robert123
robert123
8/11/08 10:48 a.m.

Bilstein, KYB and Koni all make shocks for my 72 Mercedes SEL280 4.5 Anyone have an opinion as to what the best shock is? thanks,

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
8/11/08 12:12 p.m.

Everyone has a different opinion about what they like, but my vote is Koni all the way. Bilsteins are way too harsh in my opinion, KYBs don't have the same quality but are a good budget piece, but Konis have always worked the best in my applications. More rebound than compression leads to a more controlled chassis in the "off the shelf" valving department.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/08 2:09 p.m.

I've found it the other way around. The Bilsteins tend to be a better street piece and the Koni's tend to be a little choppy until you get them into the twisties where they shine.

Obviously it is about the specific valving used in that application.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/11/08 3:46 p.m.

Bilstein race shocks on my BMW actually ride very nice, even with lower and stiffer springs. Typical overbuilt German quality. Koni also makes a nice product. I don't think KYB is at the level of either one. The regular GR-2's I had on my Fiat were too stiff and simply didn't feel like they were engineered for the application. Still better than the Tokicos I bought for my CRX. Those were truly uninspiring.

OFracing
OFracing New Reader
8/14/08 11:35 a.m.

I'm happy with the 5 year old Bilsteins on my 77 Mercedes 450SLC on the street. It's a heavy car but the Bilsteins seem to control it just fine. The old shocks were Konis of an unknown age and they were just plain worn out so I can't give you a fair before and after comparison. In my race car, a 63 Triumph Spitfire, I replaced the Konis with Spax shocks. In this case, the Konis were still good but the body of one cracked and I couldn't get it rebuilt. A new set of fronts for the car were ~$800 while a top of the line, multi way adjustable SPAX were "only" ~$350. After 2 busy seasons I'm still very happy with the Spax. A road car version for a Spitfire run about $90 per corner.

mike

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u5Ygge5NmCGRJojoXIhRPqlkMNwPYz7GpCKWTay8TCCL4OZqWZ8NeAyqtLHwP7dG