patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/08 3:50 p.m.

pic no work.

90 fleetwood front wheel drive or 90 fleetwood brougham rear wheel drive?

RWD i'd jump it like a 5 dollar pr.... um. 5.7TBI and 700r4 are pretty bulletproof and the D body chassis takes all the 94-96 impala SS suspension bits

patgizz
11/27/08 6:37 p.m.

that was my 78, same basic car except had the old school big block engine still.

mine had the following from a 96 impala SS:

springs(2" drop) sway bars shocks rear control arms 3.08 posi disc brake rear axle

prior to the rear axle it had the pictured SS wheels, after the axle swap i had to get new wheels because the SS axle is 1 1/4" wider than the regular B and D body rears.

never should have sold it.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/28/08 12:26 a.m.

Oh hell yes. I'd own one in a heartbeat. Even better if its the powder blue with white interior :)

I actually passed on an 89 because it was black on black with the Olds 307. The 307 was horrifically gutless anyway, but put it in a behemoth D-body and it was just abyssmal.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/28/08 12:30 a.m.
http://www.fleetofcads.com/85broughamcoupe.htm Thanks for the reply, that was informative, I didn't know what they shared a platform with.

The D-body is basically a longer-wheelbase B-body, so they share a LOT in common with the caprice, impala, roadmaster, olds 88 and 98, biscayne, kingswood, etc.

Another little tidbit. The Chevy B-body used the same basic frame, suspension configuration, and interchangable parts since 1971. The BOP cars back as far as 1965. I put my 96 Impala SS springs into my 66 Pontiac Bonneville. I could have used the control arms, trailing arms, axle, and brakes as well. I had a 73 Impala Station Wagon that used the same exact brake caliper part number as my 96 SS.

PorschesOnTheCheap
PorschesOnTheCheap New Reader
11/28/08 8:09 a.m.

And they're cheap, too! link

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
11/28/08 5:53 p.m.

Wow, that white coupe in the link is amazing. My grandpa's Fleetwood wasn't that nice when he bought it brand new.

Those are pretty cool, though. I do prefer the 93+ cars, but those boxy ones on rims for mere mortals have a certain... "I don't know what."

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
11/28/08 5:58 p.m.

I just looked up the '88 Fleetwood on MSN. Curb weight listed as 3,448. That is 2lbs lighter than the 2005 Mustang GT 5 speed coupe!

bamalama
bamalama New Reader
11/28/08 6:06 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: I just looked up the '88 Fleetwood on MSN. Curb weight listed as 3,448. That is 2lbs lighter than the 2005 Mustang GT 5 speed coupe!

No way those things only weigh 3500 lbs.

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
11/28/08 6:10 p.m.
bamalama wrote: No way those things only weigh 3500 lbs.

The internet doesn't lie, my friend.

bamalama
bamalama New Reader
11/28/08 6:40 p.m.

I had a 5500 lb Catalina. I'll believe a 3500 lb Fleetwood when I see it.

However, it'd be awesome if it is true, I've always wanted a late 70's 2 door Fleetwood. I'd wear a pimp hat everywhere I drove.

Luke
Luke Dork
11/28/08 7:36 p.m.

The white coupe in that link is absolutely incredible. That interior is nicer than my living room

Also, check out Ryan's Caddy: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/450/

patgizz
11/29/08 8:39 a.m.

lugnut that was for the FWD fleetwood, there were 2 fleetwoods for a few years

front wheel drive with the 4.1/4.5/4.9 and the RWD brougham.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/29/08 9:20 a.m.

I had a 83 Fleet-wood brougham with the 4l v6. IT had no water jackets around the cylinders. The only cooling was in the head. The motor was really strange to look at. It would get up and scoot for a big car and a small motor. I loved that thing. I had it when my kids were little. I would put them in the back and they could be killing each other and I would not here a thing. I F i remember it got "ok" millage for a boat. some where around 20 mpg. What killed it was that the flex plate kept braking and each time it did ti would do more damage to the crank. Finally on the third time it broke the crank was so damaged that we could not bolt the flex plate to it. We thought about welding it but in the end it went to the junk yard. I was sad to see it go. I would love to get another one with the 350 SB in it some day. It was like riding around in your living room. With modern electronics you could make one of he coolest cruising mobiles.

I also had an 84 that had been extended as a "Minni limo" Basically they had added another three feet behind the b pillar. That car was not much fun to drive other than on the highway but as a passenger it was great. The times we had!!!!

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 HalfDork
12/7/08 1:14 a.m.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had the same thoughts I've had, but I'd love to turn an older Brougham (like the one I already have) into a track/autocross car. They're heavier than hell, but I bet a LOT of weight could be dropped from one if you completely stripped it out.

Engine swap/build the 350 (if it has one) + manual transmission would be killer. While you have the motor out, put in a quicker steering rack. Put a cage in it then tweak the suspension and set it right on the ground. Add some side pipes and some big fat tires on it. That would be so awesome.

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 HalfDork
12/7/08 2:43 p.m.

I guess when I think of it, I picture the old Trans-Am cars. Big land yachts on a track. I picture the Brougham looking something like this, except longer and wider. And more side pipes.

partsman427
partsman427 New Reader
4/28/09 6:28 p.m.

Ryan9118 land yacht on track, How about 4250lb factory built race car. back in the day 1964 Mercury Marauder

partsman427
partsman427 New Reader
4/28/09 6:28 p.m.

http://popularhotrodding.automotive.com/98345/0901phr-1964-mercury-marauder/index.html

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/28/09 7:47 p.m.

That's a tiny little falcon in that picture. A cadillac would look like an aircraft carrier trying to duke it out with bumper boats on the track.

Course, you'd have the intimidation factor going for you.

You might be better off using a 5.0 2WD Explorer with the independant rear suspension. NASCAR it up and go huntin'.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
4/29/09 8:29 a.m.

I've always wanted one of the RWD Fleetwoods or a Brougham. That white Coupe is beautiful, but I think I'd want four doors with such a large car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cC9NZyXjTPggvYJkkY8RtiO6jRsrSVJrvbH8PjZ68XTWdKH4ic9EFZX30DdYLL1i