Bob_S
Bob_S None
7/3/13 10:03 p.m.

Hi All, Thanks in advance for your Help. I am looking to ship and engine & trans from Germany to Detroit and looking for the best way/company without breaking the bank. The engine is a Ford V4 and trans from a Ford Taunus 15M from the 60's. The engine & trans should weigh about 300LBS including the crate. It's dimension should be ~130cm x 30cm x 35cm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
7/4/13 10:59 a.m.

Hi Bob,

I brought my Cosworth in from New Zealand. First find a sure way of shipping. I paid about 600 bucks for just the engine about 4 years ago. So its rather reasonable.

Second, and most important. No matter what, remember you have PARTS, not an engine. Call customs in you area, talk the guy get a name just incase. When I cleared customs, I took a shot in the dark...

Better yet, PM or email me. Im in Saudi Arabia till the 12th of July, or else Id give you a call. If you can wait, Id rather have voice comms with you. But if you cant wait. There are a couple of thinks you need to know...off line.

Leo

snakedriver01 at Hotmail dot com

Rupert
Rupert Reader
7/9/13 11:22 a.m.

Bob,

After buying and shipping Jaguar "parts" from England, I agree with Leo. Make sure you declare you are shipping PARTS!

Chet
Chet New Reader
7/9/13 7:20 p.m.

FYI I'd strongly suggest you consider if it's worth the risk.

Engines have to be EPA approved - good luck with that. If you declare an engine to be parts you may possibly be questioned and If the engine happens to leak ANY fluids intransit like anti freeze or oil you'll have a nightmare on your hands.

It only takes one customs agent to ruin your life.

Bob_S
Bob_S New Reader
7/10/13 11:04 p.m.

Hi Chet, 'Thanks for the warning. The engine is a 1968 and the only EPA concerns would be PVC system. So I don't think it will be a big deal. You are right it only takes one idiot to screw thins up.

Hi Rupert, I to have imported Jaguar parts and had no trouble with customs. It may be the Customs people in Detroit are use to having auto parts pass through customs or I was just luckly.

Thanks again for the input, Bob

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uPqwusnVNWk4CRaEQal5d1oj7EgOX7w6MgLiWI2Mi2Olk98HCdr9qoz6oig0R79C