1 2
xflowgolf (Forum Supporter)
xflowgolf (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/17/24 9:18 a.m.

The finish last night was great, with all four classes having a 1-2 battle of less than one second differential when I tuned back in with 11 minutes to go.  

Question for the hive, is flashing your brights while in 2nd at the 1st place driver who you're chasing in the dark a solid distraction tactic? Or poor sportsmanship?  

Up front in GTP, the Cadillac driven by Sebastian Bourdais (01) was in the lead being chased down by Louis Deletraz in the Wayne Taylor Racing Acura (40).  It was a great battle, but it didn't sit well with me that Deletraz was constantly flashing his brights, and not for the purpose of dealing with any slower traffic.  He would eventually go on to make the pass in the last 5 minutes and win the race.  The announcer made mention that he'd been doing that for the last 25 minutes.  

Thoughts?  

Good question.  I have no good answer.   

Watched it happening.  Is it any different than weaving left to right behind a competitor in the daylight to try to distract.   Don't know.

3/17/24 9:31 a.m.

On board view from the Acura of the last 30 minutes.  The flashing of his brights begins about 8:30 into the video.  

https://youtu.be/ov91vSK_ORw?si=_riDS-ZMuhdRZoJl

great battle to watch regardless of the light flash tactic

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/17/24 9:48 a.m.

FWIW, Bordais did it back to him, as the announcers expected.

I'll let the drivers tell us if it's bad or not.  Seems as distracting to the following driver, since they have to focus on flashing the lights.  But I don't do that as a profession.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/17/24 10:01 a.m.

Its a euro thing thats allowed,personally if we did nights in our endurance series and someone starts flashing me I'd let them go and park myself on their bumper lights on full.

3/17/24 11:38 a.m.
alfadriver said:

FWIW, Bordais did it back to him, as the announcers expected.

I'll let the drivers tell us if it's bad or not.  Seems as distracting to the following driver, since they have to focus on flashing the lights.  But I don't do that as a profession.

While he did do it back, the expectation of it felt more like an expected payback, vs. a valid normal thing to do akin to what kevlarcorolla said in his post.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/17/24 11:52 a.m.

In reply to xflowgolf (Forum Supporter) :

As far as I can tell, the "payback" part was speculation.  Bordais may have done it to try to distract him, too.  We just don't know that.

If the drivers have a problem with it, take it up with race control to change the rules.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
3/17/24 1:40 p.m.

It happens in every race.  It's used to signal that a faster car is coming up from behind and it's also common for a driver to use it as a distraction.  

As an aside, way back in the day Mark Donohue had a toggle switch in his Penske Camaro that was connected to the brake lights.  Donohue would enter the braking zones and hit the toggle which made the cars behind hit their brakes early...giving him an "unfair advantage" as he hit his brakes later.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/17/24 2:25 p.m.

For the record I have no issue it with it being used by a faster class to make the slower class driver aware he/she is coming up.

If I get out smarted with racecraft thats fine,some douche flashing lights in the brake zone well that's gonna be dealt with.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
3/17/24 3:17 p.m.

This tweet from Jordan explains everything you need to know in an easy to digest format:

https://twitter.com/jordan10taylor/status/1323733010395631618?lang=en

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
3/17/24 3:19 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

Its a euro thing thats allowed,personally if we did nights in our endurance series and someone starts flashing me I'd let them go and park myself on their bumper lights on full.

You may find yourself looking for a new team real quickly if you gave up track position, let alone first place overall, just because you got mad about this.  Imagine explaining why you gave up points (i.e. money) to the team of mechanics, the team owner, and sponsors. wink

Plus, "lights on full" is how their lights work.  I don't think they have "high beam/low beam" like a street car.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/17/24 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Coniglio Rampante :

Its ok,I'm just an old decent amateur racer....no one to answer to but 2 buddies ;)

Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
3/17/24 7:11 p.m.

If a professional driver like Bourdais with his years of experience driving in Europe and the US gets distracted by flashing lights he should retire.  He probably thought that Deletraz was pulling a rookie trick that was easily ignored.  Bourdais called in to report that his tires were used up and he couldn't hold off Deletraz.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
3/18/24 6:51 a.m.

IIRC, it was banned in Grand Am.  Was allowed back in with the take over from ALMS because they wouldn't give that up.  

j_tso
j_tso Dork
3/18/24 8:34 a.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

Just don't take away peeling out in pit lane

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
3/18/24 8:35 a.m.
j_tso said:

In reply to jmabarone :

Just don't take away peeling out in pit lane

if they do, it's because of ACO alignment.  No wheelspin in the pits at Le Mans.  

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
3/18/24 10:36 a.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

Can someone screenshot the tweet? I can't view twitter 

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
3/18/24 10:45 a.m.
Hoppps said:

It's a video. 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/18/24 11:44 a.m.

I'm not a racer, of course, but that does seem a little bit like poor racecraft. It offers zero benefits and only increases the chances of a (potentially dangerous) driver error. 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
3/18/24 1:04 p.m.
Hoppps said:

One of these ought to work.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ffacebook%2Fvideos%2F716178109257238%2F&width=500&show_text=false&height=281

https://streamable.com/gw0trw

j_tso
j_tso Dork
3/18/24 1:29 p.m.
brandonsmash said:

I'm not a racer, of course, but that does seem a little bit like poor racecraft. It offers zero benefits and only increases the chances of a (potentially dangerous) driver error. 

Yep. This is my favorite example of that:

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
3/18/24 11:18 p.m.

So...  nobody gonna talk about Derani getting turned in the Fangio esses (by a Ferrari GTD, what a surprise) and ending upside down on the tire wall?

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
3/19/24 12:12 a.m.
racerfink said:

So...  nobody gonna talk about Derani getting turned in the Fangio esses (by a Ferrari GTD, what a surprise) and ending upside down on the tire wall

He should have flashed his lights. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/19/24 4:19 a.m.

Flashing lights is so lame:

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
3/19/24 6:25 a.m.
racerfink said:

So...  nobody gonna talk about Derani chopping someone's nose and ending upside down on the tire wall?

FTFY 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nNHAHpgkftxaKP1ZLaOCsWZfahfQHKOeNv2YvWqpI1xXVqnpxeteCWFH3UK28ZqZ