1 2
RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/30/23 6:54 p.m.

2005 Mustang that has been chronicled in these pages before:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/2005-mustang-gt-5-speed-53k-miles-mine/164582/page1/

Further chassis and stiffing upgrades have been completed since the 2020 sale.

Going to install 15" Rotors and 6 Piston Brembos on the front

The 18" wheels will not clear the soon to be new upgraded rotors

Is there any advantage to going to 20" over 19""

Car will be track driven 25% of the time but mostly a weekend play toy.

Does not seem to be a large price differential in either size

Thanks

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
10/30/23 8:28 p.m.

Have you looked into tires? 20s, especially wide 20s, are generally more expensive and less available in performance tires. Going up two diameters, is there even a 20" size that fits and is a reasonable diameter? Or if you're okay with a diameter increase, does that create clearance issues?

RacingComputers
10/30/23 8:54 p.m.

There are multiple examples on the Mustang Webs of 20 X 10 front and 20 X 11 rears fitting the S197 chassis platform without having to do body work.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
10/30/23 10:24 p.m.

Hmmm I have massive brakes on my c6 and 18" fit no problem.  Other guys I run against in mustangs I believe have big brakes and 18's as well. 

you might not need brakes that large and staying with 18's will be better on the wallet, initially and  every time you need tires. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/30/23 10:34 p.m.

20s will fit just fine, but I went with 19s. A few reasons: One, I don't like the look of giant dubs on older cars, two, sidewall is a good thing, and three, cheaper tires.

My plan is to go with S550 PP1 Brembos, and those cars come with 19s, so I should be fine.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/30/23 10:36 p.m.

Do you NEED brakes that big? Would a smaller setup with proper ducting still get you there? 

There is no advantage to 20" over 19" they will have less selection, be heavier, and more expensive. 

RacingComputers
10/31/23 12:31 p.m.

Thank you for the  inputs

Need, big brakes, no

Want big brakes, another story

Brakes are currently ducted

11" Front Rotors vs 15" would seem to be a sensible upgrade prior to the increase in HP that is planned for next season

Regards

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/23 12:51 p.m.

I upgrade brakes on literally everything I have. Even my bicycle got a disc brake swap. But I honestly don't think I've heard anyone refer to a 15" brake rotor as sensible. I don't want to come off as abrasive so I apologize if I do. It's just wild to see that as the norm nowadays. Is there not a moderate 13 or even 14" brake setup available?

If not, I'd probably go 19s.

10/31/23 12:54 p.m.
iansane said:

I upgrade brakes on literally everything I have. Even my bicycle got a disc brake swap. But I honestly don't think I've heard anyone refer to a 15" brake rotor as sensible. I don't want to come off as abrasive so I apologize if I do. It's just wild to see that as the norm nowadays. Is there not a moderate 13 or even 14" brake setup available?

Eh, Mustangs are heavy, and if he's talking about increasing horsepower, I can see it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/23 2:13 p.m.

One thing to look out for would be the available tire selection, I'd expect the selection of performance tires available to fall off a cliff going from 19s to 20s.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/23 2:13 p.m.

I'm a fan of the S550 PP2 setup.  If I were going to larger wheels for my 08, that's what I would replicate.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/31/23 3:31 p.m.
RacingComputers said:

Thank you for the  inputs

Need, big brakes, no

Want big brakes, another story

Brakes are currently ducted

11" Front Rotors vs 15" would seem to be a sensible upgrade prior to the increase in HP that is planned for next season

Regards

I wasn't saying no BBK, but I suspect a 13-14" setup would still be a massive upgrade over what is currently there without being forced to run 19" wheels. 

RacingComputers
10/31/23 6:09 p.m.

Thanks

Have to buy two wheels due to the Mrs dropping the ledt  side wheels into a serious crater and resulting cracks

13/14 with 4 piston Brambox might be an option

Appreciate the input

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/31/23 6:30 p.m.

In reply to RacingComputers :

I'd also see what is available for your car from Baer, Stoptech, and AP.

10/31/23 9:27 p.m.
z31maniac said:

There is plenty, but few of them are as good a value as the PP2 stuff. Around $1k for a bolt-on front upgrade to 15" rotors and 6-piston Brembos is hard to beat.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/1/23 11:57 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
z31maniac said:

There is plenty, but few of them are as good a value as the PP2 stuff. Around $1k for a bolt-on front upgrade to 15" rotors and 6-piston Brembos is hard to beat.

No doubt. But you also have to be aware of master cylinder sizes, piston sizes, etc. 

RacingComputers
11/1/23 7:59 p.m.

The Ford S550 system has been utilized for several years by both Boy Racers and the people who get paid to drive and stop fast.

As Tom_S mentioned, this seems to be the most cost advantages brake options for the S197 platform.

Will look at the wheel styles availability to replicate the S550 setup.

Thank you all

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
11/2/23 10:41 a.m.

Grab the earlier 14" GT500 Brembo setup.

14" rotors, 4 piston Brembo calipers and they fit right on the 2005 GT. I ran them on mine for a while until i sold the car. 

They can be bought quite cheap on Ebay from take off cars. Rotors on Rock Auto are reasonable and you dont even need new brake lines. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
11/2/23 12:31 p.m.
kevinatfms said:

Grab the earlier 14" GT500 Brembo setup.

14" rotors, 4 piston Brembo calipers and they fit right on the 2005 GT. I ran them on mine for a while until i sold the car. 

They can be bought quite cheap on Ebay from take off cars. Rotors on Rock Auto are reasonable and you dont even need new brake lines. 

This is what I have, $300 used and came with pads and rotors that I'm still running.  These calipers and rotors are available at Rock Auto usually.  Don't forget that 15" rotors and 19" wheels will weigh more.  This 14" setup is only 3-4 lb heavier due to losing the caliper bracket.  To get the weight back down to less than stock just switch to two piece rotors with aluminum hats.

My $.02,  I can now swap all four corners in 45 minutes to track day pads and back.

RacingComputers
11/2/23 3:23 p.m.

Thanks All

Son just found a crashed GT350R in FL.

Buying it for salvage from the Owner

Comes with Full brake setup, and enough sellable parts to make a trip to Jacksonville a viable option.

Looks like 19" are in our future

Thanks all

Details to follow

RacingComputers
11/2/23 6:11 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

You mentioned Aluminum Hat 2 piece Rotors

Any specific manufacturer you have in mind

I have read that Girodisc  have a good setup however they are $700 per rotor.  Both Front and Rear rotors.

Thanks

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
11/3/23 6:28 a.m.

I can't find my notes but I had a set from Wilwood spec'd.   I recommend calling Wilwood.

Also nice score on the GT350

RacingComputers
11/3/23 2:30 p.m.

Thanks

Headed to Micky World Area tomorrow to look at what we are going to buy

Wildwood was always my go to in the NASCAB world

Detail sto follow

RacingComputers
11/4/23 12:24 p.m.

On the Road to Mickey Land