1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/30/24 11:25 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Why can't they compete at the top group?  Spread out too much, maybe?  So adding a F1 team is a good idea to spread even thinner?  

The more I think about it, Mike is trying to just get a piece of the F1 pie with no real intention of being competitive. 

BTW, their last 500 win was 2017, their last overall championship was 2012. In a mostly spec series that hasn't changed a a very long time. So there are little indicators that Mike would bring anything but a money drag to F1. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/30/24 11:27 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
alfadriver said:

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Haas was doing well in nascar when they went f1. So their recent history was good as far as real commitment. Mike- not so much. Can't really expect anything but not making the field at 107% right now. And no clear sign that he'll actually commit technical anything to do it. 

Again, if it were Penske or Ganassi, at least they have history of recent technical competence in a series where the cars are a decade old. Mike can't even bother to find the right resources to win. 

You're not wrong about Andretti's recent performance. But that's not why they've been excluded, is it?

Maybe it is an indicator that they only plan to get some of the money without really adding anything to F1. The other owners may have a point. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/30/24 12:22 p.m.

Andretti have every right, and all the ability to be in F1. I would argue that after Ferrari, Porsche, and probably McLaren, the Andretti name still holds more goodwill and name recognition than just about any other in Motorsport. As far as being spread to thin, I don't see that as an issue for F1. The reality of an F1 team would be they would need an overall team boss. Andy would be the umbrella, organization, face, and name for the public, sponsors, partners. He is obviously outstanding at raising money and I believe would do at least as well as any other team that has entered in the last 30 to 40 years. And ignoring GM/Cadillac as a potential global partner while pursuing other non-automotive money interests around the globe is just shortsighted by F1.  Unfortunately, F1 is adopting a strategy all to prevalent in the corporate world over the last few decades, prioritizing short term return and gain at the risk of long-term development. For all its problems, Indy Car is now fighting the issue of more teams wanting to run full-time entries than they can fit in the pits.  F1 on the other hand, even after the budget cap, is stuck at 20. I don't care what people say about TV viewership and that's enough cars on track, I completely disagree. If you don't maintain an in person fanbase long-term, you will suffer and die. 20 cars spread out around a 3 to 4 mile track is pathetic.  I have been an F1 fan my whole conscious life, and right now I'm just sick of it. One period of team / driver dominance after another vs any real competition.  

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/30/24 12:22 p.m.

Andretti have every right, and all the ability to be in F1. I would argue that after Ferrari, Porsche, and probably McLaren, the Andretti name still holds more goodwill and name recognition than just about any other in Motorsport. As far as being spread to thin, I don't see that as an issue for F1. The reality of an F1 team would be they would need an overall team boss. Andy would be the umbrella, organization, face, and name for the public, sponsors, partners. He is obviously outstanding at raising money and I believe would do at least as well as any other team that has entered in the last 30 to 40 years. And ignoring GM/Cadillac as a potential global partner while pursuing other non-automotive money interests around the globe is just shortsighted by F1.  Unfortunately, F1 is adopting a strategy all to prevalent in the corporate world over the last few decades, prioritizing short term return and gain at the risk of long-term development. For all its problems, Indy Car is now fighting the issue of more teams wanting to run full-time entries than they can fit in the pits.  F1 on the other hand, even after the budget cap, is stuck at 20. I don't care what people say about TV viewership and that's enough cars on track, I completely disagree. If you don't maintain an in person fanbase long-term, you will suffer and die. 20 cars spread out around a 3 to 4 mile track is pathetic.  I have been an F1 fan my whole conscious life, and right now I'm just sick of it. One period of team / driver dominance after another vs any real competition.  

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
4/30/24 12:47 p.m.

Wally Dallenbach 1936 - 2024  big influence on CART, Champcar, and Indycar

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/30/24 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

If we were pre Concorde, sure. Any garagista can come. But now f1 wants to make sure team 11 isn't leeching on everyone else. F1 is like the sports in the US who makes sure the new teams won't be leeching. 

Andretti doesn't have the "right" because of how the "rights" of F1 are written. 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
5/3/24 12:15 p.m.

Roger Penske isn't getting any younger.  Conventional Wisdom seems to be that when he tips over the estate will sell Indycar to NASCAR.  I had a wacky thought that if FOM bars the door to Andretti it might be kinda fun to have Andretti buy Indycar and then develop it into a viable competitor to F1.  

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
5/3/24 1:40 p.m.

Re the push-to-pass violation. Chevrolet has hired an independent law firm to investigate whether General Motors employees were involved.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chevrolet-denies-participation-team-penskes-152152472.html 

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
5/3/24 1:40 p.m.
stroker said:

Conventional Wisdom seems to be that when he tips over the estate will sell Indycar to NASCAR. 

If you're willing to concede that IndyCar is never going to overtake NASCAR in America (and you don't need to be), then this could be a really good thing for IndyCar. Between the tracks NASCAR owns and the ability to run as a companion series to Cup or Xfinity events, the IndyCar schedule (both track selection and cadence) would be improved massively. At least from the outside, it appears as though NASCAR ownership has been really good for GrandAm, so IMO they've earned some credibility there as well. 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
5/3/24 1:56 p.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

I will concede that compared to the SCCA, NASCAR has their act together, generally.  However, IMHO NASCAR leans too far into the "entertainment" spectrum at the expense of "sport".  I'll concede sports car racing seems to have benefited from consolidation, I'd hate to see open wheel racing relegated to second-class status in the US.  

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/7/24 8:38 a.m.

Pourchaire completes first oval test at WWTR It will be interesting how this unfolds, because if K Mags gets a race ban,  Haas would likely pursue Pourchaire for his services, which could potentially line himself up for next year, which he would pick F1 10/10 times even if he is fighting in the back. Because of that I think they should have been patient with Malikus, he is only 22 years old, he wasn't playing tennis on a motorcycle like Montoya, on the MP Podcast he didn't throw anyone under the bus. Real shame for him.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/24 9:37 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

Pourchaire completes first oval test at WWTR It will be interesting how this unfolds, because if K Mags gets a race ban,  Haas would likely pursue Pourchaire for his services, which could potentially line himself up for next year, which he would pick F1 10/10 times even if he is fighting in the back. Because of that I think they should have been patient with Malikus, he is only 22 years old, he wasn't playing tennis on a motorcycle like Montoya, on the MP Podcast he didn't throw anyone under the bus. Real shame for him.

It does suck for Dave, but I get it. McLaren simply doesn't know when he'll be available, and having that third car be in a constant state of flux is not good for the team overall. If Theo does end up being unavailable for May, there are always guys out there. RHR is a steady hand.

I bet they regret letting FRO walk away, though.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/8/24 10:11 a.m.

INTERVIEW: Roger Penske addresses the push-to-pass scandal Some tough penalties for Penske, I guess you have to set the standard.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
5/8/24 10:27 a.m.

Marshall going right at him...good for him.  If he didn't ask the hard questions, somebody would gripe.  

I did think the part about a cultural issue at Team Penske (IMSA penalty and Logano's glove) was funny.  They are completely different organizations operating out of the same building.  Those 2 issues come down to pushing the edges of legality (raise the car so it doesn't drag and block that last bit of air so you can cut a bit more drag). 

The Indycar thing was just an oversight and misunderstanding of the rules.  I bet if Newgarden said in the debrief "man, it was so great the P2P was working", Cindric and Co. would have raised an eyebrow and dug into it.  

5/10/24 1:35 p.m.
trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/20/24 8:11 a.m.

Penske 1,2,3, and I can only imagine that someone is getting fired in the Rahal camp for screwing up the ride height and not tightening the rear tire.  I felt bad for Siegel I thought Ericsson had a problem which would have gotten him, because he was really off the pace. Onto the race, I probably make some predictions after carb day. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
5/20/24 10:16 a.m.

I suspect that unless Penske has problems on all three cars, one of them will win it.  Those cars looked much more stable than any other car yesterday.  Larsen's was the only one that was close to being as stable.  He has really impressed me so far.

I'll go ahead and make my pick now...  Scott McLaughlin.  Penske, the Yellow Submarine paint job with Rick Mears coaching him, AND car number three?!?  Might as well put his name on the Borg-Warner now.

5/20/24 10:52 a.m.

The Penskes sure seem to have the setup locked down this year. They all looked so stable while running 1 mph faster than anyone else. Rossi in fourth clearly had his car trimmed out to the absolute limit and you could tell how twitchy it was. Ballsy run by him to get it up that high.

A bit odd to see the Ganassi cars so far down the order when they have been very strong the last couple of years at Indy, and Palou in particular is just plain good everywhere. I wonder if that's a Honda thing?

Agreed on Scotty Mac. He seems to be going from strength to strength.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/24 11:17 a.m.

One of my suppliers is sponsoring a VIP booth at the Laguna Seca event. I've never  been to an Indycar event, so it should be interesting.  Count me in for about half an hour of shmoozing and enjoying the refreshments followed by working my way around the track for every available angle. Love that place.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/29/24 8:42 a.m.

Indy 500 I thought was a great race. I was surprised that Scotty and Power (Crashed) drifted back, Scott Dixon didn't get a penalty, and Kirkwood got a penalty. I imagine that Kirkwood would have been fighting with the top 4 for the lead if he didn't get that costly penalty.  Newgarden pulled off a heck of a pass. On to Detriot.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/2/24 4:00 p.m.

What the hell was that crap.........I've seen better driver etiquette at rental kart parks.

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/24 4:06 p.m.

Ugly

johndej
johndej UltraDork
6/2/24 4:37 p.m.

Indycar goes full Indycar. To be fair the imsa race had about the same number of incidents. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/2/24 4:41 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

I've seen fewer hip checks at hockey games.

Maybe we should sub Indy cars for F1 at Monaco?? LOL

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/24 5:00 p.m.

i was texting friends after one corner into the race :  "Detroit is NOT Monaco."

OBTW, St Pete isn't Monaco either.   Long Beach is borderline IMHO.

Obviously street courses are not to my liking.  wink

Give me grass on both sides, or at least runoff areas.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GxNT1Fshg1pvkFfwICQEwuLI8KL0slsEnfVPHv3dVYHeZMbMm1zt94vreWlgJBgO