1 2
spnx1
spnx1 New Reader
11/25/10 10:14 a.m.

Thank you, mysterious being.

pro4art
pro4art New Reader
1/1/11 9:07 p.m.

Worked on a few SP250s in my day. More a crusier than a sports car, but does handle OK. Always thought the frame similar to a TR3/4. The gear box IS a TR look alike, except the Daimler has Close ratio gears, so I recall. Out of 6 or so I worked on, (Columbus, OH0, 2 were silver, and 4 of the 6? had a very slow engaging pressure plate. Quick shifts, 2nd and 3rd, clutch slipped. Could have been a fault in the slave cly hose, which can go bad inside, and cause slow clutch engagement. Still have org factory shop manual

spnx
spnx New Reader
4/11/11 10:08 p.m.

Debatable. I've seen SP250s do quite well in vintage at Mosport.

Although it has a live rear axle, it does have four wheel disc brakes and that nice hemi V8.

I went to the shop last week. The car is doing well.

More pictures to follow.

dougie
dougie Reader
4/11/11 10:36 p.m.

Nice work and great progress from the start....... And yes, there are a few that do pretty good at the track too. http://www.BritishRaceCar.com/JosephDockman-Daimler-SP250.htm

Dougie

spnx
spnx New Reader
4/12/11 9:25 a.m.

Thanks! Great link. I should post some other pics of racing SPs, but first...

My dad went through three sets of tires in four years, so this set only have a year worth of wear on them - but the car's been stored since 1966.

I'll be going with radials, rather than crossplies.

For scale (that's me!)

The wiring harness is laughably simple compared to a modern car:

I love the view down the bonnet:

New leather interior and carpeting:

Nice, clean panel lines (this is the door that was broken in half to set straight):

Shiny generator cover.

I have some interesting pictures of other cars from the shop, including two cars that finished the Peking-Paris Rally, and have returned for rebuilds. I was happy to find them there.

spnx
spnx New Reader
4/13/11 2:15 a.m.

Trailer queen 1968 Charger. It will never be driven on a public road again. Even the fuel tank has three coats of clear and SS straps. In my mind, it's no longer a car.

When I got my other car back from a bare metal restoration, I was out that weekend doing handbrake slides on gravel roads. But that's me.

XK120 being restored. Nice to see something that required more money being invested in bodywork than my car. It made me feel a bit better. Lots of work with the English Wheel required on this one.

Nice old Chrysler:

Various things under tarps. Identify them if you will.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
4/13/11 12:49 p.m.
spnx wrote: Trailer queen 1968 Charger. It will never be driven on a public road again. Even the fuel tank has three coats of clear and SS straps. In my mind, it's no longer a car.

Yeah... that might make sense for something rare like a '69 500 or a Daytona... maybe even for a numbers matching Hemi car... but for a run-of-the-mill R/T? I don't get it. And I really like Chargers.

The Daimler looks great!

spnx
spnx New Reader
4/13/11 12:58 p.m.

I don't know. I think any car is made to be used. I'm a strong believer in racing vintage race cars as well.

Thanks for the kind words about my restoration!

spnx
spnx New Reader
4/13/11 5:30 p.m.

And as promised...

Rupert
Rupert New Reader
4/15/11 2:27 p.m.

Sweet Ride! Good Job on the restoration! But I am truly pleased you actually drive your cars. I never could understand people who consider any machine a piece of sculpture that just happens to have wheels!

spnx
spnx New Reader
5/3/11 11:22 p.m.

Thanks! I don't get that attitude either.

Even though I had to restore my car, I'm looking forward to establishing a patina from regular use. Especially those leather seats. They just look too darn new for a 50-year-old car :)

wspohn
wspohn Reader
5/4/11 1:54 p.m.

A very nice restoration effort you have going!

The SP250 always had a great engine, but suffered from the basically Triumph chassis in terms of handling. I recall racing in the US against them many years ago and having a hard time staying ahead of them in my MG Twin Cam if I let my rpm drop at all - they haul along the straights like a torqemonster - remind me of a Healey 100 thumper.

I also like them because they are the only car that comes to our local shows that can make my Jensen CV-8 seem good looking in comparison.....

Having done several fibreglass restorations I don't think I'd have another one in me, but am glad to see someone else doing it.

spnx
spnx Reader
5/28/12 3:05 p.m.

This is excruciating!

But it's getting closer...

I'm waiting on parts to come back from rechroming. In the meantime, the interior is going in.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
6/11/12 9:12 a.m.

Welcome back and thanks for the update.

Been a long journey. May your shake-down issues be few. I find that phase to be the hardest of any restoration.

davewillson25
davewillson25 New Reader
7/7/12 11:03 a.m.

I knew this vehicle would look wonderful here regarding the Classic Motorsports site. Thanks for sharing this alongside the community.

spnx
spnx Reader
3/23/13 11:46 a.m.

Leather interior being prepped: Convertible hood: I love the deck lid fuel filler:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bEIUs5zl2mSXy6I7BGINz0Zshvl7EvL1MQC5HI4ZSFf7GnHNLPZ2NbuLWul6Kh4h