Man, that looks sharp!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/14 6:13 p.m.

I love this car.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
4/11/14 8:11 p.m.

Was at Cars&Coffee here in Charlotte last Sat. and a guy had built the 200 cube six in his '65 Mustang. Had the Aussie head with a bolt-on intake manifold that allowed use of a Holley 350 cfm 2bbl carb, along with a compression bump, a mild cam and a set of long tube headers. Car sounded really good!!!

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
4/12/14 11:38 a.m.

I looked into importing an aussie head too. By the time you find a known good one (these heads suffer from cracks in the valve seat area just like the US heads) and factor in shipping a 100lb box of cast iron from AU->USA it is pretty much a wash against buying the brand new casting classic inlines alloy head

That is still high on my want list.

Since this car is just a reskinned version of my Falcon I am watching this with interest.

What are your plans for discs up front? I went with Granada stuff and to be honest if I were to do it again I wouldn't. I would find some early Mustang 5 lug drum stuff and fab up a scarebird style kit myself. The Granada stuff is about 75lbs per corner, expensive and the steering arm is in the wrong location and screws up the steering geometry. Mine toes out on compression quite badly which makes driving it on rough roads quite a terrifying adventure.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
4/12/14 12:50 p.m.

Oh, yeah, I don't want the Aussie head for the 144/170/200, which is stupid expensive, and as you mentioned, prone to cracking. I want the entire Aussie 250 cid crossflow with the canted valve heads out of the '83-93 XE/XF Falcon with EFI. It's a much cheaper engine, with a head that isn't prone to cracking.

Total cost of them tends to be about the same as sourcing a 289/302 and trans, but literally bolts in where the stock engine went.

As for the discs, I'm looking into the Scarebird stuff, which a lot of people on the falcon boards love. The 4 lug to 5 lug conversion setup uses Toyota hubs and rotors and Chevy calipers for an inexpensive bolt on setup using the stock 6 cyl spindles.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
4/12/14 1:56 p.m.

That looks like a great motor choice. I was quoted $350+ to ship a head and intake from 6 different folks in AU so I gave it up. I really want to stay inline with this car but the appeal of a GT40 headed 5.0 with a guarantee for $400 from the wrecking yard down the street is a strong siren song.

If you believe the folks on the HAMB and other forums the early 6 cylinder spindles are "so weak they will break with the extra weight of a V8"

I just don't see that happening, and while the bump steer issues from the factory are laughable it is much better than what I ended up with. I regret that swap a lot.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
4/12/14 5:14 p.m.
Ditchdigger wrote: That looks like a great motor choice. I was quoted $350+ to ship a head and intake from 6 different folks in AU so I gave it up. I really want to stay inline with this car but the appeal of a GT40 headed 5.0 with a guarantee for $400 from the wrecking yard down the street is a strong siren song. If you believe the folks on the HAMB and other forums the early 6 cylinder spindles are "so weak they will break with the extra weight of a V8" I just don't see that happening, and while the bump steer issues from the factory are laughable it is much better than what I ended up with. I regret that swap a lot.

yeah, the 6 cyl spindles aren't that bad. The 250 crossflow that I'm looking at weighs less than the stock 6, so they should be fine.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
5/7/14 10:58 a.m.

Well, looks like the Aussie 6 is out. I'm having a hard tome finding a reliable person down under to locate and ship one, and the prices that weree listed by AusFord are no longer valid as they don't have any more on hand. The cheapest one I've found is a $3500 one already here in the US.

So it's back to the V8 install as I can still get any 302 for under a grand, usually with transmission. I just have to upgrade the front suspension to handle it.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
5/7/14 2:25 p.m.

And right after I posted that, the owner of Ausford.com called me to say he actually has one on hand now, for a mere $1200 shipped with transmission. He did think that I'd be better off with a 4.0 OHC engine and trans package for about the same money, but I'm not sure if it'd fit in the car (if it's too long or too wide).

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/14/14 6:40 a.m.

That 4.0 does look big (assuming that's a picture of it). Did you decide to go with the $1200 option then?

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
5/16/14 8:27 a.m.

I was going to, then our roommate's car needed a transmission and she didn't have the money to get it fixed, so I bought it for her out of the hobby money. After she pays me back, I'll be able to get one (he says he can get me one at any time, so there's that...)

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/16/14 7:14 p.m.

Now you're a good roommate!

Hopefully it won't be long. ..

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
5/17/14 9:45 a.m.

That car has great lines, I can't wait to see the updates on this

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/23/14 5:04 p.m.

My dad had one when I was a kid. I have always wanted to find one but up here in the rust belt they have all but disappeared.

This is one I like

Ecosse
Ecosse New Reader
5/23/14 7:28 p.m.

Very nice - great lines and details. Look forward to seeing more and perhaps at C&C in Hunt Valley down the road?

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
5/30/14 7:42 a.m.

Here's another approach to the Ford 6 - http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/mad-science-a-drag-racer-sliced-and-diced-a-pair-of-ls-heads-stuck-them-together-and-mounted-them-on-a-ford-inline-six/

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/30/14 9:30 a.m.
MichaelYount wrote: Here's another approach to the Ford 6 - http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/mad-science-a-drag-racer-sliced-and-diced-a-pair-of-ls-heads-stuck-them-together-and-mounted-them-on-a-ford-inline-six/

Hell Yeah! I read about this being possible a few years ago and have been dying to do it and throw it in my Galaxie.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XaPsh2bQOzNEDMMapUMOr8ER3OuT7Zx2knvHjoE53NByNfDKTShLV7W5x6dyQ7lS