Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/10/14 3:56 p.m.

Will they sound like ass?

Will it be too loud?

The 87 4runner's muffler is rotted out. The inlet and outlet are 1.75" and centered. The cheapest mufflers I found that fit are glasspacks. I need a long one so I can cut out the rotted pipe and span the gap with muffler. The cheapest place I found was Summit. Not even E-Bay was very close.

Any thoughts?

Know were I can get a better deal than $28?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
9/10/14 3:59 p.m.

You will certainly kick yourself if you go the Cherry Bomb type route.

I have a ~$25 thrush turbo type muffler on my 302 and I swear it's quieter than stock.

I believe you can get the non-offset.

Like this: http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17704/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710624006&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=230006180000848146&cadevice=m&gclid=CIn7woPG18ACFVJo7Aod7B0ALw

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/10/14 4:11 p.m.

Really depends on the 4 I think. Though I agree with turbo mufflers suggestions, the glasspack really just takes the edge off, turbo muffler quiets it down and leaves a nice growl(no packing).

Mine (thrush glasspack) sounded alright. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S04oGz7wo3Y

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/14 4:12 p.m.

It's possible to make a glasspacks-only exhaust on a 4cyl not sound like a big mechanical bee, but not easy. Ask me how I know.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
9/10/14 4:40 p.m.

i loved the glass pack on my 89 mustang. 2 1/4 exhaust from the manifold back, turned out in front of the rear tire. but it was loud. The turbo muffler on my current DD makes the car sound horrible, it has a real tinny sound to it but it was cheap and keeps enough backpressure to stop the turbo from boost spikes

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/10/14 4:59 p.m.

The biggest problem is the 1 3/4 pipe size. Not much and not much cheap.

But I think I had the inlet outlet wrong. Looks like they are both offset.

There are a ton on Summit for less that $25. Glad you talked me out of the glasspack.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/10/14 5:50 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Use an adapter to go to 2"

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/14 6:01 p.m.

again it depends on the engine. A Honda like short stroke engine is going to sound like a bee.. something with a more "square" design will sound better. I imagine a long stroke like the MG 4's would sound pretty mellow

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/10/14 6:12 p.m.

The 22RE is a 2.4L inline 4 if that helps.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/10/14 6:18 p.m.

My experience with Toyota economy based engines (a 5S-FE and a 1ZZ) is they sound terrible missing a muffler, so thye will sound slightly less than terrible with a glasspack.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock UberDork
9/10/14 6:22 p.m.

The little BMW M10 sounds good straight piped.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
9/10/14 6:31 p.m.

my CRX with a Thrush + cat into 2" pipe, turned down behind the rear wheels doesn't sound bad at all …. at the last a-x (with EXTREMELY stringent sound requirements) the solo chair met me after my first run and said I was LOUD … then we made a point of checking with the sound man after my next run .. 87 dB … sound was 50' perpendicular to the track at a point just after the start where we all would be WOT …

so just because it's a I 4 doesn't necessarily mean it's going to sound like E36 M3 …

mine now is better on sound than when just the resonator and cat

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
9/10/14 6:33 p.m.

I have numerous turbo 4 cyls running ONLY a glasspack and they sound amazing, but the turbo is a big part of that.

Last time i had a 2" glasspack on a 2.5L it was loud as balls if you got on it but just a little loud under normal driving. I didn't hate the sound or the volume, though. I really had no problems with that exhaust system other than outgrowing it when i added a turbo.

Matthew Huizing
Matthew Huizing Reader
9/10/14 6:44 p.m.

The quality of the sound has a lot to do with the exit pipe diameter.

I liked the cheap 1.75" Cherry Bomb on my SC2. Sounded better once I added a stock 4-2-1 header too.

I have the muffler off my 325i right now, and it sounds awful. It actually sounded better with just the manifolds open.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
9/10/14 7:01 p.m.

I have the smallest possible center-in, offset out Thrush oval muffler + a dual-exit Monza tip on my 1275 Sprite and it sounds great. V.1 exhaust had a 20" glasspack and it sounded like ass.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
9/10/14 7:18 p.m.

Next time my neighbor pulls out of his street and onto mine I will try to record the sound. He has a glass pack on his 22r pickup. It sounds horrible. It cements my opinion that the 20-22r motor is one of the worst sounding four cylinders made.

That noise of that poor tractor motor struggling to turn those 36" tires haunts me. You can hear it coming 6 blocks away. I am sure the weight of all that 1/4" diamond plate rock crawling "armor" adds to the strain.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
9/10/14 8:19 p.m.

If you can't afford a turbo muffler then get a tractor muffler instead of the glass pack. Same price but at least it will do something and do it longer.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/10/14 9:42 p.m.

Put a Cherry bomb on my 87 Toyota Pickup (22r) with a gutted cat and headers and all I could hear was the little "hiss" coming from where I clamped the cherry bomb to the pipe. Other than that it was dead quiet.

I later replaced it with a Borla muffler a shop had laying around (he also cleaned up my clamp mess) and it was STILL super quiet...

That Truck only made noise when the cheap-pacesetter header to head gasket cooked and started leaking. Then it sounded like a WW2 aircraft

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
9/10/14 9:48 p.m.

I've got back to back 2" glasspacks on my Sentra, and its not too horrible. One was farty and loud as hell, added another behind and its happy.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
9/10/14 11:26 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS7QVq6hYlA

This wasn't very hard to do you know.

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
9/11/14 5:18 a.m.

Crawled under the x trail the other day and the pipe has rotted right off the muffler. Under light throttle you'd never know. It's the same 2.5 as in the se-r and altima.

Was thinking glasspack to replace it for now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
yhQ5YgRH4Dt1CgDly4JqLHl6neT6I7v8LufbUh8uOj1vEN3W8zKRyLesd0vY8Qwh