akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/18/19 7:50 a.m.

We both had a great time.

SCCA TNiA offered everything she needed for a first time track event.   We arrived early, the paddock was getting fresh pavement so parking was on the sunny south end only.   At check in we learned that her first session would be parade laps, no helmet required, passergers with wrist bands allowed.   This means I get to ride along and show her the cones. 

Her first impression was, Wow this is a lot of turning and so much going on all the time.   I told her that a lot of her corrections were due to the low speed, once you get faster the car will push out VS you putting it there for a lot of the line.   

Alexis was proud to be one of the three women drivers that day, the other two were old enough to be her grandma, and treated her accordingly.    Of course I'm very proud of her, she had a lot of fun, tried something new and came away with an understanding of what I do for fun.  Once comment was, "How do you do this for an hour and a half at a time in a race, I'm done after 20 minutes".  It gets easier with practice and experience. 

Before we went out separate ways she reminded me that there is another of these events in September, she's hooked.  Time to get her husbands G37S track ready. 

The car, 2008 Mustang GT, Hawk pads, Koni sports, Steeda sways and springs, 340 Tread wear tires.  My first impression was, what have I done.  My 92 that I sold to buy this was dialed in and confidence inspiring.   After letting a little air out of the tires and one more session I was getting used to the new car.  At the end of the day I matched the lap times of the old car, just slow in different segments in this car.   

Suspension felt good, I never even stiffened up the shocks although it would have helped.  Brakes need an upgrade and cooling ducts for me to feel confident in them.  Tires were good for a couple of laps before they got greasy.  So with a little more suspension work some bigger brakes and once I wear this out, some better tires, it will be capable enough for my needs.

This car has more horsepower, it just comes on a little late, and it's geared a little tall.  Fourth gear was only used in one place on the track, the back straight.   The intake gave it more top end from 4500 on up but made it lazy below that, this was holding me back a little coming out of a few corners.  Is supposedly has 3:73 gears but I have not verified that yet, they feel like the 3:55 ratio that the tag reads.

Bottom line is we had a fun and safe day.  My new car has potential and I'm happy with it, and I miss my 92 but only on the track.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/18/19 8:00 a.m.

It was hot at the track, not unbearable.  Sweaty selfie time.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/18/19 8:00 a.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/18/19 8:01 a.m.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/18/19 8:24 a.m.

Congrats! but you forgot to post some pics of the car out on track.

Adam

fusion66
fusion66 New Reader
7/18/19 9:02 a.m.

Very cool that you and your daughter got to share in the fun with your new car.

It sounds like our Mustangs performed pretty similar to each other with my best lap being a 1:54:203 and top speed on the longest straight 108 mph (only place to use 4th gear). Currently on 300 treadwear rating Nitto 555's at the June event (likely cooler track that day).

Hopefully will make it up for either the August or September event.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/18/19 9:57 a.m.

In reply to adam525i :

This is Alexis driving.  She may have pics of me.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
7/19/19 7:37 a.m.

NIce!  I was out there too in my red FRS.  My dream is to get my daughter hooked on it too someday!

BTW - you don't look old enough to be her father.  Not meant as a weird comment - just a compliment!

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
7/19/19 7:44 a.m.

And there you are!  In the wild.  This was second session at the end.  

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/19/19 8:20 a.m.

Cool.

I remember you, and giving you a point by.   Typical big dumb V8 car, let me get out of the way and then lift so you can get by.

Yeah, she’s 25, I’m 45, a very young 45.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
7/19/19 8:34 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I don't remember this but I appreciate it!  The group was pretty clean and I actually had a lot more open track time than I expected.  A fun way to spend the afternoon/evening.  I'm just hoping it wouldn't be so damn hot next time.  

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/19/19 1:41 p.m.

In reply to bcp2011 :

Oh yeah, it was the super polite run group.  

Me; Have a point by

Others; Oh no I insist you lead the way

Me; Well ok only maybe just one more lap but if you are still on my bumper after turn 4 

The truth is I mostly got passed a lot, except for the one session that I follow a white M3 the whole time as he slowly pulled away lap after lap.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
7/19/19 6:05 p.m.

Best Dad ever!!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/19/19 6:13 p.m.

Awesome Dude. Great Dad, great day, great car. A massive 100% win in every conceivable way and the best thing is you got to spend the day with your daughter (and your car!). It doesn't get any better than that.  Congrats. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dn8cvG3brjDCW76HyRAIkgtjbS22Nt6Vwo25tGyzQNqITBC2xPpY70Ftun3Aw1hN