morrel1
morrel1 None
3/24/11 10:33 p.m.

I have a 1967 Triumph Spitfire MkIII that I obtained for my first restoration project. I'm tackling the brakes first. When I disassembled the calipers I found the inside brake pad worn disproportionately more than the outside pad. It turns out the outside piston is seized. When I removed the piston from the caliper I found it was rusty and the cylinder was full of debris. Should I attempt to refurbish the caliper or just buy an all new caliper set? I'd prefer to play it safe with brakes. Also, is there a consensus on the advantages/disadvantages of switching to DOT 4 ot 5 fluid?

Rhodyspit75
Rhodyspit75 New Reader
3/25/11 5:47 a.m.

Over hereYou might want to check out this other forum . It's all Spitfire/GT6 related. As far as the switch from DOT4 to DOT5 boy are there opinions

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
3/25/11 6:39 a.m.

My 2 cents:

Do not use Dot 5. Its a pain in the tail. The brakes never feel firm.

Take your time when you service the brakes, and all will be right with the world.

I would NOT replace the calipers. Sandblast them, inspect, and rebuild. The actual caliper rarely go bad. Its the pistons and seals, usually due to neglect.

Leo

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
3/27/11 6:33 a.m.

Pop the pucks out of the caliper bores. If there is no pitting visible in the caliper casting, re-assemble with new pucks and seals.

I run DOT 5 in all my Brit projects. Although I understand the physics of why people claim the pedal is mushy, I have never experienced the problem. I think it has more to do with people pumping the pedal like crazy when bleeding. Pedal pump should be slow and steady. Even with glycol it makes huge difference.

While DOT does not suck moisture from the air like glycol based products, it still acquires moisture and should be flushed on a bi=annual basis if you want the cylinders and lines to last forever.

I run the DOT5 ever since I refinished an engine compartment only to experience a leak in the Master Cylinder that removed all the paint from that corner of the newly restored car. So much for a very expensive paint job and a lot of work.

OFracing
OFracing Reader
3/29/11 7:00 p.m.

I use the Dot 5 in my street and race Triumphs. I used to use DOT 3 and I really don't notice a difference. All things being equal It's British, it's going to leak, save the paint, go DOT5.

mike

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
il2JMIf1BysKU7Wf2xDklxCOgnPCPpYRMzNIsYqomCKZW6mV304u4qAeRXk5mOHw