1 2 3
ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
9/4/13 11:14 a.m.

That's the listed weight of the 2014 Mirage. Anyone think this has potential to be a fun car? I think its going to be overshadowed by subcompacts that are only slightly more expensive. Given the low weight and staggering fuel economy numbers (40mpg combined) for a non-hybrid I kinda want it to do well. With some coilovers and an ST tire setup I bet it could be fun.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/2014-mitsubishi-mirage-first-drive.html

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
9/4/13 11:18 a.m.

I'd bet it struggles to find a niche for itself. Mitsubishi has never really been a big player in the US market and in recent years haven't offered any real competitive vehicles, especially cars (Evo excluded). Like you mentioned, for just a touch more you can get a "bigger better" car.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/4/13 11:18 a.m.

Uhh.... this could be a big problem in ST depending on what the suspension design is...

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
9/4/13 11:23 a.m.

Mitsubishi has been dead to me since they dropped the Galant vr-4

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
9/4/13 11:28 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Uhh.... this could be a big problem in ST depending on what the suspension design is...

That's kinda what I'm wondering. In STF its power to weight is only 8% worse than the Mazda 2, but it weighs approx 20% less.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/4/13 12:09 p.m.
4g63t wrote: Mitsubishi has been dead to me since they dropped the Galant vr-4

They and Subaru have been dead to me for awhile. Up the HP numbers on the boost buggies for cripes sake!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/4/13 12:15 p.m.

Not what I expected when I heard of a new "Mirage," I was thinking the Toyobaru was about to have its ass handed to it.

I think the only thing keeping it from being serious competition with the Mazda2 (in sales) is the plain looks.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/4/13 12:19 p.m.

At least they're going to offer a manual transmission.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/4/13 1:21 p.m.

Which street touring class does the Fiesta ST get tossed into?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/4/13 1:25 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: That's the listed weight of the 2014 Mirage. Anyone think this has potential to be a fun car? I think its going to be overshadowed by subcompacts that are only slightly more expensive. Given the low weight and staggering fuel economy numbers (40mpg combined) for a non-hybrid I kinda want it to do well. With some coilovers and an ST tire setup I bet it could be fun. http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/2014-mitsubishi-mirage-first-drive.html

My Elantra is 800lbs heavier and gets the same mileage, and it is a stick. 150hp vs 74, no, no, no 150 is weak IMHO

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
9/4/13 1:33 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: My Elantra is 800lbs heavier and gets the same mileage, and it is a stick. 150hp vs 74, no, no, no 150 is weak IMHO

No. It doesn't. You are an ultra-outlier.

Apples to Apples, City/Hwy/Comb

Elantra: 28/38/32 Mirage: 37/44/40

Also, the Mirage comes with a stick.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/4/13 1:37 p.m.

Needs some work...

the softly sprung suspension copes admirably with London's potholes, which challenge Manhattan's for their scale and quantity.

and

On the highway, though, the Mirage is less convincing. The ride that felt compliant in town now fidgets awkwardly, making the car a tiring companion. Body roll is more pronounced than you might expect and the lifeless steering doesn't help either. It's a shame, because it compromises the Mirage's appeal as a versatile, budget-conscious all-rounder.
Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/4/13 1:45 p.m.

It will be a non issue. It's an ugly, underpowered 4dr hatch from a company that not only has a marginal reputation, but nobody over here cares about. It will quickly be labelled a death trap.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/4/13 1:46 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: My Elantra is 800lbs heavier and gets the same mileage, and it is a stick. 150hp vs 74, no, no, no 150 is weak IMHO
No. It doesn't. You are an ultra-outlier. Apples to Apples, City/Hwy/Comb Elantra: 28/38/32 Mirage: 37/44/40 Also, the Mirage comes with a stick.

I have never got 38 mpg from a tank yet, it has always been 39 to 43.

Did you not read where my Elantra is a stick, because I did read where Stuart stated the Mirage is a manual.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/4/13 1:48 p.m.

Where is it on pricepoint?

Found it, if this is correct it might be a good deal.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/19/2014-mitsubishi-mirage-to-carry-12-995-price-tag/

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
9/4/13 1:49 p.m.

It looks a lot like a Yaris. I think I may go my entire life never owning a Mitsubishi...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/4/13 1:52 p.m.

To sell, they will have to be a $11,999.99 priced car. You're just not going to get people into them unless they're cheeeeeeeeeap. People buy the Versa and it's hard to believe these will suck more than that. A 120 hp turbo motor would be interesting, but 74 HP is going to suck.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
9/4/13 1:53 p.m.

Why do I always hope that cool cars will become flops so they get cheap quick?

Oh yea, I'm a GRM subscriber.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/4/13 2:03 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: A 120 hp turbo motor would be interesting, but 74 HP is going to suck.

The original Mini, Midget, Spitfire all had less horsepower but don't suck.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
9/4/13 2:06 p.m.

If youre curious what they might look like all hotted up:

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/4/13 2:19 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

In 1960, most cars had power levels that low.

As an owner of a 55hp/1800lb car, I can say that in modern daily driving situations, 74hp/1863lbs would suck. I think 20lbs/hp is about the minimum for reasonable DD type stuff, especially if you're the one shifting all the time to keep it on cam. I've gotta bang gears pretty hard just to get to school in my 120hp Prizm in today's traffic.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/4/13 2:22 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to 93EXCivic: In 1960, most cars had power levels that low.

Yeah I am well aware. I just don't agree that amount of power would equal suckage daily driving.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/4/13 2:26 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: A 120 hp turbo motor would be interesting, but 74 HP is going to suck.

The Mazda2 has 100 hp and is 2250lbs or so, and it sucks. I love driving it anywhere that has corners, but day to day driving is 99.99% straight lines with stops and goes. If I lived in a world with constant corners, the Mitsu might be great, but I live in a world where I need to merge from 55 to 70 on an on ramp. This all assumes that they can build the car so that it's dynamically nice, which is a HUGE assumption. Maybe it will be the next coming of the original Mini and I'll be completely wrong. My bet is that as delivered, especially with the CVT which probably 90% of them will have, it will suck. If it's cheap enough it will sell. Cars always sell if they're cheap enough.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/4/13 2:27 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I've gotta bang gears pretty hard just to get to school in my 120hp Prizm in today's traffic.

Really?

I realize my NC Miata has 167hp, but I usually never take it above 4000rpm and frequently skip gears.

Then again I don't really ever slow down either.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/4/13 2:30 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
The Mazda2 has 100 hp and is 2250lbs or so, and it sucks. I love driving it anywhere that has corners, but day to day driving is 99.99% straight lines with stops and goes. If I lived in a world with constant corners, the Mitsu might be great, but I live in a world where I need to merge from 55 to 70 on an on ramp.

I had a 96 Civic DX coupe which was about the same weight and power and I had zero problems in normal traffic.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RsnZLT1zPWUOQBbslHVpvW8U8fDXYHX7oEFsLFQZhHAySAF1OccSBabvSfstQUSK