TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
12/9/14 7:50 p.m.

A few friends here in the GWN have an annual ritual of crossing the border in our classics and head south to Watkins Glen for the vintage event in September. This year we're thinking of breaking tradition and head to Lime Rock for the Labor Day event the week before the Glen. None of us have ever been there before.

Just wondering how it compares/differs from the Glen. Any recommendations for accommodations, etc?

Your input is much appreciated.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
12/9/14 10:21 p.m.

Howdy! Ill go ahead and give you my thoughts.

My wife and I have been going to the WG event for the last 6 or so years. The last one as a racer, and not as a spectator. I have gone to the Lime Rock historics once, as a racer.

The GP festival is so fun that we are leaving the race car at home, and going back as spectators. The whole town really makes you feel welcome. The event offers activites on and off the track.

Lime Rock on the other hand is a low key and intimate event, much smaller, but not lacking in quality. Ill be racing there. Lime Rock seems to let you get closer to the racing. The track is shorter, so youll see the cars come 'round more often. I cant comment on the social scene since I stayed in the padock and didnt get out. Lastly, there isnt much in the way of spectator driven events, such as the rallys and such that are offered at the Glen.

If I could do one event I would do WG. But Lime Rock is a nice change up.

Dont forget that the USVGP changed the dates this year due to the repaving of the track.

Leo

Gary
Gary Reader
12/10/14 7:23 a.m.

I've been spectating at the Lime Rock vintage event for many years. Leo's assessment is accurate, so I won't add anything else to that. It's a very nice event. I will, however, comment on accommodations. If you're not camping in the infield, and hear it's nice if that's your preference (maybe IanF can comment on the camping), then nearby accommodations are limited to B&Bs and vintage country inns. Nice, but costly, and like the Monterey Peninsula, are completely booked way in advance for the big weekend. I live in Rhode Island which is a 3 hour drive from LRP. When I was a pauper I used to commute daily during the big weekends, but for the past few years my wife and I have booked a nice hotel (with lounge) on Priceline in the Hartford area for around $75 a night. It's an hour's commute to LRP. In your case you'd probably want to look for something north of LRP in the direction you're coming in from. One precaution if you do decide to try this event: get to the "Sunday in the Park" car show early, before 9:00. Otherwise the traffic jams on the surrounding country roads after that are horrendous and if you're stuck in traffic you won't get to the track until sometime in the afternoon. I learned from experience.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
12/10/14 2:41 p.m.

"One precaution if you do decide to try this event: get to the "Sunday in the Park" car show early, before 9:00."

Couldn't be more true ! Oh, and park in the church parking lot across the street, WAY cheaper.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
12/11/14 10:09 p.m.

I can't comment on WG as I haven't been there in decades, but Limerock is a nice event. I haven't been to the Sunday car show in two years but I have never hit traffic when going. I'm about 1 1/2hours away so I enjoy the drive through the back roads and commute it.

OFracing
OFracing Reader
12/19/14 5:25 p.m.

I got the bug for vintage racing from the watching the Zippo race events at the Glen. We used to go there for years as a guys weekend. Once I started racing and moved from the F440 to a Spitfire, I raced it a couple of times but I truly had more fun there, except for the trip through the village as part of the old course re-creation, as a spectator. The party atmosphere, especially in the boot on Saturday night is (or was) legendary. If you (or the Sig Other) gets bored at the track, there's lots of stuff to do in the village and surroundings.

I've raced the Limerock event for at least 10 years and as a driver, its the highlight of the season. The track time is greater, fewer run groups = large fields and the organizers really take care of the drivers. The crowds are smaller at Limerock but the campground does sell out each year so you need to make reservations. Security at Limerock is more friendly than the Glen but they can afford to be, no one ever burned a bus at Limerock. There's not much to do outside of the track, other than some pretty rolling hills to drive through. The car show on Sunday is getting to be something special and the past few years they've added a Race Car, along with select spectator car parade on the Thursday afternoon before the race. It's no where near as big as the one at the Glen but it's a fun way to kick off the weekend.

I'd recommend Limerock for the racing and the Glen for the sheer scale of the event. With the repaving next year, the Glen event will be run on the NASCAR circuit. They start paving in the boot after the June 6 hour (Tudor/GranAm) race. It might be your year to skip the Glen and head to Limerock, the NASCAR circuit just isn't as much fun to run as the full course and the construction is bound to make the boot area a mess.

mike

lgb240
lgb240 New Reader
12/20/14 6:47 a.m.

Date change for the Glen due to track repaving. Not in September this year, goggle for details.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/20/14 6:53 p.m.

Both are great venues. However both are not nearly even near the beaten path. So expect huge issues with lodgings, long delays on access, and frankly locals who really wish you/we weren't there.

I've been to each several times and really can't say one or the other is my favorite. However this isn't like going to the Super Bowl or even the runoffs. Plan your time. Multiply your planned time by at least three. Expect access problems in restaurants, parking areas, even the loos.

Having said all of that, MAKE THE TRIP!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uAq6a4WFOGpVVOzhlJD9wc0pgWNKzsN3BiqJCZZ6YXl5Th9QhoSfp4eHscB1YUrr