trucke
trucke SuperDork
6/8/17 12:47 p.m.

More power for the STI and stiffer suspension with bigger tires for the BRZ.

Subaru Press Release

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/17 12:58 p.m.

I'm surprised they didn't put wider tires on the BRZ tS, 215 is the same tread width as stock, and the car can take much wider wheels. I guess it would be bad for MPG which would be bad for the fleet average.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
6/8/17 1:11 p.m.

Mmmmm, me gusta. Retuned ECU and stronger pistons is a comfort, having heard the newer STi's reputation.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/8/17 1:12 p.m.

Ok Subaru when you say upgraded Piston on the STI what exactly does that mean. Also why did it take you 14 years of ring-land failure to figure out that maybe we would want higher quality pistons.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
6/8/17 1:26 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

Because if it doesn't hurt sales, why bother? Though I agree with you.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/8/17 1:55 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I'm surprised they didn't put wider tires on the BRZ tS, 215 is the same tread width as stock, and the car can take much wider wheels. I guess it would be bad for MPG which would be bad for the fleet average.

I can confirm. I just switched back to stock wheels/tires on my BRZ.

Was running 18x9.5 RPF1s with 255/35 Star Specs............the swap back to stock increased hwy mpg by 15% or so.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
6/8/17 2:01 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Ok Subaru when you say upgraded Piston on the STI what exactly does that mean. Also why did it take you 14 years of ring-land failure to figure out that maybe we would want higher quality pistons.

BMW still has cooling systems that explode every few years and has had that problem for years and all I ever hear is how great they are.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/8/17 2:16 p.m.

So I need to clarify a bit.

Why on the STI in particular did you wait so long. You know that your sales volume would have went up on the EJ257 powered cars if you did this because with a down-pipe an new air filter and a tune people could make 350whp easily. Sure people would have blown them up eventually but you have the ECU now to detect when people do stupid things with your cars. Its all fine and good to go up against the RS and the Golf R but that alone would have swung more people to your side. You could have leaned on the old EJ257 aftermarket to push sales so hard. I would take the crappy electronic diff's that are in the 2018 if I got forged internals.

People still buy Evo's for gods sakes because it is easier to make big power. That things has worse interior build quality then a playmobile set.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/8/17 3:09 p.m.
NickD wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote: Ok Subaru when you say upgraded Piston on the STI what exactly does that mean. Also why did it take you 14 years of ring-land failure to figure out that maybe we would want higher quality pistons.
BMW still has cooling systems that explode every few years and has had that problem for years and all I ever hear is how great they are.

If by "every few years" you mean 10-15 years and 100-150K miles..... then I'd agree with you. It's not like they instantaneously disintegrate. Yes, if you buy a 20 year old car.....there will be some maintenance to take care of. BMW's aren't foolproof by any means. But let's not get carried away. All cars have their issues. (some more than others) The stories on the inter webs seem to make you think that all BMW subframes will rip, all Subaru rings will fail, and that every Boxster ever made will have an IMS bearing failure.

The inter webs sometimes exaggerate!

Blaise
Blaise Reader
6/8/17 4:13 p.m.

Likely due to emissions rules. This is usually the source to all stupid WRX-stuff (like having a cat before the turbo on early models).

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/17 4:48 p.m.

There ain't much room for a ring pack in the EJ25. People knew this since the first EJ25s in the late 1990s. Part of the advantage of the FA/B engine is they have more room for rings.

Frankly, I'm shocked that Subaru turbocharged the 2.5 to begin with.

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
6/8/17 5:16 p.m.

All these posts and i am the first person to complain the ts doesnt come with more power? Yes ive heard all the excuses, but it seems like a 50/50 split between people who think its "underpowered" and those who think its sufficient.

PowerKraut
PowerKraut New Reader
6/8/17 10:37 p.m.

Who wants "flexible V-braces in the engine compartment" ? And what the heck are "New draw stiffeners"?

NickD
NickD SuperDork
6/9/17 5:18 a.m.
Catatafish wrote: All these posts and i am the first person to complain the ts doesnt come with more power? Yes ive heard all the excuses, but it seems like a 50/50 split between people who think its "underpowered" and those who think its sufficient.

I just figured it was already an established subject and there was no reason to head down that very well-beaten path again. Besides, I drive a car with 115hp, I would kill to have 205hp.

At least we made it 10 posts before it was brought up this time, instead of the 6 from the last time the Frisbee was mentioned.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
6/9/17 9:52 a.m.
Catatafish wrote: All these posts and i am the first person to complain the ts doesnt come with more power? Yes ive heard all the excuses, but it seems like a 50/50 split between people who think its "underpowered" and those who think its sufficient.

Like NickD said, I figured it's been beat to death. The 86 is slow. Either you like it or you can buy something fast. I'm saving for one :)

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
6/9/17 10:01 a.m.

I'd settle for them fixing that power hole in the middle of the RPM range.

The aftermarket can take care of the rest of it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/9/17 10:18 a.m.
The0retical wrote:
I'd settle for them fixing that power hole in the middle of the RPM range. The aftermarket can take care of the rest of it.

That is straight up emissions. The cobb tunes as well as everyone else fixes the issue but they all agree that it increases the emission profile. Subaru gets a hard pass on that one from me.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
6/9/17 11:07 a.m.

Didn't the 17+ get a better tune to solve that too?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/17 11:57 a.m.

While I would want more power in the BRZ, I see them just flat tearing it up at the autocross in many classes where they are way outgunned. Subaru is playing to their strengths.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
6/9/17 12:13 p.m.

I posted this on one of the many Facebook posts that popped up yesterday: "No turbo, I no buy" ...Subaru adds turbo and associated costs.... "Too expensive, I no buy"

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/17 12:27 p.m.

I remember in the mid 1990s, there were people online who said the FD RX-7 was a pile of crap and the Supra was a better car, because Mazda couldn't get any more power out of the engine and they had to resort to making the car lighter.

Some people will never be happy, and I think some people are happiest when they have something to complain about.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/9/17 1:52 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
The0retical wrote:
I'd settle for them fixing that power hole in the middle of the RPM range. The aftermarket can take care of the rest of it.
That is straight up emissions. The cobb tunes as well as everyone else fixes the issue but they all agree that it increases the emission profile. Subaru gets a hard pass on that one from me.

Yep, the new Miata does it as well if you look at stock dyno's.

Blaise, it got a lot of new engine parts including an intake manifold, etc. So the '17 tune isn't really applicable to the 13-16 tune.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
6/9/17 7:58 p.m.

Our EJ25 Forester XT blew up stock. I kinda like Subaru but just can't pull trigger on another EJ car. Current Forester isn't really a lifted WRX wagon either. I miss that. CF roof is cool though. Glad they still make the STI.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
58YmSEqyIJbUmgH2sghjF5sLYaxofPwR2gA0Wl2bbJDjGr0XC7FEM3AFK0ZSd8TA