1 2
jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/3/24 12:34 a.m.

The Honda F20 was good for 9K out of the box, I wouldn't figure another 11% or so would be impossible.  The K20A forum has a number of threads on engines built for 10K, including one that apparently regularly hit 11K.  (drag motor)

I managed to get well over 10K on my K20 twice with a hard shift down instead of up at redline, but I don't think that's what the OP meant.  The motor survived with no apparent damage.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/3/24 1:04 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Also, street car needs reverse. 

Sounds like you've never owned the E36 M3boxes some of us have. laugh

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
1/3/24 2:02 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Have so, when I was single and dumber.  But to clarify, wife occasionally drives all my hoopties, so they need to be mostly normal. But to double clarify, this is 99.82% hypothetical. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
1/3/24 9:04 a.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Wet clutches don't like to spin 14k. A bike engine, running its regular transmission, generally has a primary reduction of about 1.7:1 between the crank and the clutch/transmission. The engine is 14.5k, but the transmission input ends up spinning only 8.5k.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/3/24 9:33 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Appleseed :

But to clarify, wife occasionally drives all my hoopties, so they need to be mostly normal.

Normal is starts stops and steers. Doesn't have to be the greatest but has to be there. Don't like it go deal with a E36 M3ty rental. smiley

As to the question at hand, I look at NHRA pro stock and the old pro stock truck classes for ideas with a little mix of NASCAR. Big bore, short stroke, Honda bearing journal sizes, & "solid" pushrods all placed into the shortest deck possible. Pro stock has a hard limit in the holley efi of 10.5k and pst was turning 10k iirc for a small block.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 9:38 a.m.
Peabody said:

G10 from the lowly Geo Metro

G13 Swift GT engine

But you'll want the Suzuki Sport valve springs. IIRC those were rated for 10,500 but the stock cams won't make any power up there and finding old Suzuki Sport cams AND springs may be a challenge. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 9:40 a.m.

I mean, to be honest ANY engine can hit 10,000rpm once. Money shift and there you go.... probably won't survive though

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/3/24 10:15 a.m.
bobzilla said:
Peabody said:

G10 from the lowly Geo Metro

G13 Swift GT engine

But you'll want the Suzuki Sport valve springs. IIRC those were rated for 10,500 but the stock cams won't make any power up there and finding old Suzuki Sport cams AND springs may be a challenge. 

I wouldn't know anything about that

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/3/24 10:30 a.m.
Ranger50 said:
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Appleseed :

But to clarify, wife occasionally drives all my hoopties, so they need to be mostly normal.

Normal is starts stops and steers. Doesn't have to be the greatest but has to be there. Don't like it go deal with a E36 M3ty rental. smiley

As to the question at hand, I look at NHRA pro stock and the old pro stock truck classes for ideas with a little mix of NASCAR. Big bore, short stroke, Honda bearing journal sizes, & "solid" pushrods all placed into the shortest deck possible. Pro stock has a hard limit in the holley efi of 10.5k and pst was turning 10k iirc for a small block.

Also somewhat related, back in the day, early 2000's NMRA Hot Street class, high winding NA small blocks.... You could run a inline valve 300" to 440" engines. Ran about 8.6-8.90 at 140-150mph passes.... On a former and now deceased forum, RIP Hardcore50, more than one engine builder said they would build "dump truck engines" than something with more rpm. The dump truck engine was a 430-ish inch combo turning 84-8700 rpm without use of the better Yates canted valve head. Most used the edelbrock glidden victor with a cnc port job after a few hundred hours of flow bench testing. When the class started they used tfs high ports.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/3/24 10:46 a.m.

Honda already did it just buy a S600, though with a rudced transmission speed a 1103 V4S out of a Ducati will do 16K RPM and make 3x the HP of the S600

Honda S600 (Info in Comments) : r/Honda

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 11:18 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I had a swift head that had Suzuki sport springs. Machinist I use/used used to do all the import work in the area and still had the old suzuki manuals laying around. When he measured and tested the springs they were way off the chart different. Grabbed the sport catalog he had from 1991 and they matched those specs. Those were meant to go into the rally cars that were tuned with cams and ecu for a 10,500rpm redline. 

at least that's what I was told/found a decade plus ago

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/3/24 3:06 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I was joking.

I guess you have a short memory.  I was the guy grinding the cams and doing most of the custom cylinder head work on those over the last couple decades.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 3:52 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

too much going on in my head the last 15 years. I can barely remember what I ate for lunch. just pop out the info as it bubbles to the top. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/3/24 4:12 p.m.

Many super stock engines, which are definitely production parts, are past that, but they are not going to make a youtube video and tell how they did it. Huge cam and huger valvesprings.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
1/3/24 4:36 p.m.

There are quite a few 10,000+ RPM 4G63's. They will handle close to 8k stock, and there are a few ways to build them to handle higher RPM. 

This one is nuts, a claimed 13,000RPM out of this EVO. I don't know how much I trust a tach wrapped around like that, but I can tell you it sounds very different than an 8k 4G63...

https://youtu.be/c2Bhx_gqmAg?si=KcwCjwPLMrPxb-rr

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
1/3/24 5:23 p.m.

I had my 1970 Dino motor to 9500 a few times, still ran just fine. I would think another 500 is doable......

I know about the pneumatic valve springs on F1 motors, but they were turning those suckers 22K!!!! So it must be doable with the right rods, bearings,pistons etc.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sKypo56o9M4wMzfT8BJvy89pb0HtUh437bl3uOo903Lqf2usAazhvjLklptXOclG