skierd
skierd SuperDork
8/2/18 6:19 p.m.

My old landlord has a 1975 Dodge W200 crew cab that I’ve been enamored with since we first met her a few years ago. We’ve stayed close over the years, and last week she mentioned to me that she might finally be ready to sell. Her first husband bought the truck new. It gets driven every couple weeks, or at least moved around the property under its own power. 360, 4spd manual, under 50k miles, and is all original except I believe the anmeter has been bypassed. It still has 16.5” wheels and the tires are dry rotted.  It needs a lower radiator hose. Everything else is supposed to be good...

So... the biggest question to me is what’s it worth? 

What are the common fail points to look out for?  I assume rust, everywhere, but what else? I had a 1977 d200 before but it’s been a long time, loved that truck despite it having no floors to speak of. 

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/2/18 6:32 p.m.

Everything rubber will need replaced. Coolant hoses, brake lines, door seals, accessory belts, and many seals. Being run regularly should help. But with that low of a mileage many other wear parts may be original.

Sweet looking truck though. Good luck.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/2/18 6:58 p.m.

Flaming river steering shaft. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/2/18 7:16 p.m.

16.5 was a bitch to find tires for in rural tennesee in the early 2000s. 

rust everwhere

leaf springs will be sacked on all 4 corners

thermoquad 4bbl may be problematic due to the plastic float bowls aging poorly

manual steering???? no air? 

if you can get for around 3k, its worth every penny. may even bring 5k cleaned and sorted.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
8/2/18 8:39 p.m.

Here that would easily be 5k.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
8/2/18 9:19 p.m.

Why is that Stant box on the seat? Getting hot? Frozen?

skierd
skierd SuperDork
8/2/18 10:01 p.m.

The box says gas cap, so I’m guessing it’s a gas cap.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/2/18 10:20 p.m.

Crew cabs are fairly rare and desirable. Could be a cool family hauler with a/c and a fix up. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
8/2/18 10:31 p.m.

Steering box mount can rip from the frame, roof rust is a big deal on these- check the outside by the windshield, and then the inside by the B pillars.  The 16.5 issue is easily corrected with later 16" wheels. Wiring can be an issues, and the ammeter is one of the biggest culprits.  Make sure it was done correctly. 

1975 was the first year of the full time 203 transfer case, and a unit bearing D44 front axle. Parts sometimes can be an issue. Being a crew cab, rear doors and their attendant parts have become crazy expensive. Also, watch for rust at the frame next to the fuel tank, if you don't have the in cab tank. (Edit- I see you have both) Floor and rocker rust isn't the end of the world, but cab support rust can kill. 

They are great trucks; I currently three 72-93 Crew Cab Dodges, and think that they were one of the best of the era. 

Price?  That's a loaded question, but it is hard to go wrong at $3k or under if the body is decent. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/3/18 6:23 a.m.

I bought one with a plow for $1400, sold the plow, sub-frame and hydraulics for $800.  Ran it for a few months then realized it isn't me.  You'll never get in the left lane, split rims!  Sold it to a happy farmer for $900.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/3/18 8:14 a.m.

Rust would be my biggest worry but it looks pretty clean in the picture.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oJt2XHFJ4SRgB3GydmXJ4XGTy0rkP8OrQrrBRH6fMjsKGsZHgwnY0uW4aZhm9IfO