1 2
laz
laz New Reader
1/2/09 2:05 a.m.

Here's a collection of the random stuff we caught on video: http://vimeo.com/2678089

More details about my team's experience in our blog http://pandamoniumracing.blogspot.com/ Summary: electrical problems are no fun.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
1/2/09 6:28 a.m.

I wish more teams made videos.

That looks like a blast.

jealous

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/2/09 8:20 a.m.

Well done! The driver commentary is hilarious, and by hilarious, I mean sounds exactly like me.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/2/09 8:29 a.m.

Wait, you have a nice paint job! That isn't in the spirit....

Seriously, that tape was fun to watch, although the possibility of ignorance-induced carnage must be somewhat nerve-racking.

Thanks!

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
1/2/09 10:25 a.m.

Great in car video. That's the clearest in car I've seen. What setup are you using?

njansenv
njansenv New Reader
1/2/09 10:40 a.m.

Brilliant Video!

laz
laz New Reader
1/2/09 12:00 p.m.
nickel_dime wrote: Great in car video. That's the clearest in car I've seen. What setup are you using?

It's an Aiptek A-HD (cheap $130 solid state HD cam) with a coupla tweaks. More details at http://raulmazda.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-video-setup.html

laz
laz New Reader
1/2/09 12:08 p.m.
kreb wrote: Wait, you have a nice paint job! That isn't in the spirit....

Yeah, the masking tape and rattle can paint job turned out nicer than we had hoped (appliance enamel is great stuff). The judges gave us a ridiculously hard time until we opened the hood, then our grease smeared motor made it all okay. The bottle of whiskey didn't hurt either

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/2/09 12:24 p.m.

What a great video. The event looks like a blast and, to echo nickel_dime, the quality of the video itself is fantastic too!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/2/09 3:45 p.m.

LMAO Awesome! I'm gonna get a camera like yours!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/2/09 6:50 p.m.

Man, that was great! 'Rob beat car.' The Shark clipping the tire wall was the highlight.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
1/2/09 11:24 p.m.

Just watched that from the link on Jalopnik. Great footage!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/09 9:24 a.m.

dammit! i thought nobody had Lemons'd a corvair yet.

and that was a black-plate CA car too. it may have been a mess inside, but knowing that rust-free sheetmetal got sodomized makes me a sad panda.

ww
ww Dork
1/3/09 3:23 p.m.

I wondered who knocked that one out. It was much more spectacular than I originally assumed!

Jensenman wrote: Man, that was great! 'Rob beat car.' The Shark clipping the tire wall was the highlight.
Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/3/09 7:08 p.m.

That Corvair looked like a handful, they lost it several times...once right in front of me coming down the corkscrew!

Bryce

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/09 7:24 p.m.
Nashco wrote: That Corvair looked like a handful, they lost it several times...once right in front of me coming down the corkscrew! Bryce

it was poorly driven, that's for sure....

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Reader
1/3/09 8:27 p.m.

Great video! Thanks for sharing. I've got to get to Lemons race this year.

Bruce

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
1/4/09 3:08 a.m.

Laz did you ever figure out the issue?

I had the same problem on a 325e. It was the Ox sensor, When the car would get hot it start missing then stall.We unplugged it and the car was fine.

But it could also be the crank sensor. On the front of the crank on a IS car on the flywheel if its a ETA car.

laz
laz New Reader
1/4/09 4:26 a.m.
bam2002 wrote: Laz did you ever figure out the issue? I had the same problem on a 325e. It was the Ox sensor, When the car would get hot it start missing then stall.We unplugged it and the car was fine. But it could also be the crank sensor. On the front of the crank on a IS car on the flywheel if its a ETA car.

Tried the unplugged o2 sensor and it didn't help. Still haven't sorted it out, and the problem was flaky enough that we didn't see it in 3.5 days at the track... but come race day it decided to make itself known. The CEL would illuminate, but it would never record a code on the reader. Stupid computer. The car would shut off randomly, no real pattern other than it was fine for about an hour or so when completely cold (sitting overnight). When it died, the cluster still had power, and the tach would slowly rev down (so at least I know the coil was still working). Sometimes it'd restart after dying, other times it wouldn't.

I hate electrical problems.

I'll probably just start swapping components and hope it goes away. I've got a spare ECU, and crankshaft pos sensor is a good call for something to swap.

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
1/6/09 3:06 p.m.

We actually mounted Two ECU s in the car, so If there were any issues the driver could reach over and swap to the 2nd ECU.. The car would have to be not running. But if it was stalled out or not starting it be easy to do. We also replaced the Crank Position sensor, it was only a $40 part to be safe. Our downfall was the small hose that went to the heater core blew. We know for next time to replace all the hoses.

B

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/6/09 4:17 p.m.
Our downfall was not re-routing the hose to bypass the heater core and removing an unnecessary 5-10 pounds at the same time.

Fixed. (if it was cold and you actually needed a heater, sorry for being a jackass )

EDIT: Just saw that it was the "arsefreezapalooza" event. Reading comprehension skills pwn me.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/6/09 5:14 p.m.
bam2002 wrote: We actually mounted Two ECU s in the car, so If there were any issues the driver could reach over and swap to the 2nd ECU.. The car would have to be not running. But if it was stalled out or not starting it be easy to do. We also replaced the Crank Position sensor, it was only a $40 part to be safe. Our downfall was the small hose that went to the heater core blew. We know for next time to replace all the hoses. B

New $40 parts "to be safe" and all new hoses in LEMONS?!?!? This mentality is taking the fun out of LeMons, IMO. Sure, if you want to minimize lost seat time, bring some spares...but putting them on to protect your investment? Lame!

Bryce

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
1/6/09 6:31 p.m.

What kind of camera did you guys use? Cause it was clear as a bell.

laz
laz New Reader
1/6/09 6:34 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: What kind of camera did you guys use? Cause it was clear as a bell.

Scroll up, it's in an earlier comment :)

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
1/6/09 7:12 p.m.

I wanted to make sure that ALL my team got to drive. So if I had to spend a bit to make the car dependable I was going to do it. I got 2 cars for $500 so i sold parts off the spare to afford some of the new parts.

Like all the other teams we put quite a bit of time into the car and I wanted to make sure that every one felt like it was worth it. Hence making the car dependable.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E1cgfQTdzir8lSe4RnJz2mBNxmZwHQcHebzUe0hw6doOsDwq9cTnqiR66u6citps