1 2 3
yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/4/13 2:35 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic & z31Maniac:

Michiganites also drive like idiots.......

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
9/4/13 2:36 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I've gotta bang gears pretty hard just to get to school in my 120hp Prizm in today's traffic.
Really? I realize my NC Miata has 167hp, but I usually never take it above 4000rpm and frequently skip gears. Then again I don't really ever slow down either.

My DD is a 98 SL2. 124hp, 2300lbs, automatic It almost never sees >4000rpm.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
9/4/13 2:43 p.m.

My E21 is around 2400# and left the factory with 101hp. No issues at all in modern traffic.

I will say I'd be more interested in the Mitsubishi than the Ford or Mazda.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/4/13 2:44 p.m.

They should stick the EVO motor in it. What could possibly go wrong?

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
9/4/13 2:44 p.m.

My car has 90 hp and is approx ~3,000#s... no issues here! I even tow a boat with it.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/4/13 3:00 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to 93EXCivic & z31Maniac: Michiganites also drive like idiots.......

Ahhh, yes. The post where idiot drivers exist only in your state, you likely also have the crappiest roads and the most corrupt politicians as well.

You are in a unique environment that is significantly worse than everywhere else.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/4/13 3:18 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Everywhere has its parts, but the point being made is that this Mitsu would be more of a liability on an interstate than a blessing. I'd expect you to understand, as the guys around tulsa always seemed to go 85-90.....also, what Mitsu dealers are they planning to sell these at? It is a very very dead brand around here.

In reply to nicksta43:

FWIW, the '77 e21 was faster than my DD fukus.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/4/13 3:28 p.m.

I never had a problem in the '90 Miata either commuting.

People in Tulsa generally drive the speed limit, a few outliers either direction, but mostly people drive 0-5 mph over the speed limit. However, they can't handle merging into traffic without waiting for a 1/4 mile gap instead of just adjusting their speed to slide into a gap.

That's a good point about being a dead brand. The Tulsa metro area is 900k-1 million people and there are exactly ZERO Mitsu dealers here.

Part of the reason I ended up with a 5.0 last year instead of an EVO.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/4/13 3:33 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

There might still be 1 in Indianapolis, but the place wass last well known for "performance modifications" turning up missing off of Evo's they serviced.....

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
9/4/13 3:43 p.m.

Mitsubishi will be the next Suzuki. Globally viable, but dead in the States.

Given Mitsubishi's status in the US, and the competition from the base Versa, I don't see Mitsu selling more than 10k units per year, tops.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
9/4/13 4:12 p.m.

This particular Mistsu seems to be a Euro car. Not intended for North America.

Overall, yeah, Mistsu has been dead for a while. Ever since that interesting financing offer they had a decade ago. What was it - no money down and no payments for two years? Doesn't take a genius to figure out that every dead-beat in the US would buy that car and drive it until Mitsu came to repo it.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
9/4/13 4:26 p.m.

It screams Kia to me and in the 60's when they had those HP numbers the cars were also in the 1200# range.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/4/13 4:46 p.m.

People have to have a reason to choose one car over another. The Versa sedan starts at $11990 and gets 40mpg highway (claimed) and you can actually find Nissan dealers. You're scraping the bottom of the barrel with these cars and this little Mitsu will have to be $1000 better than a Versa to sell much. I'm not sure I see it. It's the same problem the Mazda2 has. There's not a compelling enough reason for most people to buy it so they're not selling many so they're killing it.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/4/13 4:52 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I've gotta bang gears pretty hard just to get to school in my 120hp Prizm in today's traffic.
Really? I realize my NC Miata has 167hp, but I usually never take it above 4000rpm and frequently skip gears. Then again I don't really ever slow down either.

Ever drive in rush hour Detroit/metro traffic? I'm not messing around when I'm rev matching down on an interchange ramp and/or redlining through 3rd, I'm just trying to fit in a gap or get across 4 lanes of traffic in a mile to hit a left exit. I'd miss a lot of exits and drive over a lot of debris filled breakdown lanes otherwise. Its all 55mph era highways running at 80, drive like a maniac or die.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/13 5:03 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: This particular Mistsu seems to be a Euro car. Not intended for North America. Overall, yeah, Mistsu has been dead for a while. Ever since that interesting financing offer they had a decade ago. What was it - no money down and no payments for two years? Doesn't take a genius to figure out that every dead-beat in the US would buy that car and drive it until Mitsu came to repo it.
Edmunds Article said: The 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage made its U.S. debut at the 2013 New York Auto Show and will reach showrooms this fall,
amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
9/4/13 5:29 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
amg_rx7 wrote: This particular Mistsu seems to be a Euro car. Not intended for North America. Overall, yeah, Mistsu has been dead for a while. Ever since that interesting financing offer they had a decade ago. What was it - no money down and no payments for two years? Doesn't take a genius to figure out that every dead-beat in the US would buy that car and drive it until Mitsu came to repo it.
Edmunds Article said: The 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage made its U.S. debut at the 2013 New York Auto Show and will reach showrooms this fall,

Apparently I fail at reading comprehension.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/4/13 5:53 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: People have to have a reason to choose one car over another. The Versa sedan starts at $11990 and gets 40mpg highway (claimed) and you can actually find Nissan dealers. You're scraping the bottom of the barrel with these cars and this little Mitsu will have to be $1000 better than a Versa to sell much. I'm not sure I see it. It's the same problem the Mazda2 has. There's not a compelling enough reason for most people to buy it so they're not selling many so they're killing it.

I was coming in late to say roughly the same thing...
Mazda sells so few of the Mazda2 that they debate weather to keep it around and now Mitsu's big gamble is to try to get a PIECE of that action.
I think this (again) signals the death knell of Mitsu in the states. After all, it is rather amazing that they are still here.
Another good move was that their Outlander model is largely unknown even though it has been offered in the US since '03 (10 years.) So, when Mitsu was ready to have another SUV offering, they went with "Outlander Sport." I guess that was so they did not have to waist all that effort they had put in to building the name
What that shows to me is Mitsu can not compete and drive the big ad budget needed to build a car name.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
9/4/13 6:17 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: Overall, yeah, Mistsu has been dead for a while. Ever since that interesting financing offer they had a decade ago. What was it - no money down and no payments for two years? Doesn't take a genius to figure out that every dead-beat in the US would buy that car and drive it until Mitsu came to repo it.

When we were buying my wife's car I looked at the Mistu Lancer Sportback, the thing that killed me was the 1990's fuel mileage. 32hwy.. really? When Mazda, Ford, and Hyundai were getting right at 40. And it's definitely not cheap enough to warrant picking it over the competition. If it had a direct injection 40mpg engine with a manual option.. then I'd at least have stopped by for a test drive.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/4/13 6:50 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: At least they're going to offer a manual transmission.

Are you listening, Toyota?

No, you're not.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
9/4/13 7:11 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I was coming in late to say roughly the same thing... Mazda sells so few of the Mazda2 that they debate weather to keep it around . . .

Not to threadjack too much, but I've looked at the 2. Southern California dealers are clearancing '13s right now - $13k for a Sport and $15k for a Touring. I thought I might find it a viable option.

It really isn't. 35mpg highway just isn't competitive any more and the power is lower than a Fiesta, which is also a lot bigger.

I don't mind tiny cars; in fact, I rather like them. But none of the current crop compels me - not when I can get an Accent or Rio for the same money and it has more power and MPG.

Mitsu is dead to me.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/4/13 7:16 p.m.

You think the Fiesta is physically a lot bigger than the Mazda2?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
9/4/13 7:54 p.m.

Wait, Mitsubishi is still in business? Are you sure? I don't think they are....

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/4/13 8:17 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
yamaha wrote: In reply to 93EXCivic & z31Maniac: Michiganites also drive like idiots.......
Ahhh, yes. The post where idiot drivers exist only in your state, you likely also have the crappiest roads and the most corrupt politicians as well. You are in a unique environment that is significantly worse than everywhere else.

Yes, Michigan is unique. We are documented in various magazines as having the worst roads. Plenty of idiot drivers, and their numbers multiply exponentially when it snows. The former mayor of Detroit is in prison along with many of his cronies.

Any more questions?

back to the car in question.

I do like the idea of a light, simple car. However this thing is way ugly and vastly under powered by modern standards. I do like the fairly straight forward dash design though.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/4/13 8:30 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: It looks a lot like a Yaris. I think I may go my entire life never owning a Mitsubishi...

I'm on the same track, even if it had a 2 liter 140 hp, I would pass, because its a Mitsubishi, and it probably wouldn't run very long, because its a Mitsubishi.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/4/13 8:33 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
Ahhh, yes. The post where idiot drivers exist only in your state, you likely also have the crappiest roads and the most corrupt politicians as well. You are in a unique environment that is significantly worse than everywhere else.
Yes, Michigan is unique. We are documented in various magazines as having the worst roads. Plenty of idiot drivers, and their numbers multiply exponentially when it snows. The former mayor of Detroit is in prison along with many of his cronies. Any more questions? back to the car in question. I do like the idea of a light, simple car. However this thing is way ugly and vastly under powered by modern standards. I do like the fairly straight forward dash design though.

Ahem

http://money.msn.com/now/post--which-states-have-the-worst-roads

Again, everyone seems to think they have it the worst.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JGY3uS8XTMgKPFigtfpFhqGwWDBagBcVS5oLnh81XsZofV8vyL2QZcF7vYlCECtt