jrflying
jrflying New Reader
1/28/15 8:53 a.m.

Alright hive, I've got a line on a 1964 Ford Fairline 500 4DR with the 260 V8. It's been sitting for about 2 years. It looks like minimal rust, texas car so mostly surface rust. It has either 37k or 137k original miles, owner says 37k. What do I need to pay special attention to when I look at it? What are some good upgrades for it? Thanks all!

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
1/28/15 10:06 a.m.

Great big boats. I had a 65 4 dr. As long as the rust is OK not much problems except check the brake lines. Mine otherwise was near bomb proof until the transmission gave out.

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
1/28/15 10:07 a.m.

Are there any secret spots I should check like the cowls on Mustangs?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/28/15 10:08 a.m.

I had a 67 4 door with the 289. Also nearly bullet proof enough for a teenager to abuse. Brakes, as mentioned.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/28/15 10:19 a.m.

You seem to have got the Memo on Rust-checking, so the only item left on the list is "Make sure that the Coyote engine fits without too much trouble."

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/28/15 10:24 a.m.

I thought the Galaxie was the boat and a Fairlane was the mid-sized model.

Jrflying, I can't speak for Texas cars, but up here where they salt the roads there is no hidden rust, it's just all over! Bring a good flashlight and peek around using your imagination. I bought a car from Arizona and rust wasn't an issue but very fine baby powder like dust hammed EVERYWHERE. About 2" inside the doors, in the defrosters, just all over.

Dan

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UltraDork
1/28/15 10:33 a.m.

Bring a flashlight, poke your head under the dash and look up at the cowl. All Fords of this era suffer from cowl rot and it is one of the hardest panels to replace. It is also not caused by salt so it will affect cars from any locale.

You will know it when you see it.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
1/28/15 10:42 a.m.
914Driver wrote: I thought the Galaxie was the boat and a Fairlane was the mid-sized model.

Kinda right kinda not. Same basic car shell, but the Galaxie was full framed whereas the Fairlane was unibody. Reason they are so different but so much the same.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
1/28/15 10:43 a.m.

Hard rust check of course...lower edge of doors, floorboards and behind rear wheels. Make sure all the trim is there. Rear window is difficult to find if broken or cloudy. Fabrics, plastic and rubber parts will be at the end of their life so plan on replacing/upgrading these parts. It was parked for a reason, discover that reason!

Once you know what you have and what is broken you plan for replacement and upgrade. First real upgrade I would do is suspension rebuild and brakes. Switch to a dual reservoir system with disc brakes, Pertronix or similar ignition, relays for headlights and LED tail lights. This might get you a good part time cruiser. Your plans will dictate where you go from there.

Bruce

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/28/15 10:44 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Yep, the Fairlane is still a midsized car though for that era though. But about everything that era was a "Boat"

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UltraDork
1/28/15 10:46 a.m.

The Galaxy was Fords "Full size" car, The Fairlane was the "Mid size" and the Falcon was the small car.

They are very different in size. 64 Galaxys are almost 2 feet longer than a 64 fairlane

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
1/28/15 10:52 a.m.

Initial plans for the car would be a cool cruiser, not a DD. I'd like to get it running, cleaned up, and painted. If it's numbers matching I think I would leave it stock/mostly stock. I would do a disk brake conversion. If not stock then probably some updating like 302 with 350-400hp and suspension work for some vintage corner carving.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
1/28/15 11:25 a.m.

"But about everything that era was a "Boat""

Not really so "boatish" at all . . .

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1595&bih=927&q=1964+ford+fairlane+gasser&oq=1964+ford+fairlane+gasser&gs_l=img.12..0.2891.19895.0.22099.27.14.1.12.12.0.100.1124.13j1.14.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.61.img..0.27.1175.lannjzMA1hg

That's a SWEET find, anyway that you build it will work great. A down-the-street neighbor has one in yellow, done gasser-style with a neat tear drop bubble hood bulge/scoop.

Looks heartbrakingly period correct.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/28/15 1:33 p.m.

Go here for Fairlane boners.

If you buy it you have to dress, and act, like this. It was hilarious about 25 years ago.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
poqdGdOKZCOnxvK34fYcHWA5TcxatDFSgalMIQIeqbXR6yWMMYBZdOUshs20ZIAw