David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/29/18 7:44 p.m.
feature_image

John Morton’s 1970 championship in a red, white and blue 240Z helped put a then-fledgling Nissan on the American map. And 48 years later, that same driver and car returned to Road Atlanta to recreate history. Welcome to Speedfest at the Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty, a chance to relive motorsports memories while creating new ones.

Nissan, the featured …

Read the rest of the story

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/29/18 8:52 p.m.

Had a blast as always. I’m looking forward to seeing pictures from the Datsun parade lap on Saturday. We had a whole crew in there

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
4/29/18 9:32 p.m.

Can confirm.

friedgreencorrado
4/29/18 9:36 p.m.

Oh, and one of his 'crew' had the *most* Georgia Nissan 620 pickup I've ever seen. Mud tires, lights on whatever bar that is on the back, etc.

friedgreencorrado
4/29/18 9:38 p.m.

Oh, and a "96 Rock" front license plate.

TreDeuce
TreDeuce New Reader
4/30/18 1:45 p.m.

I bought a new  73' 510 wagon and had it for a couple of years, even tracked and auto-crossed it with some success.  Traded it in for a new Opel wagon which handled much better then the Datsun. 

I had a lot of issues with the 510, repeated alternator failure, and chronic overheating which the dealer could never solve so traded it for the Opel which was fun to drive and never a reliability issue for almost 200,000 miles.

There is currently a new race trimmed 510-coupe 1/24th model out that is done very nicely and worth collecting. It is either by JDM-Tuners or M2

The only Datsun/Nissan I currently own is an 85' 720 Kingcab 4-WD with only 117,000 miles on it.

TommyZCar
TommyZCar New Reader
4/30/18 2:49 p.m.

The Mitty was fantastic! Race fields of 50+ cars and a ton of great people. Now if you can turn me in the direction of a correct brake booster for a 1973 240Z I would be very appreciative! cbrucciani@gmail.com

crankwalk
4/30/18 2:50 p.m.
friedgreencorrado said:

Oh, and one of his 'crew' had the *most* Georgia Nissan 620 pickup I've ever seen. Mud tires, lights on whatever bar that is on the back, etc.

Can’t call it a roll bar cause it probably wouldn’t work as one but it definitely helps hold the riff raff in the back. Haha

evildky
evildky SuperDork
4/30/18 6:04 p.m.

Good times, I don't think I took any pics on my 350Z while there. Maybe they got some on the skidpad.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
4/30/18 8:25 p.m.

On the way home to Ohio from the Mitty via the Blue Ridge Parkway, had a great time...

David S. Wallens
5/1/18 3:33 p.m.

Yes, a totally awesome weekend. Thank you, everyone, who joined us.

Got to see a ton of people--to the point where I pretty much lost my voice. Totally worth it. 

David S. Wallens
5/4/18 9:50 a.m.

Thank you, Nissan, for the post-event video. Lotta cars in there.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/4/18 11:03 a.m.

Awesome event---- and yeah, we did put a ton of Nissans / Datsuns on track during the Sat. (All Nissan) parade lap.   I was very relieved that all the cars made it around the track without failing.   There were a few machines making questionable noises as they came through the line.   I'm glad it all worked out. 

BTW--- the touring laps on Sunday  were a lot of fun.  Everyone behaved and we had at least 25 minutes on track--- at pretty decent speeds!  Thanks again to all who came and enjoyed a great Mitty!  

crankwalk
5/4/18 12:12 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

Awesome event---- and yeah, we did put a ton of Nissans / Datsuns on track during the Sat. (All Nissan) parade lap.   I was very relieved that all the cars made it around the track without failing.   There were a few machines making questionable noises as they came through the line.   I'm glad it all worked out. 

BTW--- the touring laps on Sunday  were a lot of fun.  Everyone behaved and we had at least 25 minutes on track--- at pretty decent speeds!  Thanks again to all who came and enjoyed a great Mitty!  

My green car has a gnarly exhaust leak at the manifold that ticks like its 3 quarts low on oil so I'm sure most people thought it was blown up.(It certainly looks like the kind of car that would be) 

What I found hilarious was that the parade lap end and 70% of the cars return to the infield to pop their hoods and inspect for leaks and parts falling off.  Only the Datsun marque could pull that off. laugh

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/4/18 1:36 p.m.
crankwalk said:
Joe Gearin said:

My green car has a gnarly exhaust leak at the manifold that ticks like its 3 quarts low on oil so I'm sure most people thought it was blown up.(It certainly looks like the kind of car that would be) 

What I found hilarious was that the parade lap end and 70% of the cars return to the infield to pop their hoods and inspect for leaks and parts falling off.  Only the Datsun marque could pull that off. laugh

Yessir......your green machine certainly had me doing a double-take when it rolled (ticked) past.   Glad you made it around fine--- and had a good time.   The Datsun crowd came out in full force--- tons of nice people!  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qWwZqk9ZfL6FekcEkTL6okMfp2KWSLTlDLMEoxyUBRYeFA2KaFYlDIhc71l2u7ZN