Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
12/7/20 1:29 p.m.

Sure, your workspace will always be a project in itself, but these 10 essentials are a solid foundation for a well-stocked shop.

Read the rest of the story

Biff
Biff
12/8/20 6:07 a.m.

Although I haven't bought it yet, my next workspace will have a parts washer.  I remember my dad cleaning parts with gasoline using a coffee can and a small brush.  That was fine until the cigarette in his mouth ignited the fumes in an empty can and burned off his eyebrows and the front of his hair.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
12/8/20 11:02 a.m.

I just wish my work space had that much room clear of cars and parts stacked up around the edges!  Best work space feature is a storage place somewhere else!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/8/20 3:45 p.m.

I've been redoing mine, and I'll share pics once it's finished. But just getting rid of stuff has helped a lot--selling some parts, finding good homes for others, tossing away garbage, and sending hazardous stuff to the collection site at the landfill. Plus LED lamps are pretty helpful. 

Bardan
Bardan New Reader
3/21/21 2:49 p.m.

On the part about tunes, I worked for a guy that always had country music on. As a teenager I wanted rock so I asked "do I have to listen to that s#%@?". He said that rock music get mechanics all tense and they damage cars, country music relaxes them and they do less damage. He was right!

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/21/21 8:06 p.m.

Very true.  I am usually playing "slow blues" now, which I find is much more calming than metal.

bencii
bencii New Reader
3/11/23 2:41 p.m.

I would like to know whose MGB did that center console speaker come from?

Kayfriedrich
Kayfriedrich
4/11/23 2:17 p.m.
Carl Heideman said:

Sure, your workspace will always be a project in itself, but these 10 essentials are a solid foundation for a well-stocked shop.

Read the rest of the story

Kayfriedrich
Kayfriedrich New Reader
4/11/23 2:20 p.m.

I have as an priority tool 2 pillow for may nees

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/12/23 6:17 a.m.

I use the same ones. They work great.

njcoop
njcoop
5/28/23 10:16 a.m.

I would like to add two other items.                                                                                                                                                                                                        The first one is a hockey puck, at least one for every floor jack you use. Place the hockey puck in the saddle of your jack to prevent damage to the vehicle you are raising.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            The second is a refrigerator or cooler. You have to stay hydrated, but it is really nice after you clean up for the day, to spend a minute and have a"garage" beer to relax and make plans for tomorrow.

Bazemore23
Bazemore23 New Reader
8/19/23 11:47 a.m.

You missed a strong portable shop vacuum , which I have two - one on each side of the shop. 

cwfritz
cwfritz New Reader
8/19/23 12:01 p.m.

Jackstands!  Also strap-on knee pads and a floor creeper.

dcj_4208
dcj_4208 New Reader
2/3/24 9:23 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

The old SF BMC-  the Rolls Royce mechanics -there were two- played classical music and had wood shavings on the floor. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7xQq2bQAjtbQbRQewHGYgkWXrdwDE2FSYVFDUx1kSA50aUTzDgrT32o2ndBLeoQ2