1 2
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
4/2/23 6:20 p.m.
feature_image

By J.A. Ackley

The 2023 BMW M2 retails for $12,100 less than an M3. Plus, it has a faster zero to 60 time by two-tenths. And, with a wheelbase 4.4 inches shorter, the M2 should be much nimbler.

That seems good on paper, but how does the all-new 2023 BMW M2 actually perform?

Thankfully, we had the opportunity to …

Read the rest of the story

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/2/23 9:43 p.m.

Do box flares make this look better?

And why does it look like it is missing the lower grill?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/2/23 10:11 p.m.

I think this is the first sub-3 series BMW that I've liked the looks of (excepting Z models).  It helps that they toned down the kidney grill a bit from their recent ridiculousness.  I actually found myself looking to see if any local dealers had an allocation and what options they'd have, and at least one does. Not sure they'd sell it at MSRP, though.

I am wondering if this will be like the 1M, and just not depreciate, especially if it ends up being one of the last manual transmission M cars.

SupraFiend
SupraFiend New Reader
4/3/23 1:47 a.m.

The Supra should clobber it on a racetrack. I can't belive a 2 series weighs over 3800lbs! This thing is supposed to be small, but weighs about the same as recent v8 mustangs.

The new car bloat continues. They already had to come up with the 1 series when the 3 got too fat, guess its time for a -1 Series?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/3/23 8:39 a.m.

Another fat heavy turd German-engineered to almost 3,900 lbs. At least this one's styling isn't quite as bad as the M3/M4.

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
4/3/23 8:47 a.m.

I really dig the look. The box flares do it for me, as does the far more restrained grille size up front. 

To me, from the side it looks kind of like a shortened R34 GTR? Am I crazy? 

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
4/3/23 9:48 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

I am wondering if this will be like the 1M, and just not depreciate, especially if it ends up being one of the last manual transmission M cars.

Not unless they also only build 700 M2s.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/3/23 9:55 a.m.

Doesn't look as hideous as the M3/4 but I still wouldn't call it a good looking car.  While it might be the best of the M bunch currently, I can't see putting that thing in my garage.  Still too ugly.

The_Lost_Miata
The_Lost_Miata
4/3/23 10:56 a.m.

You’d think something that heavy and with that many herspowers it would have brakes!

Brakes:

None (front)
None (rear)

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/3/23 11:09 a.m.

In reply to The_Lost_Miata :

No wonder we had a hard time in the corners! wink

Thank you for catching that.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/23 11:14 a.m.

I love that "less ugly" is the best we can say for BMW models these days. 

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
4/3/23 11:39 a.m.

It's way too heavy.  Also, the front lower fascia needs a rethink and that giant display can berkeley off.  Other than that, not bad. 

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
4/3/23 11:41 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

I love that "less ugly" is the best we can say for BMW models these days. 

You can also say "It doesn't suck".  :-)

automotiveflux
automotiveflux New Reader
4/4/23 11:58 a.m.

I really like these cars, they are kind of like the up-market version of the BRZ/FRS. I doubt I'll ever be able to justify the purchase of one though, like how many better cars could I buy for $70,000? Tons on the used market.

J.A. Ackley
4/5/23 10:55 a.m.

In reply to automotiveflux :

Interesting comparison. I'd say similar appeal, indeed. However, the M2 weighs about 1000 pounds more. The M2 is roomier and has about 200 more horsepower. The zero to 60 times are drastically different - about 2 seconds quicker for the M2. 

IKR
IKR New Reader
4/5/23 2:25 p.m.

I was seriously considering the previous generation M2 Competition but I have a hard time seeing a 3,900 lb vehicle as a "modern-day hot compact". Where the hell is the compact in a vehicle weighing almost 2 tons? I guess modern technology trumps the antiquated Colin  Chapman school of simplify and add lightness for more speed.........

i was at the BMW Performance Center West last week, and I thought i heard the M2 was 3400-ish, vs the 3900 of the M3.  Or was that the previous-gen M2?

J.A. Ackley
4/5/23 2:53 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

J.A. Ackley
4/5/23 2:56 p.m.

In reply to IKR :

Food for thought: The GR Corolla Morizo - without question a compact - had weight trimmed out of it, including its back seats, yet it still pushes the scales at 3186 pounds.
It is amazing how much heft today's compacts carry.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/6/23 10:31 a.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

That's why a bunch of us like the twins. 2800 lbs is still porky compared to a Miata, but still light compared to modern stuff. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
4/6/23 11:02 a.m.

So ironic that the Bangle era cars got criticized for looks - we didn't see this era of fugly BMWs coming.

I couldn't own one of these without inwardly wincing every time I saw it.  Will stick with what I have, thanks.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
4/6/23 11:51 a.m.

The Z4M coupe was the only Bangle era design that I actually liked

IKR
IKR New Reader
4/6/23 12:32 p.m.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't intend to single out the M2, more a comment on the heft of all new vehicles. I love that modern chassis's of sporty cars are stiffer and suspension/drivetrain tuning stock has greatly improved but I find some of the current curb weights shocking, definitely for the example you cited.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
4/6/23 3:30 p.m.

I also think it's ugly, but somehow I like it.

SupraFiend
SupraFiend New Reader
4/11/23 5:26 p.m.

But the GR Corolla is AWD turbo. For a vehicle with 3 diffs and a turbo, thats totally fine. Thats actually lighter then the last generation of Celica Altrac from the 90s, and that was a 2dr.

A new GTR is 3900lbs. Thats acceptable for a big 2dr coupe with a 6cyl and AWD and turbos. The new M2 has no excuse to be the same weight. It has a big motor, but its not like its an iron block even.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bnc7ZiHx298LpgcQkmy0183GnKLAWiVUKvuhWmrfvdSRocg6UKQ69qEXkoGvxNev