cy1clown
cy1clown Reader
8/28/08 9:58 a.m.

I hope someone out there can help me with this problem. I have a 2002 Caravan with 80K on it and the A/C is running poorly. When I first got it the A/C was so cold it would freeze you ____ off. Slowly over time (years) it got warmer and warmer. Now it totally cut out some times. The compressor is turning and the freon pressure is good. What is the most likely culprit? What does a compressor replacement cost? The car just got rearended and I am trying to decide if I should cut and run or get it fixed. Other than the crash damage the A/C and a drop in MPG latley are the only issues. Any thoughts?

Thanks Jon

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/28/08 2:46 p.m.

Compressors are not cheap and typically the failure is to run out of coolant or freon. A recharge may help.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/28/08 3:03 p.m.

Hmmm. I'd start by verifying the refrigerant level (evac, recharge with correct amount, retest). Having said that, som earlier Caravans had A/C compressors which would fail prematurely and Chrysler extended the warranty on those to 7 years/70,000 miles from the original in service date. Since yours has 80K, it wouldn't be covered.

cy1clown
cy1clown Reader
8/28/08 3:41 p.m.

How does one go about testing for a bad compressor?

thanks Jon

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vVEAajRgUvuWHviqEwJM1R3opOVAZhX9LdFRTo72P7iYPm3s1lNk9fucfJgh7IiT