyVYi7lQxUl3ZiUYG7w4qjjWqvP