Tahoe
Tahoe New Reader
12/12/12 11:13 a.m.

Just read the article and I've done 26 out of the 40 so far. To be honest I'd love to go to Europe and do everything there, but it's unlikely, unless the timing is right. Realistically I'll probably do 30 out of 40 before kicking the bucket, and I can live with that.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/12/12 2:22 p.m.

That's pretty good. You know, I didn't even do the math on my own progress.

The story has generated some great additions from our readers. If you have anything that should be added to that list, just send me an e-mail.

Thanks!

Tahoe
Tahoe New Reader
12/12/12 3:31 p.m.

I should at least give you my favorites.

I have driven cross country twice, once with a 56 Chevy towing a 53 vintage trailer (over 7000 miles), and later on I drove my first Lotus Elan (approx 5000 miles). Those 2 trips are forever burned in my memory, and are number one on my list.

Second on my list, would be anything and everything that I've done during the Monterey weekend which is a lot and every event is in my mind worth it.

Third, which supprised me, because I hadn't really thought about it much lately, is all of the Cars & Coffee events I attended while living in SoCal. Some of those Saturday morning were very special because of the cars I saw, and the people I met.

1 & 2 on my still to do list, are Bonneville and the Goodwood Revival.

Thanks for the great magazine!

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
12/13/12 9:12 p.m.

I would agree with Tahoe:

A long cross country road trip. While stationed in Germany, we took a 1973 VW bus and drove from Frankfurt to the eastern most islands of Greece. Only had to take the engine out of the van 3 times. I also flew a helo from LA to Cleveland OH. Not a car, but the same effect.

Major Vintage Car event...Not quite Goodwood, but my wife and I go to Watkins Glen every year. I dont concider Pittsburgh on the level of Watkins Glen but Pittsburgh has events spread over the month of July, and is in my back door.

Leo

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/14/12 7:54 p.m.

The one that still alludes me is to build my own engine. I have helped build one, I have dismantled an engine, I have taken notes and written about it many times, but one of the main things on my list still, is to build my own engine, soup to nuts.

Going to Bonneville is still on the list as well.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
12/16/12 5:57 p.m.

Done some of those things but maybe I'm getting a bit too old for a cross country trip in a vintage car as it would be damn uncomfortable. Should have done it in my youth. My brother drove from Ontario to California in a TR6 with his wife when they were young but he tells me he would need a sofa on wheels to do it now.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
12/17/12 9:47 a.m.

For me the Goodwood Revival is key. I have yet to be able to go. I have been to Monaco and the Mille Miglia years ago but still Goodwood has always been a must do for me in conjunction with a tour of Bristish manufacturers such as Morgan, Aston and Jaguar.

I do the cross country trip in a classic/exotic every other year to Monterey. This year will be in the TVR or the DB7, more likely the Aston Martin.

The cross country trip does no have to be a trial. Think about how easy this would be in say a Alfa GTV, MGB/GT or XKE coupe.

I do want to do a road trip to the MG "Gathering of the Faithful" in a T series some time. I guess first step is to buy a TD or TF.

I have done the cross country on a few vintage motorcycles. Those have been epic trips. Looking to run my newest Norton Commando cross country when I get it finished. The key to Happiness is to pack light and ship what you will need to your final destination before you leave and then ship it back.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
12/17/12 12:56 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: The one that still alludes me is to build my own engine. I have helped build one, I have dismantled an engine, I have taken notes and written about it many times, but one of the main things on my list still, is to build my own engine, soup to nuts. Going to Bonneville is still on the list as well.

AND hearing it run afterwards . Start with a 4 banger.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
12/17/12 1:36 p.m.

I like the choices. They are great! I would add to run a car event...any event. Rally, Gathering, Competition, Club, Tour, Cars and Coffee.

Cheers Ron

Gary
Gary Reader
12/20/12 9:39 a.m.

I've done 10 of them. In retrospect the one I that has given me the most satisfaction (although at the time it was a more than a little stressful) was driving 3 laps on the Nurburgring Nordschleife back in 1999. What made it stressful was I'm not a racer but I was out there with a bunch of insane Europeans who all thought they were Michael Schumacher. In any case I survived and I'm glad I created the life long memory.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WfvdtJTqRG84N2U2Myts6Afim7LZD4Ti9ThGvOXO4tRI4uCtuRcelLLF09THr8q9