1 2 3 4
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/24/14 8:53 a.m.

There is no "V8 rule." We've had lots of V6, 4cyl and V8 cars in local competition. Corvairs are not allowed because they are REAR engine RWD.

mtownneon
mtownneon Reader
12/24/14 9:18 a.m.

From the 2015 CAM rule set:

•Vehicle must be either a domestic automobile of front-engine/RWD configuration or a “pick-up” truck.
Engine and Drive Train Allowances •Components (internal and external) are unrestricted.

That's the entirety of the engine rules in CAM. 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl are all allowed with as many modifications as you can dream up. Again, CAM is a "hot rodder's" class not a stock based class. Swaps, forced induction, lot's of cam, multiple carbs, whatever, it's all good.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/24/14 10:10 a.m.

Maybe the V8 rule got taken out in the revision? I thought it was there previously. I'm sure no one would protest a Corvair. If they did, their being lame.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/24/14 10:14 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Maybe the V8 rule got taken out in the revision? I thought it was there previously. I'm sure no one would protest a Corvair. If they did, their being lame.

Nope. It was that way last year as well.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/24/14 10:20 a.m.

Agreed. I doubt anyone would protest a Corvair provided it was built/modified within the spirit of the class.

Personally, I have two "dream builds" for this class. First would be a resto-modded General Lee replica (SRT crate HEMI, 6 spd, coil-over K-frame conversion, custom IRS, etc) and second would be a Dodge Demon "666" - heavily modified slant 6, 6 spd trans, some form of 6 venturi intake - either triple Webers or ITB EFI, similar custom coil over suspension. Car would be painted black with red accents. Racing number would be 666, of course.

mtownneon
mtownneon Reader
12/24/14 11:20 a.m.

If someone showed up with a Corvair that was front-engine rear wheel drive, sure it would be welcomed. A Corvair as it is configured stock, nope.

Gearheadotaku
12/24/14 11:25 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Gearheadotaku wrote: Maybe the V8 rule got taken out in the revision? I thought it was there previously. I'm sure no one would protest a Corvair. If they did, their being lame.
Nope. It was that way last year as well.

Well that makes 473rd mistake I've made today!

matman3
matman3 New Reader
12/30/14 9:22 a.m.

There seems to be quite a bit of ignorance regarding the exclusion of Corvettes in CAM. Seems to me CAM-S is the perfect place for them. A class for Cobras, Vettes and Vipers! What other two seaters are there?

Why is everyone so afraid of Corvettes? Stock classes I can see your knees quiver a bit but in a class that is unlimited? A class that allows Camaros, Mustangs, AMC, etc.. to redesign your suspension for optimum geometry, redistribute your weight and optimise your aero. This class equalizes all of the short comings each cars has and yet you are still afraid of a Corvette?

Me, I look for the fast car/guy and learn from him. Not run away crying to the SCCA gods (rule makers).

Will
Will SuperDork
12/30/14 10:05 a.m.

In reply to matman3:

Because no matter what you do to a muscle car (the intended heart of this class), a stock Z06 will beat it. I've yet to see the pro touring car that's the equal of a stock C5 or newer Corvette on an autocross course.

Also, CAM seems to be a builder's class, so buying and competing in a factory supercar seems wrong.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
12/30/14 10:35 a.m.

So the engine doesn't have to be up front as long as it's a "pick-up" right? Therefore, reading the rules, a mid engine, 90" wheelbase, 2600lb thing that maybe sort of resembles a truck is OK?

matman3
matman3 New Reader
12/30/14 11:19 a.m.

Will, that's flat out wrong and I think you know that. You're just being dramatic.

CAM is a builders class indeed. No arguement there. Why excluded a car(s) when they can be effectively classed in CAM-S? 2-door SPORTS CAR, sounds like a Corvette to me. Add some Cobras and Vipers in the mix and that sounds like a fun class to race and watch.

Gearheadotaku
12/30/14 12:39 p.m.

Vettes can run CAM, just has to be 1982 or older.

Will
Will SuperDork
12/30/14 12:58 p.m.

In reply to matman3:

I think a big part of CAM is going after cars that have no other place to be competitive within existing Solo classes. Newer Corvettes (and even Mustangs and Camaros) certainly have other classes where they can race and win.

I'd rather see a true ST* class for sports cars, and I think 97-up Vettes and all Vipers would be a better fit there than in CAM architecture.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/14 1:40 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: So the engine doesn't have to be up front as long as it's a "pick-up" right? Therefore, reading the rules, a mid engine, 90" wheelbase, 2600lb thing that maybe sort of resembles a truck is OK?

Oh good, I'm not the only one to see that loophole.

Doesn't have to be an American truck, either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
12/30/14 1:44 p.m.

That's it, we've solved this class.

matman3
matman3 New Reader
12/30/14 2:06 p.m.

I think there is quite a bit of confusion here regarding class structure. That might be where the disconnect is. This is a cut and paste from the SCCA.

CAM-T (Traditional) (body styles originating from 1954-72)

•Examples: Camaro (-1981), Mustang (-1973), Barracuda (-1974)

•Seating originally for 4 or more adults

•Wheelbase, minimum (inches) .................................................. ................................108

•Weight, minimum (lbs.) .................................................. ............................................3000

•Interior floor covering(s) may be replaced, but not removed.

CAM-C (Contemporary) (body styles originating from 1978-on)

•Included: Pontiac GTO (2004-06), Pontiac G8 (2008-09), Chevrolet SS (2014-15)

•Seating originally for 4 or more adults

•Wheelbase, minimum (inches) .................................................. ................................100

•Weight, minimum (lbs.) .................................................. ............................................3000

•Interior floor covering(s) may be replaced, but not removed.

CAM-S (Sports) (minimum wheelbase - 90”)

•Seating originally for 2 or more adults

•Wheelbase, minimum (inches) .................................................. ...................................90

•Weight, minimum (lbs.) .................................................. ............................................2600

•Weight, minimum (lbs.) w/ Lexan® windshield .............................................2750

Nobody has yet to explain why a C4-up Corvette shouldn't be allowed to race Cobras in CAM-S. Older vehicles in "T", newer 4 seaters in "C" and two seat sports cars in "S" except Corvettes.

Anyone have an intelligent answer? It seems to me that so far the rationale is, well...it's a Corvette and eventhough it would be in a different class and I wouldn't have to compete against it, I still don't want it there.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/30/14 2:24 p.m.

There are already plenty of places in SCCA world for a vette to compete. If CAM is intended to attract the Pro-Touring crowd, then there is value in having everything in CAM quack like a duck so to speak.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/30/14 2:47 p.m.

3,000+ pounds, V-8 anyway you want it, little tires and wheels, no rules requiring decent brakes, a whole new crowd of Sonic cruisers & midnight street racers trying to turn left & right!! Sounds like a true recipe for disaster.

I hope they allow lots of extra run-off room. But even then, I wouldn't want to be close enough to the "course" to chase cones!

Gearheadotaku
12/30/14 2:53 p.m.

I understand they wanted the largest net they could to get the most interest possible, but caused a lot of confusion when they called it "Classic" without a cap on model year. There are plenty of other classes for new(er) cars and those folks should be encouraged to use them.

evildky
evildky Dork
12/30/14 3:03 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: There are already plenty of places in SCCA world for a vette to compete. If CAM is intended to attract the Pro-Touring crowd, then there is value in having everything in CAM quack like a duck so to speak.

Unless it's on street tires.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/30/14 3:13 p.m.

C5 in STU. All of them in Street.

evildky
evildky Dork
12/30/14 5:47 p.m.

We have some "enhanced" C6's running street tires, formerly CAM legal now relegated to ASP or higher. We rarely have any CAM cars show up other than C5 or C6 vette's. With the great street tires now available it seems the SP and P classes are all shrinking and the "ST" classes are swelling up.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/30/14 9:55 p.m.

In reply to evildky: C4 is in B Stock and C5 are in A Stock.

Edit: C5 Z06 is in A Stock and regular C5's are also in B Stock.

matman3
matman3 New Reader
12/31/14 7:25 a.m.

For Mr_Clutch, EVILDKY is referring to cars leaving the prepared classes and moving to Street Touring. We all know what stock classes Corvettes are in.

I'm going to bow out because to be honest, this feels like I'm talking to SCCA board. Closed minds rule there too unfortunately.

Imagine the show that could have been. Opening with CAM-T, fire breathing muscle cars of old throwing down. Then the new generation of muscle going blow for blow in CAM-C. For the finale, CAM-S which combines old with new. Cobras, Vipers and Cobras in the final no-holds barred fight. Instead the finale, is a few Cobras playing with eachother until the SCCA dilutes and regulates the classes so much everyone leaves again. Why do you think the USCA is so popular now? Minimal regulations with no prejudices against any vehicles.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/31/14 8:17 a.m.

In reply to matman3: I think that they changed the CAM rules because Corvette and Viper drivers entered CAM and smoked most of the muscle car guys, that's why they're ineligible. It's mostly to bring a new crowd in the sport. For people that want a class with no rules, just go to Street Mod or Super Street Mod. I don't think that the SCCA wants a Street Mod class with road tires when Street Prepared classes limit mods and allow slicks. The one vehicle I see left out is the C4 from a Street Touring class. I would like to see it in STR since it may be outclassed in STU, and I may want to buy one soon. All the serious Corvette drivers must be in C5's and up, that's why they didn't bother with making a C4 available in a Street Touring class.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gULPyO38blGyNcfKO19m1ZFyj0bQSAGUSOuOqV1BMCMRz7y1K7s8UzHGQxd5nqQC