1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/8/21 10:20 a.m.
feature_image

For many cars on the market, a new model year often brings minor changes, things like the addition of a proper volume knob or a recalibrated sensor of some sort.

That’s not the case for the 2021 Mazda3, however, as the big change for new model was the availability of a turbo.

Compared to the previous version, the Mazda3 Turbo …

Read the rest of the story

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/8/21 12:00 p.m.

Dang. Was really hoping Mazda nailed this. Sounds like it needs a trans remap, and a reduction in price by several thousand dollars. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/21 12:17 p.m.

Mazda interiors HAVE come a very long way.  I've been nothing but impressed with them.  And the infotainment control apparatus is one of the least frustrating out there.

I didn't realize the WRX was so cheap, that may be why I see so many of them nowadays.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/8/21 12:25 p.m.

As good as the Mazda 3 looks and acts, it still says "economy car" aesthetically and historically. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/8/21 12:54 p.m.

I know I'm likely in the minoriy but I think these look ridiculous. Long snout, odd shaped rear hach area and short windows. Reminds me of a high top tennis shoe, and not in a good way.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/21 1:08 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I know I'm likely in the minoriy but I think these look ridiculous. Long snout, odd shaped rear hach area and short windows. Reminds me of a high top tennis shoe, and not in a good way.

pump it up!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
11/8/21 2:27 p.m.

I like the styling but that high beltline and huuuge c-pillar make this a hard no for me were I in the market for a car right now.  The price is also kind of baffling... is this much nicer than a brand new GTI?  Lack of a manual also a turn-off.  Also the last couple of Mazda's I've rented that have this radio/etc control setup seem pretty awful to me.  

Golf GTI or some flavor of new Civic over this, please.

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/8/21 2:51 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

GTI and Civic are missing three very important things, though: A driveshaft and two halfshafts.

You have to get a Golf R or a CRV to get those in a GTI or a Civic.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
11/8/21 2:55 p.m.

This is probably not going to be a widely held opinion but I don't want AWD on my car.  Don't need the weight, the cost, added potential problem points, drag, etc.  I do not see this as a positive.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/8/21 3:44 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

This is probably not going to be a widely held opinion but I don't want AWD on my car.  Don't need the weight, the cost, added potential problem points, drag, etc.  I do not see this as a positive.

i'M with you on this. More maintenance, more potential for problems and if its so bad I need AWD to go somewhere I'm staying home.

calteg
calteg Dork
11/8/21 4:10 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Agreed. I love Mazdas, and I love hatches, but I don't love this.

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/8/21 4:39 p.m.

*shrug*

After spending the last few months driving a front wheel drive car that made approximately the same amount of torque from a similarly sized engine, "bad weather" included light rain.  Trying to accelerate uphill from a stop was infuriating. This was on Conti ECS.

The quarter turn of lock burnouts at 50mph were also interesting, but I was very happy to get the AWD working again.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/8/21 4:58 p.m.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where someone would pick this over a WRX/Civic R/GTi

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/8/21 5:31 p.m.

I liked the turbo drivetrain in the Mazda 6. It would lay rubber from a stop at will and on the highway it was fun. But sporting it was not. It reminded me more of a early 2000's supercharged Buick Regal GS than anything else; an intermediate bruiser sedan that was a great highway bomber.

The new 3 is also not very sporting. Drove a N/A car with a stick, and walked away severely disappointed. Couldn't see out of it, handling wasn't nearly as good as my 2012 model, and it was glacially slow. The interior was amazing though, so I at least give it that. I can't see anyone with sporting intentions buying this over anything else in the segment. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/8/21 6:02 p.m.

Having a Speed 3 in the house for a while and shopping this generation of hatchback (before the turbo) I can say, these cars have very bad rear visibility.  It's like they used the Camaro as an inspiration!

Someone may want one of these, but it will almost certainly not be a previous Speed 3 owner.

I guess we can wait for an electric Speed 3 land missile....

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/8/21 7:38 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I don't like them much, and we've actually owned a 3 (first year!) and currently a CX-9 and generlaly like Mazda styling. But these always look odd to me

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/8/21 9:20 p.m.
bobzilla said:
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

i'M with you on this. More maintenance, more potential for problems and if its so bad I need AWD to go somewhere I'm staying home.

Uh huh. You must not live somewhere it snows 3ft and it stays around for 3mo. Plus, some of us LOOOVE our awd in snow. The shenanigans are great, and you feel like Colin McRae. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/8/21 10:01 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
bobzilla said:

I don't like them much, and we've actually owned a 3 (first year!) and currently a CX-9 and generlaly like Mazda styling. But these always look odd to me

1985 BMW 318 M50 Rally Car / 1988 Porsche 924S / 1989 Dodge Raider SWB V6 / 2005 Toyota Sequoia Tow Pig/ 2018 VW GTI SE DD

I adore the Kodo design language, and I'm a BIG BIG BIG fan of the brand having spent 3 and a half years moving their metal.. but I REALLY DISLIKE the Hatch.. the rear styling was a move backwards IMHO.

The sedan turbo 3 is available for $31.5k and it's worth every penny.

Who are these cars for? Someone who would be shopping for a A3 sedan/hatch... and Mazda can Coax them to the brand with a similar level of refinement, and overall better styling and much better value for money.

Compare this car against the civic and the civic hatch comes in a bit cheaper.. but not by much.. and it's way down on power and FWD only..

the Civic Si sedan and the WRX are on their own.. and Mazda has made it pretty clear.. they're not targeting those buyers.

back in 2016 Mazda pushed the following numbers..

the average household income of a Mazda buyer was around $90k.. and they wanted that number to be higher with who they're targeting..

I know some folks who shop for Civic Si's with that kind of income.. but most of my car friends making that kind of money seem to shop higher up the automotive food chain..

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/8/21 11:29 p.m.

Funny this article just popped up. My wife and I test drove a turbo Mazda3 sedan last night. We both liked it quite a bit. She's looking for a 6 but we figured why not try out the 3 while we're there. I liked the heads up display and the motor made nice sounds. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
11/9/21 3:58 a.m.

In reply to Buck Futter :

Yeah, oddly, I'm not driving around in snow up to the door handles.  Doesn't really interest me much.  The number of places where that happens and stays for very long is pretty limited in the USA so I doubt it's a concern for most people on this forum.

scrapin240
scrapin240
11/9/21 6:46 a.m.

The major issues outside of the lack of visibility from inside the cabin, which is interesting since it's a hatchback, is the rear beam suspension and major lack of aftermarket scene.

My GTI and now my R are leagues ahead of this. I wish they weren't as I love Mazda. Guess the wife's CX-9 will be the lone Mazda again

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/9/21 7:11 a.m.

In reply to Buck Futter :

I live where if it snows 6" I'm snowed in until the v-plow gets there because the drifts ge 6' tall across the road abou 80' long. We see snow every year. We've had as much as 2' at a time. It's not worth going out and dealing with it to us.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/9/21 7:31 a.m.

I like the look of the car. When they first came out, I saw a soul red hatchback on the freeway and thought it looked amazing.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/9/21 7:37 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

i like individual elements on them, just not as executed.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/9/21 7:47 a.m.

Reading this was so exciting to start.....  and then so less satisfying to finish.  The autotragic may be fine for most but this car really deserves a 3 pedal option.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yZpXfUc15I2x06xFMATyntV81m7isjRPGsFxxrxE7blcVgUFKF3wquugDbWIOCvI