6/30/20 11:12 p.m.
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) said:

I haven't seen that you didn't want any of these:

camaro

chevy SS

mustang

challenger

ctsV

I looked at the CTS-V that is for sale on the forum. Its a great car, but trans issues, which I don't want to deal with. 

I should have mentioned, I would like a 4 door, otherwise all your other options would be fantastic :)

CJ (He's Just an FS)
CJ (He's Just an FS) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/30/20 11:44 p.m.

Not sure how it would play in Santa Barbara, but a 2015 Audi A3 TDI dieselgate car would be in your price range.  I spent a small amount of time in one and it was quiet and comfortable - a nice place to be, particularly if you aren't in a huge hurry. 

Supposed to get 30ish around town and 40ish on the highway.  With a 13 gal tank, your highway range is about 520 miles.

octavious
octavious Dork
7/1/20 9:18 a.m.

Didn't they make a LS430 (or maybe 460)  F-sport? I'm not sure what they go for but if it was in your price bracket I'd suggest one of those. A buddy of mine has one, and I've never ridden or driven it, but it looks super clean and mean in black. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/20 9:23 a.m.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/1/20 10:41 a.m.
octavious said:

Didn't they make a LS430 (or maybe 460)  F-sport? I'm not sure what they go for but if it was in your price bracket I'd suggest one of those. A buddy of mine has one, and I've never ridden or driven it, but it looks super clean and mean in black. 

LS430 had the sports package. THat is the one that is what I posted pic of in the first page. 

F Sport came out for the LS460 13+. Those are $33,000

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/1/20 10:42 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

Gorgeous car, love them. Rare. But I don't care for the repairs/money pit. This is a "drive and enjoy" and not a "repair and stare at car" purchase :)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/1/20 10:44 a.m.

Looking at LS430/Avalon and Two Civic Si Sedans today.

SI SEDANS

1) 120K miles. 
Original Owner
All stock
Asking $9300

2) 68K miles 
Original owner
All stock
asking $11,200

LS430:

61K miles

1 owner

$12,500

I always buy the same cars twice and sometimes 3 times. I am really trying to get out of that habit, which is why I am hesitating on the LS430.

The car I will miss the most is the GS-R sedan, which is why I am looking forward to the Si Sedan test drive today. Lets see what happens Hope I don't get let down like the Accord Sport last night

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
7/1/20 10:50 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

I don't think any Avalon Hybrid is in my budget. 

You're looking at 2013-2016 model years with 50-75k miles in your budget

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/20 10:55 a.m.

What about the Taurus SHO or its Lincoln MKZ stablemate?

3.5L Ecoboost, AWD, etc.

Not sure of the availability of the manual though.

There's also the Buick Regal GS/Cadillac ATS also with a turbocharged engine, etc.

A bit out of the norm, but they seem to make good highway cruisers....

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/1/20 10:59 a.m.
STM317 said:
mr2s2000elise said:

I don't think any Avalon Hybrid is in my budget. 

You're looking at 2013-2016 model years with 50-75k miles in your budget

Yup if you see the post above this, you will see i am test driving an Avalon today, per your recommendation. Thanks! smiley

I must be the only moron, cross shopping an Avalon and a Civic Si today surprise

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/813441904/overview/?aff=atempest&utm_source=AutoTempest&utm_medium=TRP&utm_campaign=atempest

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/1/20 11:00 a.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

What about the Taurus SHO or its Lincoln MKZ stablemate?

3.5L Ecoboost, AWD, etc.

Not sure of the availability of the manual though.

There's also the Buick Regal GS/Cadillac ATS also with a turbocharged engine, etc.

A bit out of the norm, but they seem to make good highway cruisers....

I think I want to eliminate the avalon/ls430/civic Si, as I work down the list. 

If none of those work, I will move to the Flex, MKZ, Audi, VW Wagons that people suggested. 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
7/1/20 11:43 a.m.

Left field but how about a 13-16.5 cx5 manual? Find in your price range should be no issue. Otherwise Civic SI gets my vote.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/1/20 11:55 a.m.

Another left field option.

MINI Cooper S Countryman.

6 spd manual with AWD.

It'll have all the character you could ask for (and probably some you won't).

It'll haul 4 people reasonably well.

It has AWD and typical CUV ground clearance for winter and dirt road activities.

Resale value drops like a stone, so you should be able to find one in your price range.

Of course, the big negative is the reason the values drop like a stone - typical German car reliability and service needs.

They are far from my favorite cars, but one would meet many of your criteria list items.

My ex- has a 2018 Golf Alltrack 6 spd 4-Motion wagon.  It's a really nice car. 

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/20 11:59 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

Gorgeous car, love them. Rare. But I don't care for the repairs/money pit. This is a "drive and enjoy" and not a "repair and stare at car" purchase :)

I was just going to mention something about you looking for a car and not a lawn ornament .

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/1/20 12:02 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Another left field option.

MINI Cooper S Countryman.

6 spd manual with AWD.

It'll have all the character you could ask for (and probably some you won't).

It'll haul 4 people reasonably well.

It has AWD and typical CUV ground clearance for winter and dirt road activities.

Resale value drops like a stone, so you should be able to find one in your price range.

Of course, the big negative is the reason the values drop like a stone - typical German car reliability and service needs.

They are far from my favorite cars, but one would meet many of your criteria list items.

My ex- has a 2018 Golf Alltrack 6 spd 4-Motion wagon.  It's a really nice car. 

No on the MINI. I own a 67 cooper s, love the brand. Bought a brand new 02 Cooper S, when they came out. Went back and got JCW package. It was a horrible pile the 50K miles I had it. 

Didn't learn my lesson (refer to the previous posts of me being a moron). Bought wife a 10MCS. 80K miles. 3 water pumps. Ignition issues. 

I wouldn't take a mini cooper for free. 

(no offense to any mini owners)

**For this purchase, GOAL is 5 years 100K miles. I often don't meet the 1 year ownership goal. However, I don't want to anything really except brakes/oil change/tires/struts. Don't want leaks etc. Maintenance ok. But always needing a beauty queen level, not my cup of tea. I already have other cars in the garage, that need more attention than wives and kids :)

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/1/20 12:12 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Totally understand. Just thought I'd throw it out there since it meets some of the requirements. I have an '06 MCS JCW and while it's been reasonable for the few years and 14K miles I've driven it, I don't know if I'd count on it as a permanent DD.

I haven't talked to my ex- in awhile, but if I do I'll try to ask her how the VW has been.  She bought hers new since it was one of the last wagons you could get with a manual transmission.  I believe it's mainly her winter car as she also has a ND and a '03 MCS to split fair weather driving duties.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/1/20 12:15 p.m.

Hyundai Genesis sedan maybe?

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
7/1/20 12:26 p.m.

Since you seem to favor Honda/Acura; what about the 2009-14 Acura TL? The 6MT was available only with SH AWD. The 2004-8 TL Type S could also be had with 6MT. I realize these are both "thin on the ground" but are far better cruisers than the Civic Si or Accord MT.

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/1/20 12:41 p.m.

Your requirement of "comfortable for 4 for long roadtrips" makes me laugh at the Civic Si-sized options. If you want to road trip with four people and their stuff, comfortably, you gotta go a little bigger methinks.

Third-gen Acura TL-S could be had for $15k. The 2009-2014 4th-gen is another option with AWD and worse styling, but more modern interior/safety.

Another +1 to the VW Golf Sportwagon and Alltrack wagons. Though, like the Accord 6MT you drove, neither will be particularly fast or fun or engaging. Go for a GTI for that. I think you could do a Mk7 (basically current) in your budget and the backseats are okay enough for tall people.

I like the Mini Countryman idea but you veto'd that one.

2011-2015ish Subaru Outbacks could be had with three pedals and would totally fit your needs, though the four cylinder is slow and they are boring AF to drive. Go smaller with a Forester, perhaps?

If you can go without the third pedal, I'd look at more wagons. Ford Flex, Volvos.

Nothing that excels at highway cruising and being actual reasonable size for adults will have three pedals if you want a fairly recent, modern car. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/1/20 1:07 p.m.
RustBeltSherpa said:

Since you seem to favor Honda/Acura; what about the 2009-14 Acura TL? The 6MT was available only with SH AWD. The 2004-8 TL Type S could also be had with 6MT. I realize these are both "thin on the ground" but are far better cruisers than the Civic Si or Accord MT.

Toyota/Lexus

Honda/Acura 

are the initial preference. 

In a 1000 mile radius, there is a 07 TLS Stick shift for $15K. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/1/20 1:09 p.m.
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) said:

Your requirement of "comfortable for 4 for long roadtrips" makes me laugh at the Civic Si-sized options. If you want to road trip with four people and their stuff, comfortably, you gotta go a little bigger methinks.

Everybody's level of "comfort" is different

My LS is the very comfortable for 4 people on a 1000 mile trip. My GS-R is very comfortable for the same 4 people for the same 1000 mile trip, but it also brings joy. Of couse is there more road noise in a GS-R than LS, of course. No car is perfect. 

Our 2800 mile roadtrip in ourFJ Cruiser left a lot to be desired. 

Our 3500 mile roadtrip in our TSX Wagon was fantastic. Just makes me yearn for the MT option 

morello159
morello159 Reader
7/1/20 1:21 p.m.

Not sure if these are down in that range yet, and no MT, but a supercrew F150 with the 2.7 makes a great road trip car. I averaged 27mpg over about 1200 miles of highway driving around the southeast in mine this month. 36 gallon gas tank - I got over 800 miles to one tank (!!!). Way farther than I can go without stopping. It's also fast, comfy, has tons of space inside, and can tow my race car. 

SEADave
SEADave Dork
7/1/20 1:27 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

**For this purchase, GOAL is 5 years 100K miles. I often don't meet the 1 year ownership goal. However, I don't want to anything really except brakes/oil change/tires/struts. Don't want leaks etc. Maintenance ok. But always needing a beauty queen level, not my cup of tea. I already have other cars in the garage, that need more attention than wives and kids :)

Same reason I drive an LS430.  I've got plenty of project cars (though not as many as you) and other things to work on.  My commuting/road trip car has to just work.   In the 90k miles I have put on it, is has only needed oil changes, filters, tires, brakes and one timing belt kit with WP.   Oh I did break the little cable for the inside door handle.  Otherwise still quiet and comfortable at 227k.   

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/1/20 5:41 p.m.

3 series Diesel? I don't think we got them in a manual, but the low end torque, awd or rwd availability and the mileage might make up for them. I'm seeing dealer pricing on wagons in about the 4-18 range (for a 2014-15), might be able to get that down to where you want depending on sedan or wagon. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h15eWvnSzsu4hKHRf5A59Y0TVHV0MctSkFNqRKLxsMQH2jRTsoyHENMEAl7uZx9s