David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/9/10 10:57 a.m.

There's a thread on the GRM board about an upcoming plastic model show: http://www.wix.com/liarsmodelcarclub/liars

I haven't built one in years, but I have a few unopened ones at home. Anyone else into the hobby?

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
11/9/10 11:21 a.m.

I was when I was younger. Now its easier to buy the die cast models. But my son is currently building plastic model of a '69 Camaro Z-28.

Gary
Gary Reader
11/9/10 11:37 a.m.

I haven’t built a plastic model car kit in around 45 years, and I designed and scratch-built my last Fisher Body Craftsman’s Guild contest model in 1968. I try not to spread myself too thin these days with extraneous hobbies. I stick to playing with real cars. But a couple years ago we had a Fisher Body Craftsman’s Guild alumni reunion at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, and a couple of guys that were working security for us were heavily into building plastic scale model car kits. At their suggestion I went to a Masscar Model Car Club show in Taunton, Massachusetts and was amazed at what’s being done with scale model car kits these days. The skill level is phenomenal.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/9/10 12:02 p.m.

I haven't built a plastic model in 20 years... although I still have a pile of unbuilt kits in my attic.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
11/9/10 1:07 p.m.

Not in many decades have I built one but I still have a fondness for the cars that I did build. It is almost as if I owned one in my youth. A Chevy II or Stingray or old style rail dragster or Ariel bike will always get a second look.

Cheers Ron

DavidLMM
DavidLMM New Reader
11/9/10 1:49 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

I keep buying them off eBay, with the expectation that one of these days I'm going to break a leg or something, and have time. I have a couple of the 1:12 Cobra models that AMT or Monogram made about 30 years ago, and a bunch of Italian exotic 1:24 from the same era, all unbuilt. Last ones I bought were a Crystal (clear) M1 and a 1:32(?) Sunbeam Alpine.

David

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
11/9/10 2:06 p.m.

In reply to DavidLMM:

There is something amusing that you wish to build models that are bigger than the micro cars at the Lane. Cheers Ron

sfisher71
sfisher71 None
11/9/10 9:08 p.m.

I used to LOVE building plastic models as a kid: cars, aircraft, ships, spacecraft, you name it. I had the great pleasure of introducing my son to the hobby as well, though sadly I reached the point where my mad skillz were being let down my middle-aged vision.

I keep threatening to get back into the hobby, for the simple reason that it's a helluva lot easier to buy, store, and work on a 1/24-scale collection than a 1/1-scale collection. And if you leave them out in the Oregon rain, polystyrene doesn't rust.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
11/10/10 8:39 a.m.

I also haven't in years, but I suspect may be I will do it again fairly soon.

You see, just the last car show I got some Hot Wheels. Was there with my son, and of course he's gathering them up by the back-pack load.

I'm looking at them, and a thought gradually percolated through my mind. There are Hot Wheels of cars I own, and of cars I love, but will never own. I seriously doubt an XKE will be showing up in my driveway. But for $1, I can have a beautifull one, just smaller. So I ended up spending something like $10, and am now the proud owner of a Jag, a Porsche 911, another cute Miata, a TR6, and a few other things.

Some very good plastic models might also be in my future as a result. Could be fun.

blackrabbit
blackrabbit New Reader
11/11/10 12:06 p.m.

Oh man... yet another one of my personal black holes to throw money down... I dont build many but i buy quite a few. probably have a hundred or so waiting in the closet for a cold rainy day in the future. here pics of a coulpe i picked up just last saturday. vintage celica 1600gt model by blackrabbitracing, on Flickr trabant rally model revell gmbh by blackrabbitracing, on Flickr

Series6
Series6 Reader
11/13/10 7:26 p.m.

I used an AMT Blueprinter Sunbeam Tiger to try to build a scale model of my Alpine. I went to a Dupont supplier and had my car colorscanned and they sold me enough to spray the body. Got involved in other projects so it's in the "Finish Later" file.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
11/18/10 11:52 a.m.

I picked up a 1914 Stutz racer kit from the discout table at Hobby Lobby a while back, haven't built it yet.

They also have a Mercedes from the same era.

mikecyc78spitfire
mikecyc78spitfire New Reader
11/24/10 1:46 p.m.

Oh boy, here we go. I've been building mosels since I was 2 with my dad. Started building HO train kits (Athearn) then the buildings. Now I model N scale, but have been building car models since I was about 8. 30 yrs later I have about 40 waiting for me. Several Cobras, TR3a, TR4, GT40, Ferrari Daytona and a few others, MGA, AH Sprite, some Lotuses. Yikes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UcJDMDkiEwjhvdzN9OrsVwCTeStZrWCsNh1fFZLO5jXrVuI35qRvWKQurix9Cm6m