AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/19 9:45 a.m.

NOTE:  i don't currently *need* an Opti, but I'd like to have a spare to bring to the Challenge.   So the question is, which of the many aftermarket Opti's are good?  Must be the early style for my '94 LT1.

Opti
Opti Dork
8/28/19 11:28 a.m.

The OEs had a Mitsu Optical sensor. They are NLA. The current thinking is to go find OE optis in the junkyard rob the mitsu sensor and install it in a cheap opti.

I revved my to 7K rpm every day and once i replaced my OE, I always got cheap remans from the parts store. There were multiples because Im dumb and broke a few. I never had a cheap one failed that wasnt quite obviously my fault.

If the good sensors are all 20 years old at this point, Id buy a lifetime warranty from AZ/ADV/OR/NAPA or a cheapy from ebay, IIRC Chandler motorsports was the hot cheap ticket last time I looked (89.99, been a few years though)

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/19 12:09 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

to paraphrase, you've had several cheapies and the only time they broke was when you broke them.

that's good info.   thanks!

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
8/28/19 12:42 p.m.

I used one of the China made Optis for the 94 LT1 I had in my El Camino. Worked great. It was off Ebay and was $73 at the time.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
8/28/19 12:49 p.m.

I went through this last year with my 94 LT1.  Parts store Opti's are a gamble and with the work required to r and r an Opti it's not worth the risk.

MSD and Accel offer new units, but they have problems and are generally not recommended.

After a lot of research I narrowed the choices down to two;

Petris https://petrisenterprises.com/collections/frontpage

Opti Doctor on eBay https://www.ebay.com/str/optidoctor

I went with the second option.  94 Opti's are not vented so I went with the Opti Doctor unit in conjunction with a MSD cap and rotor as this allowed me to add venting to my non-vented Opti.  The one I purchased from the Opti Doctor included a NOS Mitsubishi sensor - that was an option for a while, but I'm not sure if he still has those on hand. 

I know you are just looking for a spare so those may not be economical options.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/28/19 3:06 p.m.

Why does it have to be an early 94? The only difference I remember is the post 94 Optis got a vent, which helped clear out condensation, which kills them. I'd look for a vented one based on that alone.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
8/28/19 3:54 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Why does it have to be an early 94? The only difference I remember is the post 94 Optis got a vent, which helped clear out condensation, which kills them. I'd look for a vented one based on that alone.

As far as Camaro's go, the 93 and 94 were not vented and used a spline drive.  95 through 97 got the vented version and were pin drive.  It is no simple matter to switch to a spline drive LT1 to a pin drive.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/28/19 3:57 p.m.

No, but an early opti can be drilled for the vent.

I have never had the "opti" part fail.  They're darn near bulletproof.  Short of crusties on the rotor/towers or the rotor breaking, they are really long-lived pieces.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
8/28/19 7:21 p.m.

I've had a couple with over 250k miles on them with no problem. Even had a water pump leak on one which is supposed to kill them.

Opti
Opti Dork
8/28/19 7:39 p.m.

I pressure wash my engine bays vented optis or not. Never had water kill one except when I left the fresh air line in the frame rail and drove in a down pour which filled the opti with water. Even then I drain it and blew some air through it and drove it for a few days, had a high rpm miss which I assumed was because of some corrosion from the water intrusion.

Never had a problem with a cheapy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OgZnU8i3pQdQdJFS7MkxqfsiWO6Rskov1dzpy8EUh9q8umjn75OysISVwNvAmnVI