Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/15 2:57 p.m.

I have a new RAV4 XLE AWD as a loaner today. It has a 176 hp four cylinder with a six speed Manu-matic. I am surprised at how much I like this thing. I don't want to own one, but I like it a lot more than the CRV we test drove a few months ago, and I'm a Honda fan. I'm pretty sure that I broke the rear tires loose a couple of times.

I had a Camry rental last week and I have to admit that Toyota is getting pretty good at the manu-matic thing.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/21/15 3:11 p.m.

Hmmm. I have one as a rental right now too, with the same 4 cylinder motor. It's a total dog. Feel like it can barely get out of its own way. Granted it's down 20% on power due to altitude, but still, ugh. It also doesn't help that both my other cars have close to 500 hp, so there's a huge chasm there between what I'm used to and this little cross over.

The feeling of the truck is decidedly cost cutter-esque. Light, tinny doors, decent cloth on the seats, but plasticy dash and cardboardy headliner.

How much does one of these in 4wd cost? If it's anywhere around $30k I'd have to say it's not worth the money.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/15 3:23 p.m.

The seats are very comfortable, but the material is crap. MSRP on this one is 27-something.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
1/21/15 4:31 p.m.

We bought one for the wife a couple of months ago. We test drove the CRV, the Mazda, Ford Edge, and whatever the small Buick is. We ended up with the RAV4 over all of those. It simply drove the best and had the best interior. Technically the Buick was probably nicer, but the engine didn't feel very good at all. It also had the best reliability ratings as well.

Anyway, ours stickered for about $28k, and we walked out the door for $24k. By contrast, she had initially wanted a CRV to replace her '03 CRV, but it wasn't great and they would only come off the price $500 for a leftover 2014. To have gotten a comparable CRV, we would have had to pay close to $30k.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
1/21/15 5:10 p.m.

If I needed a brand new car in my life today, the current RAV4 would probably be it. Unfortunately that probably reflects more on my lack of interest in most current cars than some special quality of the RAV4.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
1/22/15 12:51 a.m.

I can't imagine the current gen being as enjoyable to drive as the previous gen V6 Sport. It's no Miata, but it is both faster and better handling than it has any right to be. The new transmission might be a minor improvement, but if the manu-matic doesn't actually hold the torque converter locked for every gear in manual mode, it's still a pointless gimmick to me. Might have to go drive one now though, just to find out how it stacks up...Aside from the nearly 100hp deficit.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/22/15 5:08 a.m.

We have an '06 Base V6 AWD RAV4 and love it. For spirited driving, the transmission is a bit of a let down, but all-around we have no regrets.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/22/15 8:16 a.m.

My Y2K is a neat little car-truck-thing. Rides a whole lot better now with Koni's than the quarter million mile original, blown out shocks/struts. I've got about 5 in it with the Koni's, wheels and snow tires, so I guess I could get 6 of these for the price of one 2015 model.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/22/15 9:13 a.m.

That's a lot of money for a decidedly cut rate car. The tranny is particularly maddening, doesn't respond immediately and makes the car feel flat footed.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
1/22/15 10:22 a.m.

I just bought a 2010 Rav4 4wd 4-cyl. I like it a lot for a baby hauling DD. However, I'm getting a "Thrashing" sound on the first startup. They issued a TSB for this. Also, I found records that they had to reflash the ecm for whatever reason. Oh boy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UPb44xI2WG1kVPVdkZ9Yn1K17ECwE7q5Ew6VOp42ibrb4msVh8IeMjntqgvfim2M