Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/29/19 3:05 p.m.

This article is from a past issue of the magazine. Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published, and get access to our full digital archive, by subscribing to Classic Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Story by Tim Suddard • Lead Photography by Dirk De Jager • Collages by Sarah Young

There are certain cars that …

Read the rest of the story

SPOT
SPOT New Reader
1/29/19 8:12 p.m.

Citroen 2CV

NUMBER BUILT: approx. 3.8 million between 1948 and 1990

PRICE OF OWNERSHIP: $10,000 - $20,000 (nice driver to very nice restoration)

WHAT IS IT? France's answer to the VW Beetle. Air cooled front-mounted boxer engine, long travel suspension linking the front and back wheels with horizontally mounted shocks. 

PLUSES: Tremendous following - 6000 cars showed up at European gatherings, parts availability is excellent and most are remanufactured. Fun to drive with the gear shift protruding from the center of the dash. Surprisingly quick if there is no hill in sight. Seats can be quickly removed without the need for tools and used for tailgating. Great ventilation & heat. Comfortably seats 4 adults

MINUSES: Some parts may need to be ordered from Europe, although prices are reasonable. Slow off the starting line. Prone to rust. Goes faster without rear passengers

COMMON EQUIVALENT: VW beetle

FINAL WORDS: Cheap fun and smiles. 

studepilot
studepilot New Reader
4/30/20 4:55 p.m.

I had a wolseley hornet .think buick version of a mini with a formal trunk ,chrome grill and leather .It also included such luxuries as an actual heater and windscreen washer . Such a fun car .I brought it over from england .There cannot be many in the usa .  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/20 11:38 a.m.

The Wolseley Hornet is a cool car and, yes, a rare bird here. And I like your description: think Buick version of a Mini. 

wspohn
wspohn Dork
5/2/20 2:14 p.m.
studepilot said:

I had a wolseley hornet .think buick version of a mini with a formal trunk ,chrome grill and leather .It also included such luxuries as an actual heater and windscreen washer . Such a fun car .I brought it over from england .There cannot be many in the usa .  

The Mini had a number of badge engineered versions. I liked the Wolseley version as they used the same illuminated grille badge as my 6/99 did.

Riley Elf was similar (I owned several Riley 1.5s)

Cosworth1
Cosworth1 New Reader
5/2/20 3:26 p.m.

Hi Tim-

Hung with you a couple years ago at the Champaign British Festival in Illinois, where I had my '69 Morris Cooper. Just picked up this '57 Austin A35 to go with it. I am very fortunate to have gotten this in from the UK when I did (just a couple months ago), right before the virus surfaced. No telling where it may be right now if it had left just a bit later, might still be on the ship in a port somewhere!

These have a few interesting quirks. Like sliding side windows, which my Cooper has also. The Cooper's move horizontally, while these slide up and down. And a turn signal lever, not on the column, but dead-center on the top of the dash. Non-cancelling, but the flashing light in it is a reminder!

Lou

wspohn
wspohn Dork
5/3/20 10:42 a.m.

In the same vein is Stan Huntley's Morris Minor pickup truck which he ran with a killer full house 1275 engine with four Amal carbs.  The guys with racing Bugeyes used to get pretty ticked off when they were passed by a truck.....

bkwanab
bkwanab New Reader
1/14/21 3:20 p.m.

In reply to SPOT :

And if you really want to turn heads put a BMW boxer motorcycle engine in one.  There is a conversion kit available.  90+ bhp in a 2CV will turn heads as you zoom past a lot a slow 'ordinary' cars.

Nickdoc
Nickdoc New Reader
5/22/21 3:39 a.m.

In reply to bkwanab :

But then always think about breaking early    lol

Although with a lightweight body and discs up front, always carry an anchor.......

The 650cc upgrade using the VISA-Cousins  barrels & pistons will already give it some reasonable ooomph

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
5/24/21 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Cosworth1 :

Nice to hear from you. I always loved those Britis

h sedans from the fifties.

Tomwas1
Tomwas1 New Reader
3/20/23 12:21 a.m.

Got one, exactly like my first car at 17-. 1963 Mercury comet s22convertible. 5757 built.. Such a cool litt!e red convertible. Always gets lots of looks, love and questions... 170cu in 6 with 2 speed Merc o matic transmission... Nabbed it last Sept and not letting go of it...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KwFiyt5f2z2qfhno5czc29tbpCipNom4CiqMWXDRX4Hf8shLrRXUgaK5PJDhcEH8