1 2
dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
11/1/12 4:38 p.m.

Anyone here personally have expecience with this? My lil brother has a '93 and was asking me about supercharging or turboing it. Anyone have input? Remote Mount Turbo seems the easiest...???

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
11/1/12 5:53 p.m.

No personal experience, but I can direct you to link to look around. Be aware that you're dealing with chassis design from a quarter of a century ago, plus two decades of wear & tear, so definitely look into chassis bracing and brakes before you hit the streets. SHO Source seems to have most of what you need in one spot.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/1/12 6:56 p.m.

Most of them that I see have turbos mounted around where the air box would be. Mounting a super-charger may be tricky because of the intake type and lack of space.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
11/1/12 7:03 p.m.

The picture you linked is my friend's car. He was the first to turbocharge one back in the 90's.

I have driven that car and it was stupid fas, especially on the highway. He could never get it to hook up but it ran a 13.1 at like 117 mph when he had it.

I remember racing a third gen rx7 on the interstate in it and the guys mind was boggled that he lost to a crappy looking taurus.

I actually sold it for him through my car dealership around 2003. The guy he sold it to went crazy with it and it is really fast now.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
11/1/12 7:09 p.m.

Jeremy thats awesome!!! What are you bringin next year to the Challenge? I have an Ace up my sleeve

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
11/1/12 7:26 p.m.

IDK why you would go with forced induction, that's a 10k rpm bottom end, build it up NA.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/1/12 8:10 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: IDK why you would go with forced induction, that's a 10k rpm bottom end, build it up NA.

Correct answer is both 10k rpm and turbo.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
11/1/12 8:16 p.m.

Not sure yet, I will see what I come across as the event approaches. I have a nice GS-R integra for less then challenge pricing that I just picked up but hopefully it will be long gone by the time the challenge rolls around.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/1/12 8:59 p.m.

i am interested in how to build one of these to 10k. If i can do this for cheap then i may show up at next years challenge with said motor.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/1/12 9:03 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: i am interested in how to build one of these to 10k. If i can do this for cheap then i may show up at next years challenge with said motor.

There are always wrecked SHOs at the yards down on hall street. If you're serious about it, let me know.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
11/1/12 9:18 p.m.

you can get a running example here for like $500... If its not a v-8 or carbed, they have no clue and run away because they think its a bad omen... lol

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
11/1/12 9:24 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: i am interested in how to build one of these to 10k. If i can do this for cheap then i may show up at next years challenge with said motor.

Cams most likely, as delivered by Yamaha they would make power that high, it just ate alternators and power steering pumps too fast at that speed. Or so Im told. Also, syncros might not agree, might need to convert the trans to dog engagement.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
11/1/12 9:31 p.m.

Paging Yamaha, paging Yamaha.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/1/12 10:07 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

I already have a low mileage engine, there are just a number of small things I need. I may have you look for me next time your there. I am pretty serious about this and think this will be a killer car.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/1/12 10:09 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic: That is what I figured and feared. That will work post challenge but I imagine they will be at least 1k in cost.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/1/12 10:09 p.m.

Also, sorry for the jack.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
11/1/12 10:17 p.m.

no worries, I linked this threar to his FB, we're lookin to any and all feed back

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
11/1/12 10:19 p.m.

Those SHO engines sound increadible.

The one in the picture had a quaife differential and it still had crazy torque steer. I am not sure what he did with the tranny to hold the power.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
11/1/12 10:23 p.m.

I can't wait to try the KLZE or F2T MX-3 against it while both are V-6's are NA lol... The SHO does run very well for what it is, but I think I'll beat it in the 1/4 arm drop drags locally lol Still be fun even if I lose ha ha!!

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
11/1/12 10:26 p.m.

I think he ran a 14.5 with his 1995 when it was NA I don't remember the trap speed off the top of my head.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
11/1/12 10:28 p.m.

my F2T ran a 14.80 with massive wheelspin at the challenge on 205/50/15 RT-615k's. I'm lookin to get back my 16x8 FD RX-7 wheels and some good soft rubber.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
11/2/12 8:25 a.m.

A KLZE MX3 should be faster than a typical bolt-ons SHO.

The F2T MX3 is probably always going to have a problem with traction until you get some wrinkle-walls on there.

Put it this way... i was spinning 3rd on the drag strip on 16x8 FD wheels wrapped in 245/45-16s. And i was way down on power due to various issues.

Dan, you'll see what i'm talking about once you start sticking some serious boost to your car, and once i get mine set up for 30psi.

Oh and By the way.... since your F2T MX3 exists... you can pretty much stick a SHO motor in an MX3 using the same method. SHO mounts = F2T Mounts except for one. There's been a few SHO-swapped 1st gen MX6/Probes.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
11/2/12 8:41 a.m.

Thats kinda interesting to know!

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/2/12 9:36 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Those SHO engines sound increadible. The one in the picture had a quaife differential and it still had crazy torque steer. I am not sure what he did with the tranny to hold the power.

The v6's sound horrible(trust me, I have 3 manuals).........especially after ditching catalyst. Better than most Honda's, but still worse than that amazing sounding v8 they put in them between 96-99.....

Basically, to the OP, these are essentially cobbled together bits and pieces turbo setups. There is only one "kit" I know of, and they haven't really made good power off of it. http://shosource.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_43_55&products_id=484 $1300 for just the hotpipes, nothing else.

The n/a record for power is close to 330whp(iirc), and turbo was somewhere in the 700's(iirc), either option, you're looking at spending 3-5 times what you paid for the car. Also, I think only 1 manual car has broken into the 12's, and a not-so-powerful turbo automatic car is still the quickest 1/4 time. At this point, everyone else claims they run 13.00.......at 125-135

To the OP, basically, have your brother join www.shoforum.com , but please have him search through the multitude of threads on the subject. The new guys coming in asking how to turbo gen1/2/3's post more threads about it than this board posts "What Car" threads.

I'd recommend sticking with n/a, completing all maintence, swapping to a 3.2L bottom end, the 3.0L heads, 3Lintake, and 3L exhaust manifolds, triflow cams, tweecer rt programmer, catless y-pipe, and big bore butterflies......that should bag close to 240fwhp n/a. Normally to net 300fwhp, you'll need to build an engine with higher compression.

Many of the parts for these cars are unobtainium or former group buys. Quaife/wavetrac ATB differentials for example, run between $1200-1600 in group buys if you can get enough people together with money.

I hope this news doesn't scare your brother off, as they are very fun cars to have, and always blow peoples minds with that gorgeous intake(look better polished ) Not bad for the cars ford built to take on the E28 M5 @ half the price.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/2/12 9:48 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Most of them that I see have turbos mounted around where the air box would be. Mounting a super-charger may be tricky because of the intake type and lack of space.

hard to supercharge you say? This is one of the now long defunct ShoShop vortech s/c kits......

There have been a few roots type s/c's done, but for the life of me my googlefu is failing me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MPXGMYyYl1vr7UlE424n928cag1QGR1Wy38ytTVMUlxyN54bJTV1ACWVtxPxcCpU