1 2 3
11110000 Reader
3/7/24 12:46 p.m.

The concepts of "muscle" and "performance" sure are changing with EVs.  

Charger Scat Pack - 630HP, 0-60 in 3.3sec, styling and drama

Volvo EX30 - 422HP, 0-60 in 3.4sec, almost invisible CUV

Two totally different cars, but everybody is starting to pile up at the short end of the acceleration ladder.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
3/7/24 12:52 p.m.
turboshadow said:

I do like the idea of the 2-door with the 3.0 TT sounds like a solid daily/track car if they can keep the weight down. 

Probably going to be a lot lighter than the electric version at least, and cheaper. I'm a little disappointed the gas version is being delayed compared to the electric model.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/7/24 12:58 p.m.

On the whole "Mopar is terrible at electronics" thing:

For me, who has been tasked with making decrepit, poorly designed Dodge electronics work with modern EFI, I know this all too well. But even a 10-15 year old Mopar is going to be completely different in architecture thanwhat this will be. Chrysler has been through ownership from the Germans, a global private equity firm, the Italians, and now the French in the past 20ish years alone. This is the first clean slate Stellantis performance vehicle build, and it seems like they are engaged in attempting to produce quality vehicles. Does that mean it's going to be good or terrible? I have no idea, but I've got my hopes up. 

That said, I would probably stay away from a 1st model year car and let the production bugs come to the surface. Not only is it new, it's all new with a different method of propulsion than they have ever produced on a grand scale. 

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/7/24 1:06 p.m.
yupididit said:

Oh damn. Even with developing an EV dodge still wants to enable hooligan activities. I support this through and through, its sounds over the top. 

I'm also interested in the tt inline6, might be the next 2jz! Imagine a dodge powerpack tune from the factory that brings the i6 to hellcat like power. 

I for one welcome new, hot inline-6 Chargers.

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
3/7/24 2:04 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Chrysler has been through ownership from the Germans, a global private equity firm, the Italians, and now the French in the past 20ish years alone.

I think that might be hurting your argument, rather than helping it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/7/24 3:03 p.m.

I'm kind of amused by repurposing the "SIX PACK" name from carburetor barrels to cylinder count.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/7/24 3:18 p.m.

I'm still having a hard time believing this isn't some sort of prank by Mopar. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that they're killing off the V8. I say this as a die-hard lifelong Mopar guy. I'm also scared E36 M3less that Mopar is making something Electric. I say this as a die-hard lifelong Mopar guy. I never trust Mopar Transmissions or Electronics unless they're from the original muscle car era.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/7/24 4:10 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

They're actually getting out in front of the trending socio-political climate (accent on political).

Though, I have to say, they have made a lot of money by lagging behind it for the last 20 years.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
3/7/24 7:09 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I'm still having a hard time believing this isn't some sort of prank by Mopar. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that they're killing off the V8. I say this as a die-hard lifelong Mopar guy. I'm also scared E36 M3less that Mopar is making something Electric. I say this as a die-hard lifelong Mopar guy. I never trust Mopar Transmissions or Electronics unless they're from the original muscle car era.

They're not just Mopar anymore. They've merged with powerhouse brands including Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Maserati, Citroen, Lancia, Opel, Renault... Wait a minute...

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/24 7:59 p.m.

Yeah I don't want to for a minute seem to come down against what they've been doing with the Magnum/300/Charger/Challenger for all these years. Maybe I'm misremembering, but in my recollection, it was MOPAR that brought RWD and V8 cars back to the masses. Sure, there were a few attempts, like the G8, SS, and of course the Germans did it more expensively all along, but I'm coming from the 90s when the best you could hope for was a GTP and the e-brake. I know plenty of people do annoying things with their cars, but in the balance, bless them for the good work they've done!

Seriously, without the inroads they made over the past twenty years, harkening back to the good old days, we would more likely be looking at a FWD (again) electric"Charger" 

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/7/24 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

What's old is new again, although in this case the cylinder and carb barrel count matched.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/8/24 9:05 a.m.
P3PPY said:

Yeah I don't want to for a minute seem to come down against what they've been doing with the Magnum/300/Charger/Challenger for all these years. Maybe I'm misremembering, but in my recollection, it was MOPAR that brought RWD and V8 cars back to the masses. Sure, there were a few attempts, like the G8, SS, and of course the Germans did it more expensively all along, but I'm coming from the 90s when the best you could hope for was a GTP and the e-brake. I know plenty of people do annoying things with their cars, but in the balance, bless them for the good work they've done!

Seriously, without the inroads they made over the past twenty years, harkening back to the good old days, we would more likely be looking at a FWD (again) electric"Charger" 

Agreed. Gotta appreciate Mopar for consistently taking these big chances over the years. See: minivan, k-car, Viper (multiple times), Prowler, PT Cruiser, Charger, etc etc. Some great hits, some big misses, but I'm glad they're still swinging for it. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
3/8/24 10:55 a.m.

Yes, PT Cruiser, Big Hit, Much Want, Very Sex

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/8/24 11:18 a.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

We joke about how lame they are, but they sold over a million and the car was a popular icon, for better or worse. Any non-enthusiast knows what they are. It was inarguably a hit.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
3/8/24 12:07 p.m.

If I recall right, a twin turbo I6 is largely due to emissions, but also a combination of factors like what power targets they wanted to hit; I bet Stallantis also wants a much smaller engine family now, too.

I really like how this coupe is looking, but I agree the rear quarter and trunk seem stodgy in comparison to the floating front grill. And CCS charging, at this time? Maybe they're going to enter some kind of deal with VW group and Kia/Hyundai to keep CCS around in the US.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3wc5cvoJgjYs35Z4RJIyWowx1sBZhtfWdZ2kchO1RgQgnb1bDRqVXQV0IYHjhICN