1 ... 4 5 6 7
RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/21/24 11:16 a.m.
racerfink said:

So the only way to watch today's race is to stream it?  Hopefully the switch means I can watch all the races next year...

I came here to ask about that.

I'm not willing to pay to watch this (other than having commercials)...no work-around?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/21/24 11:28 a.m.

I'm going to go see if it's on Canadian TV now.  I'm not hopeful.

Edit:  Holy E36 M3, it's on TSN.  I'm almost shocked.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
7/21/24 12:19 p.m.

Don't see it on YouTube TV so watching formula e and jet ski racing instead. 

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
7/21/24 4:12 p.m.

It was a an entertaining race, as most street races are. Glad to see Herta finally have a complete enough race to win, same with Kirkwood finishing 2nd. Credit also goes to Ganassi for coming back from a terrible qualifying as a whole to finish 3rd through 5th.

Strange to see things fall apart for Penske, all in one lap!

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/8/24 11:17 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/8/24 11:27 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

Canapino splits with Juncos Hollinger Racing Not a huge shock

Honestly, good riddance to him and his toxic fanbase.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/13/24 2:48 p.m.

Malukas signs multi-year deal with Foyt I felt this was a misdirect because I thought for sure he was signing with MSR. However they still need a paid driver so I am assuming that sting ray stays and Santino is off to Nascar. Rossi to MSR, lots of other drivers available for the other seats, but the charter BS I am sure is going to lesson the opportunties for some.

8/13/24 3:00 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

Malukas signs multi-year deal with Foyt I felt this was a misdirect because I thought for sure he was signing with MSR. However they still need a paid driver so I am assuming that sting ray stays and Santino is off to Nascar. Rossi to MSR, lots of other drivers available for the other seats, but the charter BS I am sure is going to lesson the opportunties for some.

Doesn't Little Dave bring some cash, too? It might be enough to offset the loss of Sting Ray. As much as I don't care for Santucci, there's no denying the talent. I'm sure AJ wants to hang on to him if he can.

Agreed that MSR now seems like the most likely landing spot for Rossi. I really thought he'd end up with Prema, but it seems he doesn't want to be part of a from-scratch operation at this point in his career. That's understandable.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
8/14/24 7:16 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

I think it's been over 20 years since Foyt had a car finish Top 10 in points. Santino is 10th right now. I know money talks but it would be pretty wild to let him go in favor of Sting Ray who's last in points among drivers who have run every race. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/14/24 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :'

MP said that Malikus isn't bringing money, I read that Penske is supposed to be the technical alliance with AJ racing and that Malikus is being groomed to take over for Power (We will see).

In reply to CrashDummy :

Santino has really done well to bring them good finishes but he is also a PT type driver that is aggressive and no apologies for it. That style can be expensive and he isn't respected in the paddock. Hybrid era with lack of parts would hurt his stock.  I would like him to stay but it would be hard to imagine that any other team wants him. Maybe Prema might be a good spot for him? however his exit F2 was controversial. Rahal might be another spot, but I think Rinus would probably be a better choice. Otherwise I can see him in Nascar and maybe moonlight at the indy 500.  

The Charter system could also effect the teams, as there will not be any 4 car teams, so CGR car is probably going to a technical alliance team. I wonder if the one off indy teams will be around anymore like DRR.

metallitubby
metallitubby New Reader
8/14/24 9:01 a.m.

Most of the articles are mentioning that Dave's car is a paying seat, but I wouldn't put it past HMD to be backing the second car (14 or 41) as part of the deal. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/18/24 1:37 p.m.

So, Gateway.  Power, Rossi or Newgarden mostly at fault?  Or, just one of those racing deals?

Power went, then slowed as Rossi went.  Enough blame to go around, I'd say.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
8/18/24 2:28 p.m.

It automatically records - starts on lap 26 due to NASCAR overlap?  Then ends before the end.   

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
8/18/24 3:38 p.m.

It's a racing incident, but you can certainly point the finger at Newgarden for the classic stack-up crash. On the in-car you can hear Newgarden lift for a second instead of taking off.

8/18/24 3:51 p.m.
RacerBoy75 said:

It's a racing incident, but you can certainly point the finger at Newgarden for the classic stack-up crash. On the in-car you can hear Newgarden lift for a second instead of taking off.

I thought the data showed that he was steady on the throttle the whole time. I'll go with racing incident, but it did seem like Rossi got a bit overeager. Power certainly didn't see it that way, though. Video is NSFW for language:

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/18/24 5:14 p.m.

I'd bet, when Power had to lift, he clenched and hoped nobody would hit him.  A few laps to go, you gotta make progress when you can, and the restart is it.  

Rossi was in position to have a really good finish, especially considering his starting position, and went as soon as he could.  

Unfortunate for the lot of them.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/19/24 8:10 a.m.

Karma for WP, if he wouldn't have chopped Davie it would have likely been a shoot out between the both of them for the win. Instead he chopped him and caused a yellow. The fact WP yelled at Davie for the incident is puzzling to me. Not a expert in restarts but it appeared that Newgarden was crawling and didn't time up the throttle with the green and got tapped by Scotty and from there it was just a accordion with Rossi punting WP. I am still wondering if the one lane starts is a good idea or if they should just let them fan out during when the green waives.

8/19/24 8:58 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

The fact WP yelled at Davie for the incident is puzzling to me. 

I mean... it's Will Power. Of course he did. laugh

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/19/24 9:30 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
I thought the data showed that he was steady on the throttle the whole time.

I've seen conflicting information on it.  I've seen people said his average speed through the corners was maintained, but that doesn't mean he didn't lift.  It's clear that wether he lifted or not, he caused the issue.  Indy car have been throwing penalties for getting out of line on restarts this year, so I hold Indycar's poorly written rules as much to blame.

Just found this: 

Article 7.7.1.3 states that after the pace car turns off its lights, “The leader is required to maintain the pace lap speed until reaching the restart zone designated by INDYCAR when the leader shall accelerate smoothly back to racing speed and the Green condition will then be declared.”.  No way he did that.  I'm holding Newgarden in clear breach of sportsmanship, and iffy on the rule as written.  One thing's clear, his thin veneer of wholesome all American boy is slipping.  The push to pass fiasco, him throwing his toys out the pram when Scotty Mac beat him last year so he broke up the bus bros, this incident, and his string of half apologies are showing he's just an shiny happy person(*).  Also, while he's already effectively out of the title hunt, Power isn't, or wasn't.  He was on for a top five finish, probably 3rd, and that would have put him 2nd in the championship with a chance of winning.  Now he's 4th with an only theoretical chance of winning.  I hope, but doubt, Roger tore him a new one.  He's not yet reached Santucci levels of scum, but he's getting there.  I now have two drivers to hate on as heels, Santucci and Newgarden.  Now, in Santucci's case he has one more thing going for him, he wears his shiny happy personry loud and proud, and thus makes himself a delightful comedic idiot.  Newgarden is just coming off as an aloof A-hole.

I've seen a lot of complaint from people that Roger owning the team, the 500, and the series is a conflict of interests and that the Penske guys have a different rule set to play by as a result.  I DON'T BELIEVE THAT FOR A SECOND.  Don't forget people didn't cry foul when Tony George owned Indy and the IRL series, as well as Vision Racing or his (step)son being and owning Ed Carpenter racing.  I've got no problem with joint ownership, but while it was certainly for the best when the George family sold him the whole enchilada, but they need to sort out some of the rules and the abysmal lack of promotion.  

(*) Being a selfish shiny happy person is an absolute necessity to be a top racing driver, you have to be driven to win at all costs, have complete self belief etc.  But some take the shiny happy person persona too far.

8/19/24 9:47 a.m.

Agreed that Newgarden has really tarnished his image this year. Maybe this was always him, and he's finally revealed his true self. Maybe winning a couple of 500s has made him more arrogant. I don't know, but I don't care for him anymore, and I used to be a fan.

As for the conflict of interest thing, there are a few differences to when Tony George owned the series. The biggest one being that Ed's team didn't dominate the championship and the 500 year after year. Now, I tend to agree that Roger has too much integrity to be knowingly putting his finger on the scale for his own team. If nothing else, it's bad for the long-term health of the series. But, the perception exists:

Herta confirmed that there remains a contingent of the IndyCar paddock that believe there are inequities in how the races are officiated. This, despite the fact that earlier this year, IndyCar disqualified Newgarden from his victory in the season-opening Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg and also DQ’d third-place finisher Scott McLaughlin and penalized Will Power for illegally manipulating the push to pass system in the race.

“It’s a growing feeling in the paddock,” Bryan Herta continued. “Maybe I’m the first one to say that, but it’s what people feel.

Bryan is known as a pretty level-headed guy. If he's saying it, he's not the only one who feels that way. Penske needs to nip this in the bud right now.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/19/24 10:12 a.m.
RacerBoy75 said:

You mean when Scotty hit his gearbox?

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/19/24 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

It's a re-start ZONE.  Which means he can start anywhere in that zone.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/19/24 11:03 a.m.

This happens in all race series that there is no passing before the flag and the leader can go slow into the restart area.

It's not usually the sole fault of the leader, but anybody who backs off, even a little causes and accordion effect that just grows as the field is so condensed.

Even if he lifted a tiny bit just to maintain his speed (totally acceptable and fine), the car behind reacts to the change in engine note and lifts more.  The car behind that person lifts even more.  The cars near the back have no idea that is happening and start accelerating...  straight to the scene of the accident.

I know that even in my non highly strung out racecar, it is VERY difficult to maintain an exact speed without some variance.  This variance causes some lift and coast periods just to maintain a constant speed. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/19/24 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Robin Miller in his career as a journalist had called out some major legends for cheating, AJ Foyt Jr. being the most legendary.  AJ is still a legend and could be on a Wheeties box today (if that was still a thing). If JoNew left indycar and went to Nascar they would be marketing the heck out of him, and he would figuratively be on the wheeties box. Indycar needs JoNew more then he needs them, I don't think his record is tarnished and although there are critics of him there were also that went to bat for him.

Personally I think there has been a clear biased for Penske and CGR dating back to the IRL and Champcar days. They are the 2 teams that have basically dominated indycar. The book "Unfair Advantage" just proves that good teams are far better at leveraging the rules then others (even when cheating). I think  remember when Paul Tracy won the Indy 500 2002? 50% Penske and 50% Tony George ego changed the record books. I am more disappointed in Penske marketing, while I don't expect the results to be like Nascar or F1, they certainly should not be below IMSA and FE in Social media and views.

In a ideal world Liberty or Nascar would buyout Penske, the charter rules would be scrapped (change the rules to increase more teams), and add new manufacturer for engines, chassis, and tires.

8/19/24 12:57 p.m.

MSR officially switches technical partners from Andretti to Ganassi.

The multi-year arrangement will see the team co-owned by Mike Shank and Jim Meyer receive full technical support the reigning Honda-powered IndyCar champions who will supply complete engineering staffs for the Nos. 60 and 66 Hondas, setup information for both cars, dampers, data from CGR’s drivers, and have MSR’s drivers participate in group debriefs with six-time champion Scott Dixon, two-time champion and current championship leader Alex Palou, and the rest of CGR’s roster.

I really hope Rossi ends up in the #66.

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hU1XpNsqVIR5ztm47tp3Ok6MuQA2wyno5cQBoN6Cv2jshEdoNdNm2DM79h2MHWt4