RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/29/23 9:17 p.m.

2018 RAV4 XLE AWS

Anyone know how many fuses control the Fog Lights

RAV4 Forums can't seem to provide the answer

There is a Circuit breaker and 7.5 A fuse in the passenger's  side relay / Fuse Box Marked Fog FR, under the hood.

One FRAV4  forum casually mentioned that the FR circuit was not used on US Model RAV4s

Local dealer wants a $250 diagnosis fee, plus installation labor and parts on anything they find wrong.

Bulbs are new and bench tested before being installed.

No issues for 5 years of ownership.

Thanks

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/29/23 9:49 p.m.

This screen shot of a video shows that of the under-dash fuses, #21, a 10amp is tail lamps AND FOGS.  Not to be confused with #7 for rear fog (not available in the US.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk6yvF1A_QY&ab_channel=FuseBoxInfo

Link to clearer diagrams

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/29/23 9:57 p.m.

Left field answer...Is it possible that your high beams are on?  When your high beams are on your fogs will turn off.  It's some US rule/requirement.  

RacingComputers
12/30/23 11:52 a.m.

Valid question John, but no

Headlights are on low beam

Nothing is too far in left field

RacingComputers
12/30/23 12:03 p.m.

John

I have tail and Brake lights.

If fuse # 21 is not out, it would seem that there should be Fog lights.

My logic is not always correct.

The quest continues,

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/30/23 12:46 p.m.

Being fogs (typical low to ground) as well as being up front...is there possibly a pulled wire or connector.  

Scenario: could the car been pulled too close to a curb or parking lot bump stop.  When reversing could something been pulled?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/23 12:52 p.m.

I think you are going to have to back trace the wires. I would start by seeing if there is continuity back to the fuse box. Also obviously chk continuity to ground from the socket as well.  

Can u check the continuity at the switch and make sure it is working?  

RacingComputers
12/30/23 4:33 p.m.

My thoughts also

On the  RAV4, the fog lights are well above the bottom of the front bumper, protected from the rear by the fender liners,

I hooked a jumper / extension to the factory harness and did exactly that, tested 12v going from the harness with the low beams on as well as the high beams.

No 12 v to either Fog Lamp

Valid point on checking continuity, as both lights are out.  Fuse. Harness or switch

Headlight switch (which controls fogs) works for all other feature

Almost at the point of paying the High-Way Robbery price for the Dealer Diagnostic .

Thanks everyone

The quest continues

LuigiAndretti
LuigiAndretti New Reader
12/31/23 1:29 a.m.

The FOG FR circuit is the one that delivers power to the fog lamps.  Have you checked for power at the relay?  I can email you a copy of the OE wiring diagram if that will help you. 

I just realized that you're local (or local-ish) to me; I'm in Matthews.  I'd be happy to take a look at it if you want a hand, or I can walk you through the checks over the phone if you want.  Nine zero eight, two nine five, two zero three seven.

RacingComputers
12/31/23 8:10 a.m.

Thanks for the update.

Glad to "Meet" another GRM local.

Have swapped the Fog LIght relay with the Horn relay.  No Change

Replaced the 7.5 A Fuse in the same fuse box / relay box in the Right Front Side of the Engine Compartment

The Circuit Diagram would be helpful   Racingcomputers  on yahoo

Thanks

RacingComputers
1/1/24 1:16 p.m.

Thanks all for the input

I am missing something basic here

New Bulbs  (Bench Tested and Sub Harness Tested)

Relay and 7.5 Amp fuse Replaced with new  (Located in the right front engine compartment fuse / relay box)

Fuse in the under dash fuse block #21 Replaced (Tail lights & brake lights work)

Column mounted headlight switch functions for everything but Fog Lights

And yes, the lights are in LOW BEAM

This can't be that hard

LOL

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/1/24 2:10 p.m.

What you may be missing.... 

LuigiAndretti said:

The FOG FR circuit is the one that delivers power to the fog lamps. 

I wrongly lead you to #21 under-dash.  

Mr Luigi, above directs your attention to under-hood fuse #7 which reads as FOG FR (Fog Front) 7.5 amp

https://fuse-box.info/toyota/toyota-rav4-xa40-2013-2018-fuses-and-relay

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/1/24 2:26 p.m.

Pull the fog light relay.  If it's a commonly used  relay, there should be 4 pins on it, two larger, two smaller.  Maybe.  You should have power on one of the large pins at all times.  Note the numbers on the diagram below- 1, 2, 3,+5 You  will likely have power, if everything else in the vehicle works.  If it has 2 large pins, ( 3 and 5) make a jumper wire and plug into the two pins. Lights on?  All is ok from the relay to the lights.

Now, on the control side, there should be power on one of the small relay pins, from the tail light relay  The other wire goes to the body control module, which grounds that pin to engage the relay.

The light switch is wired to the BCM.

The first thing I do with modern stuff is test every fuse in the stupid car, just because...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/1/24 2:31 p.m.

After you have lights by jumping the relay, go to the light switch, ground the GR (green, likely.  Maybe Grey) wire at pin 9.  Lights come on?  bad switch or ground.  No lights?  Go to the dealer, because it's too deep for you.

LuigiAndretti
LuigiAndretti New Reader
1/1/24 4:30 p.m.

Streetwiseguy is dead on. If you eliminate the relay and switch, you're down to either a wiring issue or a bad BCM. BCM isn't terrible to do on RAV4s.

RacingComputers
1/2/24 9:39 p.m.

Paying Job got in the way of trouble shooting today.

Wil try again tomorrow

Thanks All for the assistance

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NzjsMRY0YodU4OLLCVmSxdeiGg69lcJJxlkv4nVjqaQImqQyCfe8C64jEW5NRRQp