1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
NickD
NickD Dork
10/5/16 10:44 a.m.

If only BRATs weren't so rare, I would do something like the rotary-swapped BRAT drift missile from Texas. But they all vanished around here yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrssssssss ago

And for those on the "it has to have a divorced bed and cab and be full frame to be a truck" bandwagon, the BRAT challenges both of those, because it is clearly a truck yet the cab and bed are integrated and it uses unibody construction (with really awful suspension)

MulletTruck
MulletTruck New Reader
10/5/16 11:11 a.m.

After owning several Brats over the years I still would not call them a truck, They were cars that were turned into smaller cars with a trunk without a lid.

I personally dont call El Camino types trucks either, I think of them as converted station wagons.

I never thought of my Pinto Haulabout a truck but it sure hauled its share of stuff from the pick a parts and craigslist.

But I can see the spirit of the competition, Some of the cars in the challenge push the grey line of being actual cars so its all good! We are just fortunate to have a group of people who put their reputations on the line and allowing us to compete in such a carnival and actually write about it, Thumbing their noses to the more "main stream" publications and showing the public what can be accomplished with a little imagination and even littler bank account!

The popularity of the Challenge and Lemons and internet shows like Roadkill and Day in the Dirt just show that there is a place for Backyard thinkers and tinkers to have fun and test "guestimates" brought about by beer and spicy food dreams.

One day I will make the pilgrimage and see the rodeo first hand!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
10/5/16 12:16 p.m.

Yes? or No? I need to know before I get too carried away thinking about it. I think the vote goes to John because he is unofficially in charge of the creation of sub classes at the event.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/5/16 12:31 p.m.

Can we build it in the parking lot?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
10/5/16 12:33 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

Yes

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/5/16 1:20 p.m.

We could use the trunk lid as the wall between the cab and the bed.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/5/16 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman:

Yes. YES. YES!!!

p.s. I have done that same 'analysis' many times with my saab (and with my v12 BMW before it actually). You are much better at MS paint or photoshop or whatever you're using.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/5/16 1:36 p.m.

p.p.s. watch your lines on the b-pillar. Often with sedans the front seats stick out behind the back of the door quite a bit.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/5/16 1:47 p.m.

In reply to MulletTruck:

You really need to. This was my first, and it took me 16-years to get there. I strongly recommend you don't wait that long. I also guarantee there are plenty of GRMers - myself included - who would put you up for a night or 2, or offer you a ride from our place, at least saving you a bit of travel expenses.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/16 2:04 p.m.

In reply to stan:

Sorry, I already sent him a email on it. If I pass on it, I'll throw the link up.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/5/16 2:43 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote:
patgizz wrote: Free to someone who challenges it: 1992 gmc c3500hd 185" wheelbase 19.5 wheels 454/4l80e Giant disc brakes all around Stipulations: must retain dually and 454 for event Shorten it, undersling the frame, Z cut it, just get it there and run it. Will include an 8 foot bed that you can chop to fit whatever. If you fail to show up at the challenge we have a signed agreement that you must bring it back, or at least the chassis and 454. I'm not giving away an HD chassis and 454 unless this shows up, im not the guy to do it as I need to improve on 8th place. Has a clear ohio title.
PM sent for more details

I replied to you and another, will see what happens when we get back to ohio.

patgizz
10/5/16 2:45 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: In reply to pimpm3: Yes

Can i have the purple car if i weld for you

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
10/5/16 3:03 p.m.
patgizz wrote:

Only once we blow the motor with the excessive use of nitrous. I'm sure it can run a 10....

patgizz
10/5/16 3:33 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote:
patgizz wrote:
Only once we blow the motor with the excessive use of nitrous. I'm sure it can run a 10....

300hp jets?

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/5/16 3:43 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to stan: Sorry, I already sent him a email on it. If I pass on it, I'll throw the link up.

Not a problem! S.C. (I'm guessing) would be quite a drive anyway. Do like what appears to be a great head start to a cool project though!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/16 4:13 p.m.

In reply to stan:

Still no response from him though. We'll see what happens.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/5/16 6:46 p.m.

Anyone in the PNW want to go in on this? https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5764233152.html

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/5/16 8:28 p.m.

Rabbit pickup was rated as a half ton pickup. Too bad the double wall strut housings rust horribly. A friend had my old one with an A8 drivetrain in the bed for mid engine goodness. Too bad never finished. Perhaps time to resurrect such a bad idea???

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
10/5/16 8:40 p.m.

Not sure how this would do in the autocross, but yeah...

EL CAMINO LIMO. $800.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5814764658.html

MacDubois
MacDubois New Reader
10/6/16 11:29 a.m.

There is a challenge priced Brat, Rampage, Rabbit pickups and El Caminos and a wealth of cheap Rancheros nearby (7 within a few hundred miles).

Let the planning begin.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/16 11:42 a.m.

I suggested merging this
With this
To a friend. He hasn't returned my text. Maybe I need better friends.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/6/16 6:33 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: I can't be the only one who wants to bring a crew cab long bed dually just for the hilarity of trying to fit it through the autocross, right?

$2013 we did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG1bB-x3Y1w

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
10/10/16 11:28 a.m.

http://www.smythkitcars.com/

I'm sure someone can do this for no $....

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/10/16 12:42 p.m.

Team Stampie had an executive meeting yesterday evening over some excellent white whiskey from Columbia, MO. We've decided to throw our hat into the ring with a truck build. Making a truck out of the $50 Q45 would be too easy so we're going to do a full truck build and bring both.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/10/16 1:13 p.m.

In reply to Stampie:

My initial thoughts for 2017 are to attend but not campaign my own car.
Keep me in the loop.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1AEHN3S8xky7nNouTkc9s6RVGsYzwyhrk9gWN4zVy3ffMgdVXzyHKv5RAM7sDQKs