stan
stan GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/08 11:13 a.m.

What are the differences here? I know the HF has a lower hp motor, less bumper crush zone and a smaller rear axle, but what else is different?

thanks.

jrw1621
jrw1621 New Reader
5/27/08 11:50 a.m.

The HF was so stripped down that a passanger mirror was an option.

On all CRX's of that era, Air Conditioning was a dealer added option. I recently considered one but wanted AC. I suspect that the dealer no longer has parts to provide that option. Does anyone know of aftermarket sources for AC?

ww
ww Dork
5/27/08 12:11 p.m.

Don't know where you could get an AC outside of the pick-n-pull, but the HF is desirable because of it's light weight. In a car that is considered a feather weight by today's standards, the HF is a "super feather weight"! It will take all the same upgrades and motor swaps as an Si, so it's considered the best platform to start a "maximum" performance build on that chassis.

VitaminJ
VitaminJ
5/27/08 1:24 p.m.

I started my build with an '86 Civic Hatch HF. It's by far the lightest, the Si is about 2100lbs and the HF comes in just under 1900lbs I think. The HF model also has aluminum rear drums, which are the best upgrade for the Si drums.

If you leave it stock it'll do almost 60mpg. If you drop in a fuel injected motor or a ZC then it'll fly.

Check out www.redpepperracing.com

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
5/27/08 1:50 p.m.

To mention the obvious (only because you asked,) the DX and HF are carbureted, Si is fuel injected. As stated earlier, the HF is lighter than both the others in every way. No sunroof. Rear axle is lighter. Aluminum rear drums. Bumpers are shorter. HF didn't come with a rear wiper. Am I missing anything?

And yes, redpepperracing is your best source for all things 1gcrx. There's a set of Solex side-drafts on there right now for $200. Or you could just leave it the hell alone and have a metro-esque hypermiler with better looks.

I'm not sure how complicated the FI swap is, but I'm guessing you could find out on RPR. Obviously, you'd need to upgrade the fuel pump, swap the wiring harness, ECU, etc.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/08 2:00 p.m.

I was going to leave it untouched for my 50+mpg build. It's even further lightened courtesy of the tin-worm. Unfortunately that might also be it's doom... : (

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
5/27/08 2:08 p.m.

I saw a first gen HF around town. The guy said it had belonged to his mother. The car had a plate that said Honda where the radio should be, and even had a little plastic block off plate where the antennae would have been. This car had no options, and like 80k miles on it. Very little damage on the front fender. Very neat, and no rust.

I seem to recall it was an auto, though. Did the HF come with autos? I could be wrong, but Im pretty sure it was an auto.

Joey

ww
ww Dork
5/27/08 2:38 p.m.

I believe the auto was an option. That would probably be the first thing I'd swap. Get a good 5 speed with a nice over drive for hyper mileage.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
5/27/08 6:30 p.m.

I'd only buy an Si, but then again, mine was an Si, so I'm biased. The Si transmission is closer-ratio than the others, it's FI, and in 86-87 body panels are monochromatic. Wheels are 14" instead of 13. Mine got 40mpg average.

My dream CRX is the 85 Ballade Sports model with pseudo-flip-up lights and the two-tone paint. God it's awesome.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/27/08 6:33 p.m.
ww wrote: I believe the auto was an option. That would probably be the first thing I'd swap. Get a good 5 speed with a nice over drive for hyper mileage.

Autos were only available on the DX. All trim materials (carpet, seats etc.) got progressively better as you went up from HF, to DX and then Si. First gen HF were light but really slow (60-something hp) stock. I'd only consider an HF if you were planning to swap.

All get rusty and the plastic front fenders are getting pretty rare.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
5/27/08 9:54 p.m.

I dated a girl that had a CRX HF. Big gears on that - 45 in 1st gear. :omg:

alfadriver
alfadriver New Reader
5/28/08 7:01 a.m.

You all are making me nostalgic... I know this is about the 1st gen CRX's, but I sure loved my '88 HF. I put 150k miles on that baby, averaging about 50mpg. I almost turned it into a 2001 challenge car before giving it away.

While it had a rather wide ratio box, 1-3 weren't too bad- it would autocross reasonably well. I think a good "performance" version would be a small turbo on a stock HF to up the power to over 100 (63 stock), which would make it pretty peppy. But leave all else alone so that you could still get 50 mpg.

Great cars. Especially for one person commuters.

Eric

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8BuCn20rKmDCFZk3iJueOE1JBY5pyZU4m9l01Y1LWs8lvNCwB9FUT5aE0pjBRnTv