Steven Cole Smith
Steven Cole Smith Contributor
8/15/23 8:53 a.m.

Hinton isn’t looking at a future too far off: In a dozen years, California, New Jersey and the European Union plan to end sales of internal-combustion cars. 

“In 2035, I don’t think we’ll be fully EV in production cars by then, but it certainly won’t be long after before we are all electric,” he says. “Because if all the motor …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/15/23 9:46 a.m.

Sounds like a promising future for vintage racing.

ROBERT TRANCHANT
ROBERT TRANCHANT New Reader
8/15/23 11:32 a.m.

I dread the coming days of racing without fire, snaps, crackles, and pops.

Sonett323
Sonett323 New Reader
8/15/23 1:03 p.m.

Don't worry. You could have plenty of fire,snap, crackle and pops in the parking lot in the future.

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
8/16/23 11:54 p.m.

Remember horses?  Those totally utilitarian transport devices that suddenly gave way to the automobile?  Where are they now?  They've practically become the toys of the rich.  While I doubt (for many reasons too long to discuss here), the same thing will not befall the ICE vintage or collector cars.  In a (paper!) car club newsletter many years ago, a column I wrote predicted that as the infrastructure universe of the ICE fell (think active oil drilling to processing to spare parts to mechanic expertise) the cars we all love would gain even more of a boutique status.  I teased a chemical engineer friend of mine that he would have a second career cooking up special designer fuel and lubricants for specialty cars, selling the best stuff to people with seven digit cars for hundreds of dollars a gallon on track day.  Apparently, the argument I presented got his attention. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/20/23 5:04 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Sounds like a promising future for vintage racing.

As a serious Gearhead. I want self driving EV's as soon as possible .  Let people climb in the back seat after giving their destination and let the computer do the driving.  
  Save the rest of us from accidents and multitasking people too distracted to pay attention. 
   The real payoff is no speed limits and cars inches apart. So trips are done without stop signs or congestion.  
 Leaving us more time to work on our cars/projects/ hobby. 
    On weekends we take our cars to various tracks and gathering places. And have fun.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/21/23 5:39 a.m.
Coupefan said:

Remember horses?  Those totally utilitarian transport devices that suddenly gave way to the automobile?  Where are they now?  They've practically become the toys of the rich.  While I doubt (for many reasons too long to discuss here), the same thing will not befall the ICE vintage or collector cars.  In a (paper!) car club newsletter many years ago, a column I wrote predicted that as the infrastructure universe of the ICE fell (think active oil drilling to processing to spare parts to mechanic expertise) the cars we all love would gain even more of a boutique status.  I teased a chemical engineer friend of mine that he would have a second career cooking up special designer fuel and lubricants for specialty cars, selling the best stuff to people with seven digit cars for hundreds of dollars a gallon on track day.  Apparently, the argument I presented got his attention. 

People fail to remember the horrors of horses. The only time they are seen today is in idyllic   pasture settings where they are carefully pampered and kept at great cost.  
     They don't know about the daily  tons of manure pulled from city streets or horses whipped, abused, and neglected.  Like some people treat cars  today.  
  The rag peddler  trying to get a tired half starved old horse to pull an overloaded wagon  who finally succumbs to such abuse and neglect.  Who's owner  leaves the horse  lay for the city to deal with.   
   The stench from rotting  carcasses, tons of manure and horse piss made life pretty miserable.  
  Not to mention, horses have brains.  They remember past abuses and neglect, act up, toss riders or carriages. 
  Need regular shoeing, broken harness and saddles.  Get sick, need vets.  Plus the riders used horses rain or sun, snow or cold. With nothing but a hat to offer protection. 
    There were no horse whisperers back then. A bullet in the brain  was what some horses were given for acting up or tossing it's rider. 
   So yeh!    I can see carefully tended ICE cars pampered and polished.  Occasionally brought out  to school gatherings or shows.  Gently driven  on sunny days.  Or the occasional vintage race.  
  Come-on EV's with FSD 

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
3/16/24 11:41 a.m.
frenchyd said:
Coupefan said:

People fail to remember the horrors of horses. The only time they are seen today is in idyllic   pasture settings where they are carefully pampered and kept at great cost.  
     They don't know about the daily  tons of manure pulled from city streets or horses whipped, abused, and neglected.  Like some people treat cars  today.  
  The rag peddler  trying to get a tired half starved old horse to pull an overloaded wagon  who finally succumbs to such abuse and neglect.  Who's owner  leaves the horse  lay for the city to deal with.   
   The stench from rotting  carcasses, tons of manure and horse piss made life pretty miserable.  
  Not to mention, horses have brains.  They remember past abuses and neglect, act up, toss riders or carriages. 
  Need regular shoeing, broken harness and saddles.  Get sick, need vets.  Plus the riders used horses rain or sun, snow or cold. With nothing but a hat to offer protection. 
    There were no horse whisperers back then. A bullet in the brain  was what some horses were given for acting up or tossing it's rider. 
   So yeh!    I can see carefully tended ICE cars pampered and polished.  Occasionally brought out  to school gatherings or shows.  Gently driven  on sunny days.  Or the occasional vintage race.  
  Come-on EV's with FSD 

I know it a recycled thread, but I'm very informed on the situation of the day.  Did you know NYC employed a force of over 5000 workers who dealt with the ankle-high, or higher, horse dung 24/7?  There are pictures of the 'mess' available for viewing through a quick internet search, that will just disgust you if you think of the smell and potential disease.  The other stat I like throwing around about disruptive technologies taking over is the number of permitted horses in NYC and the greater metro area.  In 1907, there were about 480,000 horses permitted.  A short ten years later, the number dropped to just over 6000.  All those businesses and industries that relied upon the horse, essentially vanished overnight. The only reason I like to quote the situation in New York City is all of it is well documented, through official data, reports and photographs, and it's one of the easiest places to use as an example because of that material. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/18/24 4:28 p.m.

Sort of as a PS to this, but we just met with the new president of HSR. Video coming up shortly. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nChdIJHwXB3UekIrQ6nYrNywPZZUqbetvbpAMu4nT7jFufEBXAH4iBo3FLRFy4vE