1 2 3 4
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/30/20 5:03 p.m.

Well I have 5 cars (don't know how to edit the subject line) leaving the nest. I would like to replace them with one. 

Cars that are leaving:

Total expectation of incoming cash $94,000. 

Budget for new car $15,000. Flexible. 

Purchase of new car: 1 week timeframe. Looking all over US. 

Requirements of car:

• Comfortable for 4 for long roadtrips
  • Bladderbusting 500-600Mile tank range preferred
  • 6MT desired
  • MPG 27+ is good enough
  • HAS to be reliable enough, at the purchase price of $15k, to last next 60 months. 
  • No minivans _did 9 year Mazda5 penalty box
  • 4 doors

I need the GRM community to help, to know if you have experience driving these, any pitfalls, or any thoughts:

1. 2013-2017 Honda Accord 6MT. I prefer the updated lights of the 16/17 model, and the Red color, but that seems to push it out of budget a bit. I should have bought one of these when I got my then 16 WRX, but I didn't so live and learn . The accords have been very difficult to find. I don't want black. That only leaves Gray for the 13-15 years. White/red are the later years. I have found a few dealers willig to ship, as I don't want to do a drive and fly during COVID
  2. Honda Fit 6MT (I really like them. ). Wife doesn't want one. However, probably won't be good for roadtrips 10-12 hours at a time. 
  3. Lexus GS350 (2013+). Love them with the Rojo interior, but don't know if I really want an another automatic. 
  4. Lexus RX350 (13-15 only)-this is an outlier.  Only because wife really likes to soft off road and we do some camping. But I don't really feel them. 
  5. Toyota Rav4-It is on the list, but at 6inch ground clearance, I don't think it fits the bill. Feel like don't get the 6MT sedan driving, and don't get the offroad ground clearance either.
  6. Civic Si Sedan- I looked at them, but they seem to be higher priced than the Accord Sports. 

One of the things, we do some overlanding/camping/off the grid hiking. With the FJ leaving, we won't have that. We were initially leaning towards pulling the trigger on a RX350, has 7.4inch ground clearance and would be nice for some yearly snow trips with the AWD. 

The more I think about it, more we are leaning towards the sedans, and not do the CUV. Just rent a 4runner for our camping trips. 

Last outlier. Neighbor has a 2018 Chevy Volt, 28k miles, he may let go for cheap. I am talking $12,000. I will know by end of  the day. Anybody know long term, how they are?  

I know this thread is scatterbrained like most of the "what should I buy thread." But I am throwing it out there, more as notes for me, and help from informed friends. 

*Don't want Subaru

*Don't want Mazda

Been there done that. No more 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/30/20 5:08 p.m.

That Viper in the classifieds

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/30/20 5:09 p.m.

Find the nicest LS430 you can and go forever? You could drive it to the moon and have a comfy butt 

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/30/20 5:13 p.m.

The Lexus you mentioned sounds like a good option.  Maybe also look into a Mazda6 with the 6mt

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/d/corona-2016-mazda-mazda6-sport-mt/7135531106.html

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/30/20 5:15 p.m.

Previous Fit owner here, I loved the car but it was not a great road tripper, seats lack adjustability and they are kind of loud/coarse for sustained highway runs. I can also guarantee you will not see a 500-600 mile tank range; I commuted 90 miles a day in mine for six months, all freeway, and my record was in the ~350 range.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
6/30/20 5:16 p.m.

I feel like a Golf Alltrack fits all of the criteria aside from the budget.  They're not too far above 15k though.

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/30/20 5:23 p.m.

What are you hoping to get for the FJ? Seems like a very hot market for them these days.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/30/20 5:23 p.m.

Volts are great cars.  I miss ours (totalled in an accident)

eastpark
eastpark Reader
6/30/20 5:25 p.m.

I have a 2018 Volt, and it's outstanding for the purpose that I have: commuting. IMHO, it's OK for long distance driving, but just OK. 
I think your requirement for long distance travelling for 4 will screen out the Volt. I'd go Lexus as well. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/30/20 5:26 p.m.

IS250?

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/30/20 5:31 p.m.

Yeah I don't think you want a Fit for that use case. I love ours, but it's not the best road trip machine. What's the deal with the FJ?

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
6/30/20 6:04 p.m.

Could a subaru be a fit somewhere? I dont know you from adam but for some reason a wagon with ground clearance seems like a fit here.

Lexus is a great call. Not going to get NEAR 27mpg on the RX but reliability and soft offloading a plus.

Volvo wagon? If it's good enough for Randy Pobst.......

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/20 6:12 p.m.

500-600 mile range on a tank is the hard part of this. 

My Merc is in the mid  to upper 400 miles. Not sure if you go to a smaller motor or a bluetech if you can get that range. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/30/20 6:14 p.m.
yupididit said:

It won't meet CA emissions. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/30/20 6:15 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Find the nicest LS430 you can and go forever? You could drive it to the moon and have a comfy butt 

Interesting you mentioned that. I sold my black cherry LS430 years back. Loved that car.  You can see my black cherry here and the current one for sale that I am test driving tonight

Currently there is LS430 Green for sale. 68K miles. 12K asking price. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/30/20 6:16 p.m.
dean1484 said:

500-600 mile range on a tank is the hard part of this. 

My Merc is in the mid  to upper 400 miles. Not sure if you go to a smaller motor or a bluetech if you can get that range. 

That isn't a deal killer, but my TSX Wagon, and Honda Accord Sedans hit the 600 mark easily. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/30/20 6:17 p.m.

What are your thoughts on 8th Gen Civic Si. 
i read about some clutch issues and 3rd gear grind. 

Local one popped up. 1 owner. 70K miles. Asking $11,000.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/30/20 6:18 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Mndsm said:

Interesting you mentioned that. I sold my black cherry LS430 years back. Loved that car. 

Currently there is LS430 Green for sale. 68K miles. 12K asking price. 

i cant think of a better road burner without speaking german with stupid repair bills. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
6/30/20 6:20 p.m.

How about the newest Lexus Hybrid Sedan you can afford. Lexus GS Hybrid might be the sweet spot. 

With $15k to spend can the answer be two $7.5k cars?  Three $5k cars?

That's probably what I would answer with. 

On your list, the Accord 6mt is probably a great choice! As for the fly and drive, would you consider a drive and drive with a one way rental car? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/30/20 6:30 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

How about the newest Lexus Hybrid Sedan you can afford. Lexus GS Hybrid might be the sweet spot. 

With $15k to spend can the answer be two $7.5k cars?  Three $5k cars?

That's probably what I would answer with. 

On your list, the Accord 6mt is probably a great choice! As for the fly and drive, would you consider a drive and drive with a one way rental car? 

We had 9 cars. I got down to 7, then I ballooned up to 10. So at the end of July, with these 5 going, I will still have 5 here. 

So I just want to add a "DD/Roadtrip/Kid hauler" and not buy 3 5K cars  devil

We had a CT200h, which was terrible. With the Prius and Camry Hybrids all seem to be losing battery at 100K, I rather not get into that. Plus the CT was soulless as can be. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
6/30/20 6:34 p.m.

My recent $15k spend was a 2019 Dodge Caravan GT. I know you say you don't want one but I still feel it was a great value. 

We considered a Ford Flex and MKT. Those are good at Hyw cruising but also can have awd that might lend to your soft-roading. Big power from the eco boost but poor mpg. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/30/20 6:36 p.m.
red_stapler said:

I feel like a Golf Alltrack fits all of the criteria aside from the budget.  They're not too far above 15k though.

This is what I came here to say, though how easy is it to find with a M/T?

Even a regular Golf Sportwagen would probably fit your description, and get better MPGs than the Alltrack. For $15k you can probably find one very late-model with low miles and remaining warranty (especially if you find an '18 model with the big 6/72 factory warranty before they went back to the lesser warranty....

Everything on your list checks the boxes for reliability and quality, but I have no presonal experience owning any of them. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/30/20 6:39 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
yupididit said:

It won't meet CA emissions. 

Darnit.

Well my recommendation....2015ish TDI Passat because your fuel requirements. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/30/20 6:41 p.m.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/louisville-2007-vw-passat-4motion-blue/7143357439.html

I'd spring for an extended warranty but I'm currently taking mine to Florida and it cruises on the interstate at any speed you want.  AWD is unstoppable in any weather I've encountered.   Very comfortable for 4 (big 2nd row legroom).

I plan to keep mine indefinitely and I've already owned it since 2012 (longer than any other car in my life).

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/30/20 6:50 p.m.

Manual swap the TSX wagon. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DauZjG5IfkGmIxcmeFHtxFSpqDA6K26OCWvfDTSQYeqPW89zSaQR9EOl3AZTfJ3g