granth
granth New Reader
1/20/10 2:28 a.m.

How do you guys feel about a 2000 SE miata as DD/track car that you car make some mods to and still have a car that is sort of a DD, maybe not every day as a driver but say a couple of times a week and then drive to the track swap the wheels/tires and have fun....

TIA

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
1/20/10 2:42 a.m.

22 posts and he dosent know that the answer is ALWAYS Miata?

I dont know if there is a better car then that really.

granth
granth New Reader
1/20/10 3:00 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

yeah I know that, but how about more details on the "answer"

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
1/20/10 3:17 a.m.

One of the Harddog roll bars, some brake pads, and a tire trailer?

The shortcoming of the miata is that it is a bit cramped. Even with my Mustang I end up envious of people with hatchbacks that can swallow tools and a set of tires. However, there just arent many RWD options in hatchbacks and many dont like FWD/AWD for track work. I guess the closest thing is a BMW 318ti. The Miata would win over that due to the massive development that has been done on it in comparison as well as a much larger market for go fast bits (new and used) that would tend to drive prices down and prevent you having to invent your own solution to things.

In regards to the specific miata, it has a torsen and it is a later miata, some prefer the lighter weight earlier miata and see it as more tossable. The only detraction from the SE is that (if I'm reading the specs right) its something like 50lbs heavier, which could be stereo stuff and could also be that (IIRC) the torsen diff is heavier then a non LSD.

What kind of details are you really looking for?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/10 6:04 a.m.

I've found that driving to the track and swapping tires can be pretty exhausting. You rush to get to the track, unpack, swap and then you're tired and soaked with sweat by the time the driver's meeting starts.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/10 8:16 a.m.

That Miata would perform exactly as you'd like. If you stuff it you'll have to find an alternative means home. In the meantime it will DD and track pretty well. If you use your street tires on the track you won't need a tire trailer.

Soma007
Soma007 New Reader
1/20/10 8:28 a.m.

A Miata is a great 2nd car. I pretty much use mine to autocross on the weekends and I drive it to work once or twice a week. You could live with one everyday if you really had to but I wouldn't want to.

Like the other guy said, just get a roll bar, some decent tires and go for it. The early NB cars (99-00) are nearly as light as a 1.8 NA but considerally nicer. A SE will slightly heavier but who cares unless you're running for laptimes.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
1/20/10 11:22 a.m.

I love my NA, but I have to admit the NB is quicker, and more comfortable. At one event, I took an off the showroom floor stock (original tires and everything) 2001 Miata for a fun run. I had plenty of experience in my ES 90 on R-compounds, but never drove an NB before. My one and only run in the NB was 0.6 second behind my own car.

Clay
Clay Reader
1/20/10 1:35 p.m.

I'd love a NB for a track/autox car. Here's a good build sheet to duplicate: http://02e4344.netsolstores.com/99miatarental.aspx

maengelito
maengelito New Reader
1/27/10 3:53 p.m.

I'll soon be selling my 99 NB track/DD car if anyone is interested. Just about to finish up replacing some control arm bushings and then gotta clean it up to make her pretty again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WEGPaNQOViGmSv11KTlnHTnKs0v4DRgcPyqZHzMZAhgmBOfLts3wfOnahHgoYPjR